Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can of Worms? or in this case Bones

Mysts38
October 27th, 2004, 12:22 PM
In talking with a friend of mine, we got on the topic of bones..and I told her that hannah gets bones all the time..she said to me " oh no dont give her any bones that will make her possessive and agressive..WELL GIMME A BREAK

I tried to explain to her that ANY thing,a toy,whatever can make a dog possesive if the dog isnt trained from day one to relinquish what they are chewing...

But she stood firm ....

So what do you think?

GsdDiamond
October 27th, 2004, 12:30 PM
After saying what I did, in the other post regarding Hannah growling at you, I can confidently tell you that if you train her right, giving her bones will be no different than with any other object.

Being possessive of any object is undesireable, but especially when it comes to food. If you stick to your guns, be firm, but not harsh, then Hannah will realize that you are the boss. Giving up her bone to you doesn't mean the end of the world. Have other people try taking things away from her, and then give them back, as well. That way she learns that it's not only you she has to be good for. I think you'll do a wonderful job in training Hannah.

As a side note, I have a very healthy dog, aside from her allergies, and I give her bones (cow thigh - smoked) whenever I can. As a matter of fact, I have an order for two more from the cattle farmer we bought her summer bones through. It's good for them, and it makes their teeth very white! Diamond's chewed up big bones, little bones, and swallowed a whole bunch of the fragments. I always keep a very close eye on her when she's eating something that can be broken up, and I'm not worried about her in the least. (that and I live just down the block from her vet who works out of an emergency hospital).

One of my friends, who has a young male boxer, looks at me like I'm smoking something illegal when I suggest giving bones. There's no way in heck she's going to do that for her dog!!! Some people just don't think it's a good idea. Plain and simple.

Mysts38
October 27th, 2004, 12:53 PM
I had a 95lb golden that would give ANYTHING to me,because I trained him that way,and that included the juicy cow thigh bone he got to chew on...they are smoked too and he loved them

On the other hand myfriends dog is possessive about anything and shes still a pup..she even goes afte hannah if hannah takes one of her toys..so c'est la vie

Dogs need to chew,and quite frankly,I know some dogs who LOVE kongs and nylabones..but I never had a dog who did..they preferred the taste of a real bone..I have tried andtried to get hannah to take a kong..Shes too little yet for real bones,so she chews on something called Health bone..its for eating but very hard for her to break down..so it satisfies her chewing

"Pattywhack give a dog a bone...this old man came rolling home"

GsdDiamond
October 27th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Your friend is going to have a real problem on her hands when that dog is older (if it's still a pup that is). I had a dog that was EXTREMELY possessive of ANYTHING it got it's mouth on. It was drawing blood on purpose at the tender age of 4 months. There was nothing I could do for it, other than bring the pup into the Humane Society and tell them what was happening. I don't know what happened to the dog after that, but I'm hoping that someone adopted her and was able to correct the problem. It would sit, defiantly, on the foot stool, look at me and pee. If I tried to pick it up to go outside...chomp. I have a couple of scars from that nasty dog myself.

As long as Hannah isn't allowed to act that way, then you won't have a problem. You're a good mom, so I don't see possessivness being an issue.

lilith_rizel
October 27th, 2004, 03:49 PM
We have given our puppy bones from day one. He has NEVER been aggressive over anything. I can take anything I want from him with absolutely no reaction what so ever. I didn't have to train him to be that way, it is just how he is.
I just bought Cano a huge beef basted bone last saturday. It is rawhide, so I don't let him chew on it all the time. I let him have it for about an hour or so, a couple times a week, then take it away. All he does is just follow me afterward, with pleading eyes, because he wants it back. He loves that thing. He spends more time tossing it around than anything, so that is why he gets to have it for a while.
Myst, I think that you know you are right. Maybe your friend just had some bad incidents with it. I know some dogs who have become aggressive over their bones in the past, but not too many. I think it is all in the training, and the age of the pup, when you start taking away their things. Cano is getting very good at "drop" with toys, but still needs to learn with his new bone, but he is getting a bit better. I have figured out that if I want him to GIVE me the bone, to give him an ice cube in return. Don't ask why, but he loves to eat them. I think that it is really cute.