Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog humping stuffed animal - Strange Behaviour??

tuffster7
October 26th, 2004, 08:14 PM
My dog has this stuffed teddy bear that is the same size and colour as her since she was a puppy. She literally "humps" her bear. Why does she do this? She has not been spayed. Is it sexual? or is it an attachment thing? Does she think its alive? We permit it because its kind of funny and well shes had it since she was a puppy and its not hurting anyone, but boy she can really get worked up when she gets going. strange. Thank you :o

Lucky Rescue
October 26th, 2004, 09:19 PM
You really should get her spayed. That will probably reduce this behavior, plus help your dog stay healthier and avoid unwanted pregnancies.

Sneaky2006
October 26th, 2004, 09:21 PM
It probably is sexual, how old is she and are you planning on having her spayed?
I did have a friend with a dog who did that though... she was spayed and about 5 yrs old, loved to hump anyone, anything! It was funny seeing a girl humpin! :D

Dwight Byrd
October 26th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Have her spayed. It is the humane thing to do. ;)

sue fox
October 27th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Although I agree with spaying it is not necessarily a sexual thing. Your girl could be showing her dominance over this "teddy bear". I've seen many pups do this and it is funny. :D :D Scottie has done it a few times we just kind of ignore and if he starts on us(has 2xs) we ignore and walk away. He is getting neutered by the end of Nov. Our vet had asked us if he had displayed this behaviour "yet", she feels it's also a sign of dominance. Myself I wouldn't allow him to do it to people, sexual, dominance whatever not a desireable behaviour!!

Beautygirl
October 27th, 2004, 06:13 PM
I agree that it's a dominance thing. My SIL's dog (unspayed female) tries to do it to my dog (soon to be spayed female) when they come to visit. Her BF stops the dog right away. I think she's trying to show our dog that she's the dominant one. It doesn't work though...lol... Beauty pins her on her back and won't allow her on the couch.

GsdDiamond
October 28th, 2004, 09:32 AM
I also agree it's a dominance thing. My girl did that to her pillows when she was younger. A few "stop that" and "hey" curbed that. You show dominance over her, and she needs to show it over something. Teddy will do. :D

tuffster7
October 29th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Yes. I must say dominance makes more sense. She never humps anything else, and even when were on her walks and run into other dogs whom are obviously interested in her she shows absolutely no interest. This is why we were so perplexed by her behaviour with this bear because...1. she's a girl and I only thought the male dog humps and 2. she never shows any other signs of sexual behaviour.
But like I said we feel its harmless, shes such a cutie and if she wants to hump her little self away once in awhile then hey, why not?

thanks for the reply!