Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

meat eating dog

bosch
October 27th, 2004, 03:46 PM
About three weeks ago we got a 7 month old lhasa-shi x. We were told she was a very finnicky eater , does not eat dog food and only eats meat. We tried 3 top natural quality dog food but she refused to eat them. She only eats meat and will take a few bites of banana or maybe 4 beans if hand feed this fruit or vegetable. Is it healthy for this dog to only eat meat? She will eat any kind of meat

Mysts38
October 27th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Dogs need other nutrients found in other foods beside meat....they need carbs etc for a healthy immune system and to sustain body weight and high energy..Meat alone isnt enough and kibble helps to keep the digestive tract moving and the teeth and gums clean..

What you can do,is mix a bit of meat into a good quality kibble,and gradually reduce the amount of meat you put in..OR you can go and get a can of beef broth,,mix a bit of it with water and drizzle it on the kibble to see if that will tempt pup

OR you can get some puppy canned food,mix maybe a teaspoon into the kibble and see if that will entice her..DONT give up tho..get her onto a balanced diet as soon as possible

Cinnabear
October 27th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Look up BARF. It's a raw diet of meat, some grains and others ingred. There is a few here that feed it to their dogs. :)

heeler's rock!
October 27th, 2004, 06:35 PM
I feed my dog Kia Mountain Dog Raw food. It has apples, carrots, celery, and other stuff in it for a pretty complete diet. We have been told not to ever mix the raw food with kibble. Kibble takes 12 hours to digest in a dogs stomache, and raw only takes 6. By mixing the two, your dog has a higher chance of contracting a bug like salmonella or e.coli as the raw will stay in the digestive tract for the 12 hours insted of 6. You should check out Mountain Dog food. Their food isn't organic, but they do inspect the farms the meat comes from. My girl loves it and we just add ground flax seed and cottage cheese to her food. We also throw in some extra apples and/or carrots. Their website is www.mountaindogfood.com. For more high quality and organic and free range food, try Urban Carnivore or Arusha. The food we feed is called chicken and veg. bone in. Good luck! :D