Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how old to declaw?

kidas
October 27th, 2004, 10:10 PM
I was wondering I have a kitten and I want to get it declawed how old do they have to be to do that?

Sneaky2006
October 27th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Oh boy.... I am not sure of age but I'm thinking it would have to be full grown because of the regrowth factor, that being said, why do you wanna declaw this baby?

Karin
October 27th, 2004, 10:16 PM
*Backing quietly out of this thread and heading for the door*

Lucky Rescue
October 27th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Declawing is not something you automatically do, like spaying. Please read the links on this page and get the facts about this unnecessary surgery before even thinking about doing this.

Declawing (http://amby.com/cat_site/declaw.html)

kidas
October 27th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Some people say to declaw them you have to wait tell they are 4 months is that true? Its because I have all leather stuff.

goldenblaze
October 27th, 2004, 11:18 PM
My thought is a cat must be between 99 and 199 years before declawing can be done, I will check and get back to you on that.

LavenderRott
October 27th, 2004, 11:51 PM
I have a lovely leather recliner and a 4 year old cat with claws. Cats can learn to scratch things besides your furniture if you take the time to teach them.

squarejane
October 28th, 2004, 12:00 AM
why on earth would you want to get a cat when you are so worried about your furniture? if you think of a kitty as your child, you wouldn't operate on your child for the sake of convenience would you?

i once rescued a cat who had been declawed. she was a mess. her previous owners had her declawed to protect their furniture. within days of the surgery, she started peeing all over the apartment. she was mistrustfull and hid. after 2 years of this the couple were getting rid of her because she was a nuisance. i loved her to bits. she never did fully get over the urinating and pooping out of her box and would do so once in awhile when stressed... we did our best to give her a great life. many cats aren't so lucky. i don't know that she wouldn't have been like that if not declawed but it seems that the operation may have just pushed her a touch too far.

make your own choices but please think about it thoroughly.

heeler's rock!
October 28th, 2004, 12:01 AM
If you have all leather stuff, and you don't want your cat to scratch, which is what cats do, why did you get a cat? Do you know what declawing does to a cat? You might change your mind after you find out......visit the link that lucky posted.....

Shae
October 28th, 2004, 12:06 AM
PLEASE view the thread in this forum "declawing"
Some vital information to be found. Hopefully, you'll realize that declawing IS NOT the way to go. Especially if your only concern is your leather furniture.

krdahmer
October 28th, 2004, 01:52 AM
For the same price as declawing you can purchase a large scratching post with sisal rope which cats prefer to leather couches anyhow, and save your kitty the pain and possible resentment of you. :love: Those things were by far the best investment I ever made....NONE of my three brutes have ever touched the furniture, here or anywhere else I take them.

heidiho
October 28th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Kidas,wrong place to be asking that,step back from the computer.......Run Forest run

marko
October 28th, 2004, 10:25 AM
I appreciate everyones' tact on this one! :thumbs up

Heidiho...lol

heidiho
October 28th, 2004, 10:28 AM
hee!! hee!!! You like that Marko?? I thought it was cute..... :evil: :evil:

sujean
October 28th, 2004, 11:57 AM
there ought to be a sticky on this topic...

1) the views of the members never waiver as to whether to declaw or not,
2) and if people would read the posts on declawing before posting questions on declawing, we would not have 10,000,000 posts on why NOT to declaw...

declawing= :mad:

lilith_rizel
October 28th, 2004, 01:22 PM
My husband couldn't believe someone would ask that here. He too is against it. It is basically taking away their right to climb, is what he says. Plus it is just plain out cruel. Leather funiture or not. If she was so concerned about the furniture, why did she get a cat? If she really wants to keep it, she should get a scratching post. I have NEVER had issues with cats clawing furniture, if it has something else to scratch.