Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some $@&^%ers dog attacked mine!!

Gazoo
October 26th, 2004, 10:35 PM
I was dog walking with a friend at an offleash near my house. My fairly new 9 mth old rescue, an Australian Cattle Dog puppy, is still somewhat apprehensive around other dogs and barked twice at a large long haired shepherd that was 2x the size of my pup. The shepherd growled and attacked my puppy. :eek: Chasing him and snapping at him while my puppy yelped whined and screamed!! :sad:

I yelled at the dog to stop because the dumbass owner couldn't control her dog at all. The dog broke off the chase shortly after I yelled (I'm a 240lb guy with a deep load yell!!) My pup came back to us on three legs whining and hurt...not sure if he got bitten or tripped as at one point he went flying throught the air and landed on his back!!!

The shepherd's owner didn't even apologize. In fact she was upset that I yelled at her dog!!

I told her that if her dog was aggressive towards other dogs she should leave him at home or at least keep him leashed.

She told me it was my fault because my puppy barked and I should leave my puppy at home!!!!

Needless to say I kinda lost it and called her a few choice words and then walked away.

Damn am I mad :mad: The freakin nerve :mad: :mad: :mad:

Man I wanted to light that crazy &%*$%$ on fire.

OK I vented now I feel somewhat better.

heeler's rock!
October 26th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Oh dear! That's awful! I can't believe she blamed you! How is your little puppy? I hope he's okay! You didn't pick him up after the attack did you?

If you did, you probably did because he was scared, but that will just reinforce his fear of bigger dogs. Trust me, heelers are a great breed of dog and can definitely handle themselves once they're older. Once your pup comes into his own, he will most likely be the alpha dog wherever he goes! I know my female is like that! My 1 year old is already coming into his own.

I'm sorry that happened to you and chin up, tomorrow's another day!! :D

Gazoo
October 26th, 2004, 11:03 PM
I'm pretty sure he's OK the leg moves fine and he's not limping anymore tonight...Probably just a strain or a pull...some kinda soft tissue thing.

Nope didn't pick him up.....just checked his leg to make sure their was no gash and that it wasn't broken...then kept on walking. Gonna go back their ASAP so he gets to meet lots of other dogs so he doesn't become neurotic!!

Thanx for the concern, :)

heeler's rock!
October 26th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Your welcome! I hate hearing about irresponsible jerks that like to put the blame on everyone else for their dog's mistakes. :)

So where did you get your little furbaby? What attracted you to Australian Cattle dogs? I'm very partial to heelers, as you can tell!!! :)

MEEKA
October 26th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Ohhh I'm Sorry To Hear About Your Puppy. I Hope He's Ok. I Take My Bichon To An Off Leash Park All The Time, She Barks At All The Dogs! I've Been Lucky I Guess, I've Never Had A Problem. I Hope Your Puppy Feels Better.

Gazoo
October 26th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Got Diesel from a Herding Dog Rescue here in Alberta.
He's a great fella, smart, quick learner, loves my kids, likes to play, mischievous. Here' some pics of the fuzzy butt.

He might be a cross but it's hard to tell; his colorings off kinda blue merled with some red and he's already 20 inches at 9mths. He's also fairly narrow. Maybe he's just not a good example of the breed or crossed with an Aussie or a BC!?!? Who knows?

Already have an 8 year old retired showdog...Red Tri Australian Shepherd named Scarlet but have always liked heelers.

Grew up in cattle country here in AB and had farm neighbors with a tough little blue heeler that I thought was great when i was a kid. So my wife and I figured... one dog is good two must be better ;) Right?

heeler's rock!
October 26th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Oh my goodness!! He's ADORABLE!!! I got hooked on heelers and heeler crosses when I got Red from a rescue here in Calgary a few years ago. Here's a pic of my babies!!! :D

Gazoo
October 26th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Good lookin bunch!! I especially like the white/blue one lying down.

Helix right?

Are you sure he's a cross? He looks like he might be a throwback...Dalmations were used to change the breed about 100 years ago and he kinda looks like he has Dalmation colors?!?!

heeler's rock!
October 26th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Yeah he does have the dalmation colourings. We're pretty sure he's crossed as his tail curls when it's up. My hubby swears he's crossed with a border collie, but I dunno. My red heeler looks like a dingo! She also has the same jaw structure as a bull terrier we think, which was also bred into heelers. All I know is he's 100% cute! :)

So where in Alberta do you live? Also, what's the name of the rescue you got your baby from?

Gazoo
October 26th, 2004, 11:48 PM
I'm in Calgary too!! "The incident" occured at the semi legal off leash near Beddington Trail along Nose Creek. Where are you in Calgary?

The rescue is a great big hearted lady with a Kennel near Didsbury-Caroline associated with Border Collie Friends Rescue www.bordercollie.ca. The site often has some ACD's along with the BC's.

heeler's rock!
October 26th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Cool!!! I'm waaaaayyyyy south though. I live in Copperfield which is next to McKenzie towne. It's off of Hwy 22x. We should see if we can get our furbabies all together for a play date sometime!!!! How fun would that be? I love making friends on this site!! :D

Gazoo
October 26th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Oh so you live on the wrong side of the city then. :p

heeler's rock!
October 27th, 2004, 12:02 AM
:p Hahahaha! Verrrrryyyy funny, wise guy! :D I'm closer to the equator so it's always warmer down south!!!! Hahahahaha!!! LOL! :p

Anyways, it's past my bedtime so PM me and we'll see if we can't meet somewhere one weekend for our pups to play! I'm sure they'd have a great time! :D

Petographer
October 27th, 2004, 01:36 AM
Deisel is beautiful. I'd be freakin too. BTW, any snow there in Alberta yet? :D

lilith_rizel
October 27th, 2004, 09:11 AM
I used to volunteered on a farm with blue heelers. Most of them were really nice, but htere was this one, I'd assume he was the alpha, that hated everyone, but the farm owner. He was really aggressive, and I wouldn't even go near him. Luckily only the females, and pups were allowed in the cattle barn, so I was able to gain their trust fairly easy. Sonny, the farm owner, offered me a pup once, but I was still living with my mom, and she said no :( He was even going to give me the pick of the litter, just because he enjoyed my help on the farm, he said it would work as my payment, being that I refused money.

Gazoo
October 27th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Diesel is beautiful. I'd be freakin too. BTW, any snow there in Alberta yet? :D

Yup a few cm on the ground. (But at least its not raining :p)

Always makes it hard to find the dog poops in the yard.

Kinda like a doggie poop minefield :eek:

mastifflover
October 27th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Don't you just love when people who cannot control their dogs blame you. Let alone the fact that yours is a puppy and hers is an adult, I have to admit I would have probably reacted the same way. I glad your pup is okay

Gazoo
October 27th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Don't you just love when people who cannot control their dogs blame you. Let alone the fact that yours is a puppy and hers is an adult, I have to admit I would have probably reacted the same way. I glad your pup is okay

I feel kinda bad that I lost it on the dumbass owner. I yelled a few choice words because her attitude just grated me.

Plus the adrenaline was flowing.....I wanted to beat her and her dog up :evil:

:D

heeler's rock!
October 27th, 2004, 10:12 AM
That sounds like something I would be feeling too! Not very nice though, but she shouldn't have been so rude about her dog being a jerk!

As for the snow, I would also rather have snow than rain. I walk dogs for a living and I can't imagine what it's gonna be like walking dogs in -20!! I was freezing last week when it was only -7!!! YIKES!!!! :eek:

Schwinn
October 27th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Glad to hear your dog is okay. We had a similar experience, except the dog came up and started snarling and snapping in our dog's face. And the owner didn't have a leash on it. My wife was able to control Daisy pretty easy, but she got snarly. Then the owner yelled at my wife. It's a good thing I wasn't there. I won't say why, except that I once kicked a 65 yard field goal, and when I heard the story, I was ready to repeat. Of course, Daisy is part pit, so I guess there's no need to get into that whole thing...

I hope your pup is fine. If he seems to limp at all, try glucosamine. I've been taking it for a gym injury, and when Daisy started walking on three legs, I gave it to her. The vet said that was excellent (I take three tablets a day, we give her one). We noticed a big difference. And don't waste you money on doggy specific stuff. It's 3 times as expensive for a third of the amount. As long as he'll take a pill. (We just say "open" to our "vicious breed", a little neck massage, and down it goes!)

Luvmypit
October 27th, 2004, 11:12 AM
I use cheese to feed my dog his pills. He falls for it every time. i used to have a border collie that would spit it out no matter how we tried to hide it. He was so smart....

MBRA518
October 27th, 2004, 11:29 AM
I'm pretty sure he's OK the leg moves fine and he's not limping anymore tonight...Probably just a strain or a pull...some kinda soft tissue thing.

Nope didn't pick him up.....just checked his leg to make sure their was no gash and that it wasn't broken...then kept on walking. Gonna go back their ASAP so he gets to meet lots of other dogs so he doesn't become neurotic!!

Thanx for the concern, :)

My rottie was attacked that way 3 times.. twice by the same dog in the same park... (it was a dalmation)... the second time she was much older (the first time she was about the age of your dog) and I was secretly pleased when she flipped him on his back :evil: This was in a large park and they weren't really trying to kill each other - just a fight for dominance but Rosie "won" none the less and no one was hurt.

Rosie was fine with other dogs for quite a while after that - although she was (and is) usually the chaser and not the chasee when playing... and usually growling and such in play. Becuase she does play on the rough side - I have never let her play with small dogs - she could too easily hurt them, while not meaning to - however there have been a few JRT that she played with - they are so aggressive that she just backs down - kind of funny watching an 80 lb rottie running with her "tail" between her legs with a 10lbs JRT chasing after her..LOL

But after I moved to ontario - and didn't really know any people for doggy play dates Rosie has gotten more agressive and intolerant of other dogs - espeically on leash... I know it's all for show and she will not actually hurt another dog - but I don't expect any other owner to beleive me (imagine that - no really my snarling rottie will not hurt your cowering lab - really :angel: ) I don't usually let her play with dogs she doesn't know... unless "I" know the dog - they are in a neutral area and both are off leash. She has one lab cross she walks with a few times a week now - the lab is the same as her and they seems to have an agreement and tend to have fun together.

So just make sure you keep you pup getting sociallized on a regular basis, so he doesn't develop agressiveness out of fear like my Rosie. Good luck

Cinnabear
October 27th, 2004, 01:51 PM
What is up with people? :eek: No manners. I'd be very apologetic if my dog attacked. You have every right to have a few choice words with her. Maybe next time she will think twice about letting her dog roam. Hope your dog has no fears.

.unknown.
October 27th, 2004, 07:31 PM
heh. I'll start out my story by explaining my dog. She's a rottie lab mix, sweet as pie. She loves other dogs, and thoroughly enjoys the offleash park...She's never been in a fight at that park. ever. The only dog she's gotten into a scrap with is my parents older, non dog friendly dog...

ANYWAY.
we went to an offleash area, my dog ran around and met up with this little nervous looking poodle thing. She started sniffing him and he started snarling and snapped at her a couple times (i don't know about any contact)....so there was a scrap... As soon as we call her she started to come running towards us, and the dog's owner wound up and BOOTED my dog in the stomach. She of course cried and came running to me as fast as she could.

I'm her "parent" and don't want her to do anything bad... so maybe my memories of the event are skewed a bit. I just know that i don't worry about my dog being agressive, ever. She's never given me reason to.

But is defending herself being aggressive? Like, do other dogs just take getting bitten?

I probably don't know enough about dog behavior to make that call.

All i know is if that guy kicked her the right way she could have had serious injuries.... over something that didn't cause any harm to anyone...it was just noisey.

**this is a dog who also, at 75lbs layed down and rested her chin on the floor so she could see a Yorkie puppy walking around with her owner at a pet store...the puppy was smaller than her head, he stood there, standing shorter than the top of her shoulders, while she layed there looking at him totally in love...

heeler's rock!
October 27th, 2004, 07:52 PM
the dog's owner wound up and BOOTED my dog in the stomach. She of course cried and came running to me as fast as she could.

OMG!!!!! What did you do??? If that was one of my dogs, I would've wound up and BOOTED HIM IN THE HEAD!!!! The nerve!!!!! :mad:

.unknown.
October 27th, 2004, 09:56 PM
He got ruffed up... There was an off duty policeman there so it ended rather quickly.

The one thing i remember so clearly is this one lady.
She yelled "it's not worth it" and I turned to her and said "he f***ing kicked my dog!" and she said " I know, but it's just not worth it"

It was a disgusting situation.

More because i knew saying anything or doing anything to that guy would be an exercise in futility. He was completley ignorant.

*sigh*
I was so upset...

:(

My dog is ok, thank god.

Karin
October 27th, 2004, 11:08 PM
I love my roommate so much I would never, ever put her where she could be attacked by even a flea. Dog parks ....I have my opinions about them. I'll save that one.
I moved because of my dog being attack by another dog. I will stop at nothing to protect her. Avoid stituations. If you live with someone who walks funny, like on four legs, you should also know them to their very soul. And protect them.

Dog parks will & never will be a place to visit for us....we do not need them and we have plenty of safe places to walk anyway. I do not need to parade Ciara....

I despise dog parks.

LavenderRott
October 28th, 2004, 12:20 AM
As a rottweiler owner, all I can say is that I will never take my dog to a dog park.

While she has never ever shown any dog aggression, I certainly would expect her to defend herself if the need arose. I also know that no matter what the circumstances, my dog would be the one blamed for any altercations based solely on her breed.

It is my job to make sure that she is never put in a situation where she feels the need to defend herself. (She is not responsible for defending my house either.)

Shaykeija
October 28th, 2004, 01:37 AM
I took Missie and Sophie out for a pee tonight and went face to face with a large dog. Missie weighs 8 pounds and Sophie about 11 pounds. Me well at least 200. :p Well my babies were on my property and on leashes that other mutt went after them. I gave the women royal hell. What a moron she was. Sophie or Missie could have been all chewed up. Some people just won't walk their dogs on leashes and use private property as their dump sites for doggie doo. You usually can get how people treat other people, by the way they treat their animals. Makes me :sick: .

Gazoo
October 28th, 2004, 10:35 AM
I love my roommate so much I would never, ever put her where she could be attacked by even a flea. Dog parks ....I have my opinions about them. I'll save that one.
I moved because of my dog being attack by another dog. I will stop at nothing to protect her. Avoid stituations. If you live with someone who walks funny, like on four legs, you should also know them to their very soul. And protect them.

Dog parks will & never will be a place to visit for us....we do not need them and we have plenty of safe places to walk anyway. I do not need to parade Ciara....

I despise dog parks.

Isn't that kinda throwing the baby out with the bathwater?
:confused:

Karin
October 28th, 2004, 02:51 PM
As a rottweiler owner, all I can say is that I will never take my dog to a dog park.

While she has never ever shown any dog aggression, I certainly would expect her to defend herself if the need arose. I also know that no matter what the circumstances, my dog would be the one blamed for any altercations based solely on her breed.

It is my job to make sure that she is never put in a situation where she feels the need to defend herself. (She is not responsible for defending my house either.)

Exactly! Although Ciara is a Super Uber Goober and has never read the "Big Bad Rotti" book, people fear & judge her even though she has never been aggresive, (well, twice she was..when I was in danger myself)

Another reason I despise dog parks: I know Ciara's health care record. I do not know every other dog's history on health that has been in a certain area. I do not want to expose her to anything a previous animal could have left ...her immune system is already compromised.
In short...I trust no one unless "I" know their health record.
Think about it.....

mastifflover
October 28th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Unknown, I have to say you showed restraint if someone kicked my dog he would be singing soprano with the Harlem boys choir. That is totally unacceptable and I would not care if there was a cop there or not actually I would have pressed charges of animal cruelty or abuse. I can relate I have a rather large dog and of course you know they are all vicious. When was the last time you heard of any of the giant breeds attacking? My point exactly. This happened at dog hill the other day Buddy was playing with this really sweet Rottie and they were running around and bashing each other and just general playing by themselves no other dogs with them or even near them. Then a scuffle on the other side breaks out, so they stop and are looking over and I call Bud and the guy calls Tinker over and they both come over and this idiot start freaking out about the big dogs starting it. We were both standing there with our mouths open. I find it amazing how a Rottweiller and a Mastiff on the other side of the park playing can still be at fault when a fight occurs on the other side of the park. They might be big but they are by no means fast enough to run over there start the fight an run back to playing without us even seeing them do it. We made a few comments about irresponsible owners called our dogs and left.

heeler's rock!
October 28th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Ahhh....dog parks again. Threads always seem to lead into a discussion about dog parks and how bad they all are. I don't take my dogs to off leash parks all the time, but I have never personally had a bad experience. Most dog parks in Calgary are pretty good and people tend to be pretty responsible, at least where I've gone.