Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cheesecake

raingirl
October 26th, 2004, 09:40 PM
It's 9:40 PM and I just put a cheesecake in the oven...am I crazy? This is my bedtime!!

(It is a co-workers bday Thursday, so I need to make it today, and decorate tomorrow)

Ack....

I love cheesecake though..

Lucky Rescue
October 26th, 2004, 09:44 PM
When you gotta have cheesecake, you gotta have it!

The world's most perfect food - I must have 15 recipes for it. :D

raingirl
October 26th, 2004, 09:51 PM
I have cooked a lot of cheesecakes in the past, but my favorite of all time is MANGO cheesecake..which I'm making tonight.

I make the cheesecake, then tomorrow, I put it on a cooling rack over a pan, and drizzle mango jello over it (not Jello brand..some asian mango jel pudding) to make a nice top and sides. THen when that is set, I am going to drizzle melted white chocolate over the top!!

I can't wait to eat it!!

I should have been a pastry chef...

glasslass
October 26th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Ahhhh! My specialty is Gingered Chocolate Cheesecake. Crushed gingersnaps make up the crust and bits of slivered candied ginger in the rich fudgy cheesecake. Drizzle with white chocolate and chocolate curls. I haven't eaten yet! Gotta eat!!!! :o

lilith_rizel
October 27th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Raingirl,
My hubby loves mangos, it is his favorite fruit. Do you think that I could get that recipe from you? He would go nuts if he found out that there is such a thing.

jackieb
October 27th, 2004, 09:19 AM
please can you post the receipi or pm me is it easy to make for a beginer

raingirl
October 27th, 2004, 09:41 AM
This is the recipe I use. It is super easy!!

Mango Cheesecake

Crust:
8 ounces graham crackers
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar (I use vanilla sugar instead)
1/2 cup butter, softened and cut into pieces

Filling:
4 small Indian Alphonso mangoes; to make approximately 2 cups puree (or canned puree)
1 1/2 pounds cream cheese
1 cup superfine sugar (regular sugar works fine to)
6 large eggs
juice of half a lime

Prepare crust: Place graham crackers in the bowl of a food processor. Process until they are almost fine crumbs. Add dark brown sugar and butter. Process until mixture clumps together like damp sand. Press mixture evenly into bottom of a 9 inch springform pan and refrigerate while preparing filling (I bake mine for five minutes instead, like all my other cheesecake recipes).

Prepare filling: Heat oven to 325F (I do 350F instead). Bring a kettle of water to boil. Peel and cut flesh from mangoes and puree in food processor until smooth. Add cream cheese and process until smooth. Add superfine sugar and with motor running, add eggs one at a time through the processor's feed tube. Add lime juice and process until blended. Place springform pan on a double layer of strong foil. Crimp edges up around pan to make a waterproof nest. Place foil-covered pan in a deep roasting pan. Scrape filling into pan and pour boiling water into roasting pan to come about halfway up sides of cake pan. Bake until filling is set and wobbles slightly in the center; it will continue to cook as it cools, about 1 hour and 45 minutes (about 1 hr 20 min at 350F). Remove springform pan from water bath. Discard foil and place pan on a cooling rack. When cool, refrigerate overnight. To serve, remove from pan and place on a serving platter before slicing. 8 to 10 servings.

I like to garnish it several ways. My BF likes to have cold mango puree poured all over it like a sauce, which is nice and refreshing (and seems to make it a little less rich so you can eat more!!).

The other way (which I am doing tonight) is I buy Mango Pudding mix from an asian store. It's actually like jello when you make it, because it's gelatin based, but you use milk in it as well. Anyway, I put my cheesecake on a cooling rack over a pan/plate. Then I spoon the unset gelatin over it and down the sides (the plate catches the overflow). Then I stick it in the fridge to set. Doesn't take long as it's a thin layer. THen I keep doing that for several layers until it looks nice and even. Then I melt white chocolate and drizle lines and swirles all over the top!!

I will have to post pics.

mastifflover
October 27th, 2004, 09:41 AM
What time are you serving the cake? The best desert and I will admit I have eaten an entire cheesecake with raspberries and chocolate on top in the course of 1 day. Oh stop moaning I bet you guys could too. Glasslass that sounds amazing I will have to try that one

Gazoo
October 27th, 2004, 10:13 AM
It's 9:40 PM and I just put a cheesecake in the oven...am I crazy? This is my bedtime!!

(It is a co-workers bday Thursday, so I need to make it today, and decorate tomorrow)

Ack....

I love cheesecake though..

Any chance of Fedexing a piece to Calgary :D

lilith_rizel
October 27th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks Raingirl. My husband is going to adore you for this one. LOL He loves ANYTHING that has mangos in it.

glasslass
October 27th, 2004, 12:43 PM
JackieB, I'm at work right now, but will post the recipe tonite after Ceramics class. I've got to try that Mango recipe too - sounds sooooooo delish!!!

jackieb
October 27th, 2004, 01:04 PM
thanks for that :party:

Cinnabear
October 27th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Hey! Isn't anybody passing the slices around. Boy what nerve. :D

Mysts38
October 27th, 2004, 02:41 PM
LOVE IT! but cant eat it anymore..cant handle too much sugar..neighbour who is diabetic makes a TO DIE FOR sugar free cheese cake...yup you heard that right..she uses splend and sf jelloetc and its SO SO GOOD...and then she tops it with sugar free preserves

I had a piece of cheescake fr my birthday,took a bite and spit it out..havent touched sugar in over 6 months and it was TOO sweet and rich for me

lilith_rizel
October 27th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I know that this isn't a cheesecake, but it looks so good on the recipe card I got, that I have to share it. I haven't tried it yet.

Black Forest Cake

Ingredients:
2 (20-ounce) cans of tart pitted cherries, undrained
1 cup grnaulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 (9-inch) chocolate cake layers, baked and cooled
3 cups cold whipping cream
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar

1. Drain cherries, reserving about 1/2 cup juice. Combine reserved cherry juice, cherries, granulated sugar, and cornstarch in saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until thickened. Add vanilla and stir.

2. Split each cake layer in half, horizontally. Crumble one half layer, and set aside.

3. Beat cold whipping cream and the confectioners' sugar in large bowl with an electric mixer, at high speed, until stiff peak forms. Reserve 1 1/2 cups whipped whipped cream mixture for decorative piping.

4. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread 1 cup whipped cream; top with 3/4 cups cherry topping. Top with second cake layer, 1 cup whipped crea, 3/4 cups cherry topping, top with 3rd cake layer.

5. Frost cakes sides with remaining whipped cream; pat gently with reserved cake crumbs.

6. Spoon reserved 1 1/2 cups whipped cream into pastry bag, fitted with star tip; pipe around top and bottom edges of cake. Spoon remaining cherry topping over top of cake

:D

Mysts38
October 27th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Black forest cake is also one of my favs..god how I love cherries...but I cant eat any of it :( Please stop teasing LOL

lilith_rizel
October 27th, 2004, 04:55 PM
There has to be away to make this without sugar. Is the cake really good? I have been wanting to make it for the longest time, but between my hubby and I, I don't think we would be able to eat it all, before it goes bad. But I guess I could always freeze portions of it.

raingirl
October 27th, 2004, 09:38 PM
I'm trying to post a pic, but the screen that opens to "manage attachments" keeps crashing!!

glasslass
October 28th, 2004, 01:59 PM
:sorry: JackieB! I'll try to remember tonight!

jackieb
October 28th, 2004, 02:18 PM
I wont be able to make it til ive been shopping the weekend for food lol!

glasslass
October 30th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Jackieb, I adapted this from a recipe in Hershey's Chocolate Lover's Cookbook. Original recipe called Fudge Truffle Cheesecake. I substituted gingersnaps for the vanilla wafers and I finely chopped candied Australian ginger (hear that Melanie? Australia has the very best ginger!!!) to put into the filling. I don't really measure, just keep adding til it's gingery enough to your taste. I top with chocolate curls and drizzle melted white chocolate over the top and finish with some slivered candied ginger. This is a really rich, fudgy cheesecake!

Fudge Truffle Cheesecake

For the crust:
1 1/2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup Hershey's Cocoa
1/3 cup melted butter or margarine

In medium bowl, stir together. Press firmly onto bottom of 9-inch springform pan.

For the filling:
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) Hershey's Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
3 packages (8-oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1 can (14-oz.) sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Heat oven to 300 degrees F. In microwave-safe bowl, Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 1/2 minutes; stir. If necessary, microwave at HIGH additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted and smooth when stirred.

In large mixer bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Add melted chocolate, eggs and vanilla; mix well. Pour into prepared crumb crust. Bake 1 hour and 5 minutes or until center is set. Remove from oven to wire rack. With knife, loosen cake from side of pan. Cool completely; remove side of pan. Refrigerate before serving. Cover; refrigerate leftover cheesecake. 10 to 12 servings

I'm including a picture from the cookbook. They've garnished it with chocolate truffles.

raingirl
October 30th, 2004, 01:57 PM
OK. Here are the pics of my finished cheesecake.

glasslass
October 30th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Yummmmm! :thumbs up This is a deadly thread! No pix of the inside?

lilith_rizel
October 31st, 2004, 02:52 PM
Yummy! I was going to make that cheesecake for Halloween, but the stuff for it, wasn't in the budget, after we bought Cano a new brush, and candy for the trick-or-treaters.
Speaking of which, I guess the base has a law, that the children can ONLY trick-or-treat between the hours of 6 and 9, no matter how old they are. I think that is really odd. Back home, the older kids would stay out until midnight, to trick-or-treat. But the time limit probably has to do with school and the soldiers' early work hours. But I still don't think the should say that no one can trick-or-treat ouside of that time frame. What about all the first timers? By 7, it may already be their bedtime. I think that they should start trick-or-treating (for little ones only) at maybe 5 instead, then they atleast have a bit more time to enjoy themselves.

Raingirl and Glasslass, those cheesecakes look delicious. I have been having pregnancy cavings so bad lately, and I just wish I could get my hands on some of that. But I guess, Halloween candy will have to do until next pay check! :D