October 26th, 2004, 08:21 PM
I printed a toxic plan guide before I went to the plant store. The plant I chose Anthurium andreanum, was not on the list. I came home and checked some other lists. I found variations on this name on safe lists and I found it as toxic on another. It was not lethal, but causes irritation. Does anyone know for sure? I think where I was planning on putting the plant is cat safe but one never knows for sure with these critters. And, the store is going out of business so I can't return my $25.00 plant!
October 26th, 2004, 09:10 PM
This plant is similar to Dieffenbachia. It's not toxic in the sense of being poisonous, but is a mechanical irritant. The sap contains microscopic oxide particles, something like teeny cactus needles, that severely irritate the mouth and throat and cause swelling. This is why the common name of Dieffenbachia is "Dumb Cane" because swallowing the sap can temporarily interfere with speech.
I did have two kittens who chewed my Dumb Cane. They ended up with little red lips like the wax ones you buy.:p They couldn't eat for a day or so.
October 26th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Thank you so much! So if little Junior does get to he might not be happy for a few days but not poisoned. I'm pretty sure I can secure it so that he can't get to it.
October 26th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Love your quote!