October 27th, 2004, 01:13 PM
I have 3 pugs 1 is still a Pup at 7 months Lucy
She has all the bad habits the other 2 didn't
She chews everything I mean everything
She has toy's coming out of her ying yang
including Chew toys , I have resorted to Bones
Hard , Big bones ! Still isn't helping
We crated her for the 1st 6 months then we tried
uncrating her & confining her to the kitchen only ( gated )
where her crate is ( business training ) was great worked out
But I wanted to try & leave her in the kitchen so she knew
she could come & go out of her crate as well as learn to hold herself
Well isort of backfired ( we just renovated the kitchen )
She chewed every corner of every wall in there
If we have her in the family room with us she sneaks off
if were not looking and chews the corner of our stairs
She also Digs everything in sight !
I have now resorted to gating everything she is not aloud to dig
( Thank-god ) my poor garden ! Above all she just does not listen to commands at all ! it took me 6 months to get the Sit ! command in
Now I am trying the come , But she is so stubborn !
I make her do what she is told and still looks at me like I'm retarted
I have also tried worhing with the treats NOT happening
My other 2 have their treats taken away cause she is such a Piggy
I have started with keeping her right beside me when treats are givin out
just so the other 2 get theirs , When is she going to grow out of this
I have to have my eye on her every minute of every second or else
PHEW k that was a great reliever , I know she is a Puppy but GEEZ
She is the worst one out of all of them .
Deb

Mysts38
October 27th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Ok now exhale and relax...lol sorry.First off,I would really really suggest you go back to using the crate...shes safe,and everything in the house is safe and it does give you both a breather from each other

2nd..Make sure she gets LOTS of exercise..so much so,she wont have the energy to chew things she aint suppose too

3.INVEST in some bitter apple spray,or hot pepper sauce and generally lace the things she likes to chew most..let her get a taste ofthat

4.When you see her chewing,distract her as fast as you can and give her a toy she can chew.PRAISE PRAISE when she is chewing on her own things

At 6 months she should be watched carefully..her adult teeth are bugging her now and itch and she NEEDS to chew..she isnt doing it to make you mad,its instinctive in them...so provide her with TONS of chew toys,,spread em all over the house and when she goes to get one PRAISE PRAISE and perhaps treat!...If you dont want her to wander,keep her tethered to you at all times when you are around,that way you can watch her..and it helps to give commands like sit/down/stay

OBEDIENCE SCHOOL-if you havent already take the time and invest a few weeks to train her and YOU properly..to deal with these issues...

Try and anticipate the chewing BEFORE it starts....thats what I mean by tethering,so you can watch her every move...You can add a bit of scent to her toys..like a dab of pepperment or orange oil on her own toys..then show her something she CANT have and say "No" then show her a toy she can have and let her smell it..when she takes it PRAISE PRAISE...

Most of al,take some deep breaths and count to 10 when you catch her doing something inappropriate..... :thumbs up

elmoy
October 28th, 2004, 06:16 AM
I know what you're going through. My American Eskimo was really bad for chewing the corner of the walls.

What worked for me is: I bought a bottle of really cheap perfume (dollar store brand) and put a quick spray on the corner. He wouldn't even go near it. Never chewed walls or anything else after that.

m_apol
October 28th, 2004, 09:57 AM
I have a two month old puppy and the chewing is horrendous! I bought her tons of chew toys, which helped greatly and give her lots of exercise. So now after a long walk, she just plops down the floor, tired. Last night she covered herself in styrofoam (from the bottom of her bed) by digging through the thing. The squeaky toys are pretty effective once she discovered how to make it sound. Hope she doesn't discover the sides of the walls :eek: .