Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What do you define as Neglect

Mysts38
October 27th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Iam interested to know what ya'll feel is neglect..Is it denying the animal basic rights to life such as food and water? is it leaving a dog crated all day..is it leaving a dog tied up outside all day or night?

What defines it for you...and please be honest.There is NO way that we can fight things like bans and puppy mills,if we dont have a clear definition of what neglect is

Blackcat2001
October 27th, 2004, 05:55 PM
I would have to say for sure
The Basics Food , water to start
also having a cold or damp place to sleep
No Vet care in my opinion is neglect as well
abuse such as beating an animal would be a part
of neglect I would say
Deb

heidiho
October 27th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Leaving dog tied up outside alone all the time,to me is neglect,having a nice air conditioned home,with a comfy crate while you are at work is not neglect to me..

heidiho
October 27th, 2004, 06:20 PM
A dog could have it alot worse then being crated while you work................................

goldenblaze
October 27th, 2004, 09:04 PM
When you ask that questions I wonder if you have even been inside a barn or shed whatever is used that houses 100-400 dogs. Puppy mills and commercial breeding have many sick and dying animals. No one comes in contact with these animals, people never see things like that we only hear about it. I was told some stories the other day on the phone from Pierre Barnoti that would make your hair curl up or throw up your lunch. Assembly-line breeding factories for the old mighty dollar,and in Qc that is ok.

I believe and hope that everyone that has a pet or ever will and even people that are not dog lovers would have enough heart to feel pain for the puppy and parents that suffer daily. No light of day, fresh air, a hug or a kiss and told they are loved. I have many sleepless nights the past few months after learning all I can about puppy mills and
commercial breeding. It is sick.

Sorry to go on and on but this to me is a touchy thing now.
Neglect to me is when a pet is left for hours each day and spend very little time with their human family. Dogs need people and people need dogs and cats. Every pet should have the time it takess to be tough and learn all they need to be a " good boy, girl" every pet should be well behaved and meet many people. I believe as pet is like a child and sorry but you can tell the kids in a store that have not been tought how to ask outside of the home, a pet is the same.
Please don't get mad at that because it is only my opinion.

Pets should be feed a proper diet and given every vet visit that is needed to insure a happy healthy life. Pets give so much, they should have it given back 100x more.

krdahmer
October 28th, 2004, 01:45 AM
I see it as: anytime a companion animal is treated as a lesser being.
Denied the necessities of life (food/water/shelter), proper health care (vet care, proper nutrition, exercise), or affection and support (love, praise, attention).
Abuse and neglect I see as two completely seperate issues, but issues that are quite often both inflicted on the pet.

Companion animals are just that....COMPANIONS, and should be treated as thus. When you take an animal into your home, you are committing to extending your familial responsibilities to include members of a furrier variety, that not only need, but deserve all the love and care you offer to your own flesh and blood.

They are dependent on their caregivers, and any lax in care is tantemount to neglect and should have suitable and swift punishment by law.

glasslass
October 28th, 2004, 02:25 PM
My dog is willing to devote all his time, love, and attention to me. I owe him no less.

heidiho
October 28th, 2004, 02:27 PM
If i could devote all my time also i would to ,but you have to work so you can feed your animal and give it things

CyberKitten
October 28th, 2004, 02:38 PM
In my former profession, I was required by law to report any signs of abuse I saw to the proper authorities, and that included domestic violence, child abuse and elder abuse to name a few of the situations. I define abuse of companison animals in the same way. Mistreatment and not caring properly for an animal is the same thing. I believe people need to have time for their companison pets. That does not mean they can't work fulltime. (Indeed that whole argument reminds me of the historic reason as to why women should stay home with their babies!) That said, any responsible person with a pet should find arrangements for their "babies" while they are at work. Some of us can bring our pets to work - and more and more companies are becomh innovative in that way (sort of like on site day care) - but other solutions are possible. (Pet sitters, providing a large dog with a room with his/her toys and necessities and maybe TV and radio - I used to leave on the TV and radio for my bunny when I was away,) It is like the old saying it is quality, not quanity of the time.

I am not a fan of crates but I guess some people like them. And some dogs get quite used to them. But I would not imagine leaving the dog in the crate over 3 hours!

Something I saw yesterday while at a shopping mall in outside Halifax irked me. Sometimes I will see someone driving a pickup truck with a large dog in the back of the truck. Clearly, there is no seat belt and the dog is able to jump out of the vehicle at any time. In this case, it was a German Shephard who was barking and was anxious to be out of there. There are no laws here that I know of about this (The dog is not leished so that might be one infraction but neither is the animal roaming freely (S/he would tough if s/he jumped out of the truck). What do others think of this?

Writing4Fun
October 28th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Denied the necessities of life (food/water/shelter), proper health care (vet care, proper nutrition, exercise), or affection and support (love, praise, attention).
OK, I'll play the devil's advocate here - I saw an episode of Animal Cops where they were investigating a GSD who lived in a wrecker's yard (scrap yard, whatever you call them where you're from). He was supposed to be their "guard dog", but he was so friendly and happy to be getting attention from the animal control officers that I don't think he was guarding much of anything. One of the officers commented that it was so sad that such a beautiful, happy, friendly dog had to live in a place like that. BUT, since there were no signs of abuse, he was given adequate shelter, food, water, space to exercise, there was no law against it. What is your position on these types of dogs? Dogs with jobs, so to speak, not family pets? Should that also be outlawed? Just curious. ;)

heidiho
October 28th, 2004, 02:43 PM
AGAINST THE LAW putting a dog in The bed of the truck is horrible............OUTLAW IT...............................

Writing4Fun
October 28th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Heidi, don't you mean "BANNED!"

heidiho
October 28th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Yeah whichever,make it against the law,ban it,i hate seeing :evil: :evil: dogs in bed of trucks..................

goldenblaze
October 28th, 2004, 03:21 PM
OK, I'll play the devil's advocate here - I saw an episode of Animal Cops where they were investigating a GSD who lived in a wrecker's yard (scrap yard, whatever you call them where you're from). He was supposed to be their "guard dog", but he was so friendly and happy to be getting attention from the animal control officers that I don't think he was guarding much of anything. One of the officers commented that it was so sad that such a beautiful, happy, friendly dog had to live in a place like that. BUT, since there were no signs of abuse, he was given adequate shelter, food, water, space to exercise, there was no law against it. What is your position on these types of dogs? Dogs with jobs, so to speak, not family pets? Should that also be outlawed? Just curious. ;)

I watched that show too it was so sad :( I hate to see things on there but I have to watch sometimes cause they do save so many animals. Did you see the horse thing, how sad. Anyway animals give so much love and why is it so hard to some to give it back in return. Food, water and shelter is not enough...... when will people get it. :confused:

Luvmypit
October 28th, 2004, 03:51 PM
I know dogs are social animals period. I don't think any animal should be left outside to the elements for whatever reason. I think dogs who have jobs need a little love too. They are like people in the sense that they want attention and love and want to socialize. Its in their nature. All animals should have all basic neccesities that including and not limited to food water proper shelter and vet trips. I personally really have a problem with dogs staying out all night. I have a guy at work whos family lives in bancroft and they keep there hounds outside. It just bugs me and I know some will disagree. I know my dog gets cold just laying on the floor maybe its because I have created a big huge suck but I think thats what dogs are all about. And all animals for that matter.

You know if you aren't petting, hugging, sweet talking and kissing your dog then not only is he/she missing out you are too. Some people get dogs for the wrong reasons. The junkyard thing I think would be better if there were more then one dog and there shelters heated. That they get toys to play with and someone atleast spends some time with them everyday. Its not that hard to throw a ball to a dog for an hour or give him a good rub down .

lilith_rizel
October 28th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Did you guys see the episode where they had to take two horses away form their owner because she neglected the on horse's infection by the hoof, and it got so bad, that it was swollen three times the size! The owner told the authorities that she didn't know about it. For an infection to get that bad, it would have taken weeks. She must not have been out there to take care of the horses at all during that Time. :mad:

I think that neglect of an animal would have the same circumstances as neglect of a child.

Writing4Fun
October 28th, 2004, 04:46 PM
The episode that really freaked me out was the horse with the healed hole right through his neck. You could see daylight through that thing! :eek:

The thing about "neglect" is that it's all subjective, as proven in this post. Which one of us is qualified to determine whether or not a person loves their pet enough? So, to enforce cruelty laws, there have to be concrete guidelines in place for enforcement officers to follow. Hence the shelter/food/water/medical attention stipulations. Those are easy enough to see and prove. I personally feel that all pets should be loved and treated as members of the family. I know some people who think I love my dog a little too much. :o

Luvmypit
October 28th, 2004, 04:54 PM
You can never love them too much thats for sure... well unless your into beastiality hee hee.....

heidiho
October 28th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Oh my god that was funny................. :D :D :D :D

CyberKitten
October 28th, 2004, 05:10 PM
We do not have that channel (program) here , sigh!

As for the dogs in the pickup truck, I quite agree with those who said it SHOULD be illegal. It is not in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick. I checked. So yet another issue to lobby for!!

lilith_rizel
October 28th, 2004, 05:44 PM
I agree with luvmypit.