Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ok Bit of a Dilemma

Mysts38
October 27th, 2004, 03:46 PM
My Friend has a 14 week old puppers..my friend works ..when I didnt have hannah I use to pup sit full time,but now with Hannah I find it way too much.,

I will take her pup out for an hour to play etc,,but when I put her back in she whines so much it breaks my heart...what is worst,,to take her out for a short time then put her back in her kennel..this maybe causing pup anxiety or just leave her alone for the day :confused:

mastifflover
October 27th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Well that can be a problem but you can' t leave a 14 week old for that long without a pee and poo break and some lovin. She should be okay I would rather have her go out. It is a hard decision well more heart wrenching than anything.

goldenblaze
October 27th, 2004, 03:50 PM
That is along time for a puppy of that age to be in a crate and be alone. In my opinion. Is there no one that can help take the puppy during the day or spent more time with it? How sad poor thing.

Luvmypit
October 27th, 2004, 03:51 PM
I would say for you to keep doing it. Its better she gets the exercise then doesn't. Also I would say once you do this a couple more times she will recognize the routine and should calm down a bit.

LL1
October 27th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Why did she get a puppy?

LL1
October 27th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Surprised people would sell a pup that young to someone when they work fulltime. Actually, I'm not.

Luvmypit
October 27th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Especially for a puppy it does cause them to be overly excited if they are penned for too long. i found that with my pit if I miss a walk which a rarely do only if its raining he will be overly hyper and more aggressive in play. Once hes walked hes much more relaxed. Remember shes a pup so even if she is a little aggressive she should get over it once she is socialized more and more with Hannah. Make sure the owner is teaching her also not to bite or nip. Its never too early.

LL1
October 27th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I figured the dog must be from a breeder.

A True Rescue
October 27th, 2004, 04:09 PM
To me people that adopt young pupies like that are wrong breaders private or rescue they should always check the story out thats why there are app and so on and as a rescue i let everyone see the dog and meet the dog but I also when it all over have to choise,the right home and never is it first come fist serve that why dogs became aggressive and mean they are always chewing and barking for attation and there is no one there :mad: s

GsdDiamond
October 28th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Devil's advocate here:

In all fairness, you can't expect everyone who wants or obtains a dog to stay home 24/7. I work full time and so does my partner. When we first got our little girl, I took half days off for a week, just to spend time with her. I then weaned it down to every couple of hours to go home, let her go pee, and put her back in her kennel for the next 2 hour session.

This happened until her bladder was strong enough to hold it all day. At that point we left her alone in her kennel all day, and let her go nuts at night. Some training experts say to only let a dog out of it's kennel (until they're potty trained) for short spurts. This helps reduce the possibility of accidents and gets the dog used to the kennel.

We've been doing it this way since day one, and we have a very well adjusted (properly kennel trained) *almost* 9 month old pup.

If this woman is a single person who doesn't get out much, to expect her to sit at home all night, wanting the companionship of a dog, but deny her, is just plain wrong. She's alone (I'm reaching for stars here) and needs to work. She wants a dog fine. Properly trained it'll be just fine being kennelled all day. Leave it some toys in the kennel that are fairly tough, cause the pup WILL chew them up, and let the one whine all it wants. Once used to the kennel, the whining will stop.

So let's not all jump on this poor woman's back until we know the whole story. If she turns out to be neglectful, THEN by all means, tear her a new one. After all, we're not all perfect pet owners are we?

heidiho
October 28th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Ditto to gsd diamond,not all of us can stay home and eat bon bons and hang out with our dog........So that doesnt mean we shouldnt have one,go look at the shelters,THAT is a lonely dog..................

LL1
October 28th, 2004, 10:41 AM
The dog is a puppy. The breeder is equally stupid in my opinion. And 6 months now if/when the dog is completely wild and untrained - who do you think will get the call to take the dog? Rescue. Classic story, hopefully won't happen here.

Writing4Fun
October 28th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Whoa now, Heidi. Not all of us who are lucky enough to be home spend our time hanging with the dog and eating bon bons, ya know. (smoothes her ruffled feathers)

IMO, if you work all day, you need to make allowances for your pup. For our first dog, we both did work 9-5. She wasn't crated. Instead, she had a very large room to herself (the laundry room downstairs). She had her bed, food, water, lots of toys, and her pee papers in one corner. She did very well with the transition to "going" outdoors. Didn't seem confused by it at all. Dogs are pretty smart little characters, you know. Let's give them a little credit. ;)

heidiho
October 28th, 2004, 11:09 AM
The bon bons was a joke,but for the ones who say people that work 8 or 9 hours a day,shouldnt have a dog or puppy,that is just plain wrong..

LL1
October 28th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Who said that?

heidiho
October 28th, 2004, 11:12 AM
I said sitting home eating bon bons,that was a joke

LL1
October 28th, 2004, 11:19 AM
I disagree with your opinion. I would not place a pup to be left that long alone if they did not have other arrrangements in place.

,but for the ones who say people that work 8 or 9 hours a day,shouldnt have a dog or puppy,that is just plain wrong..

heidiho
October 28th, 2004, 11:28 AM
I would not get a puppy again now that i have to work 8 hours a day myself,BUT,if the option is a shelter or being home alone for 8 hours in a nice loving home,then yeah there is nothing wrong with that......

LL1
October 28th, 2004, 11:35 AM
I run a rescue, not a shelter, but it would depend on the shelter.

Writing4Fun
October 28th, 2004, 11:47 AM
I said sitting home eating bon bons,that was a joke
Right. Sorry. A little touchy about that (you know, the whole "stay-at-home-Mom isn't really a job" debate).

LL1, what would you consider to be "acceptable arrangements", in order to allow a puppy to be adopted to a working couple? Just curious here. Maybe the answer will help some of these other folks finally be able to adopt their puppies.

heidiho
October 28th, 2004, 11:52 AM
I would never say that to any single mom that has kids,that is a full time job i agree...

TalonsMa
October 28th, 2004, 11:55 AM
IMO, if you work all day, you need to make allowances for your pup. For our first dog, we both did work 9-5. She wasn't crated. Instead, she had a very large room to herself (the laundry room downstairs). She had her bed, food, water, lots of toys, and her pee papers in one corner. She did very well with the transition to "going" outdoors. Didn't seem confused by it at all. Dogs are pretty smart little characters, you know. Let's give them a little credit. ;)

I agree completely, when we first got Solara I brought her to work with me...then we whittled it down so that she got used to being at home by herself all day. We did not crate her all day tho, we too have a pen, that my husband built for her that has her crate, food & water bowl, all her toys, paper for peeing etc. We did crate her at night however. When she was 14 weeks we started letting her out of her crate at nightime (hoping she would sleep later - it worked), she still held her pee all night. Now at 17 weeks, if she is in her pen, she barks to be let outside, she hates to go in her pen. Even while we are at work all day..somedays she holds it, other days she doesn't - but she is perfectly well adjusted. When she is upstairs with us (she almost always is when we're home unless we ca't watch her 100%) she goes to the door when she has to go t the bathroom.

Anyways the question was whether Mysts should continue what she is doing, and I say yes :) If I had someone to go let Solara out to play during the day, I'm sure she would love that!!

LL1
October 28th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Hmm - doggy daycare or a family member that would spend a couple hours with the pup per day, or someone who worked close to home and went home on lunch hour, a dog walker that came a couple times a day, or even better, someone who worked at home I suppose.

LL1, what would you consider to be "acceptable arrangements", in order to allow a puppy to be adopted to a working couple? Just curious here. Maybe the answer will help some of these other folks finally be able to adopt their puppies.

GsdDiamond
October 28th, 2004, 12:41 PM
The dog is now 6 months old and physically capable of being kenneled for 8 hours without a pee break.

Agreed, a "wild" dog without the proper training is less than desireable. But in all seriousness, I don't think I would call this particular dog wild. Untrained yes, capable of learning, yes. But wild? Not really. The dog has some serious issues that need dealing with, and even though she's only working 2-3 days per week, she can deal with these issues when she is around.

Not all breeders are so strict that they won't allow a working family a pet. The average pet owner is paying more for doggy daycare, food, treats, and toys than the average parent. We both need to work to keep the dog in the lifestyle it's grown accustomed to.

If I cannot be home for 8 hours in the day, are you saying that I should not have a dog?

If all people were denied dogs, or any pet for that matter, based on how many hours a day the pet would be left alone, there would a ton more animals in the shelters/rescues than there is now. Either that or there would be a whole whack of feral animals and many more cremations happening.

I defy one person to tell me that I can't have my dog, or I shouldn't have gotten her, because we both work full time. The dare is there....any takers?

heidiho
October 28th, 2004, 12:45 PM
What i dont get is people that drive all over the country to show there dogs,well there dogs are crated ALOT...............................

LL1
October 28th, 2004, 12:48 PM
The topic is about a 14 week old puppy in a kennel for 9.5 hours a day.

No need to dare me.

The dog is now 6 months old and physically capable of being kenneled for 8 hours without a pee break.

GsdDiamond
October 28th, 2004, 12:55 PM
The topic is about a 14 week old puppy in a kennel for 9.5 hours a day.

No need to dare me.

Arg! Yes....how the heck did I get 6 months out of 14 weeks??? Agreed then....the pup is too young to be alone all day at just over 3 months. My sincere apologies!!!!

So I take it, then, that people who work full time and want to own pets are not the target of your post? Just people with very young pups? I can totally understand that. When the bladder is strong enough, then it's ok. A person's got to work... right?

:sorry:

heidiho
October 28th, 2004, 12:56 PM
I think alot of people here have an odd idea of what is cruel.......I would prefer not to have to crate a 3 and a half month old puppy,but the dog WILL survive it is not the end of the world............

sammiec
October 28th, 2004, 12:59 PM
http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/crazy/167.gif JER-RY, JER-RY, JER-RY!!!

*puts down popcorn*

Okay, so the real issue is a puppy in a crate without a pee break for 8 hours... *raising hand* Guilty here.

We had a couple fo weeks when Briggs was 8 months where she would have to go 8 hours do to changes in work schedules.. it's was sad and difficult.. but I wasn't about to give my dog away because of it. She gets love and attention and she knows it.

The question WAS should Mysts keep taking to the dog out. Yes. The pupper needs a little pee pee time and some attention. They whine because that's what puppies do, they want CONSTANT attention. If you make the decision to put her back in the crate and she whines, ignore her, stick with your decision. If you give her attention for whining you're increasing the problem. You're doing your friend and the puppy a favour by taking her out for an hour. That breaks up the day for her more than you know...

LL1
October 28th, 2004, 12:59 PM
S'ok! :)

Yes, we definitely agree! Almost all of my adopters work, as well as my fosters. But for young pups, we agree, it is different.
So I take it, then, that people who work full time and want to own pets are not the target of your post? Just people with very young pups? I can totally understand that. When the bladder is strong enough, then it's ok. A person's got to work... right?

GsdDiamond
October 28th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Yes...we all agree. Mysts should keep doing what she's doing! Let the little puppers out for a pee break. Like I said earlier, I was able to go home every 2 hours (I have the best boss in the world!) so it wasn't an issue for me.

Now....hows about that group hug we all keep hearing about? Hmmm? :love: :love:

sammiec
October 28th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Mysts I think you have touched on more then just a crating issue with your last post. I think you should step in and have a friendly talk with your friend about the way the dog is being raised. A puupy tied out at 14 weeks!?!? That's insane... there weeks are the most important for that dog to be gaining life long experieinces... those weeks pretty well determine the demeanor of that dog... the socialization with people and other animals, training... it's all SOO important!!!

TalonsMa
October 28th, 2004, 03:29 PM
We're going to start doggy daycare next week! I am so excited :) They won't take a pup til it's housebroken, and Solara is now..or close enough ;)

Karin
October 28th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Friend who has the 14 week old pup didnt come home till 7:30! her hubby went to work late at 11am..so pup was home alone CRATED for 8.5 hours OH MY GOD....I really wish she would give the pup up...I just wanted to go over there and blast her..but her attitude is.."shes just a dog" UGH UGH :mad: :mad:

She is still a friend? Please do something. Anything. She's just a person, she will not miss the puppy.

Please get the puppy out of there!