Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

She's gone...Now What???

MPickering
October 26th, 2004, 05:52 PM
My poor little Peaches passed away sunday afternoon. And I feel like one of my kids died. I don't know how to get passed this. I've spent the last two days crying. Any suggestions?

Dwight Byrd
October 26th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Hi,

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a beloved pet is never easy. I know that. We lost our "Kokee" Golden Retriever in October 2003. The word "devestated" cannot even come near to decribe how we felt. You are going to cry, and that is o.k. You need to. It is an outward expression of the love you have for Peaches and the sorrow that you are feeling. It's o.k. to grieve your loss. You will never forget her, you will just learn to move on with life, without Peaches. My thoughts are with you. I have a link if you are intrested, which provides some support for thos eho have lost a pet. You can also post a tribute on pets.ca for Peached. I put one there for Kokee, just recently, and it helped.

In April 2004, we brought "Buddy" into our home. It is not Kokee, but we are in love with this little fella who so desperately needed a home and a family to love him. We feel blessed.

Lucky Rescue
October 26th, 2004, 06:18 PM
OH dear! I"m so sorry! What happened to Peaches? She was just 1 1/2 years old.:(

MPickering
October 26th, 2004, 07:55 PM
My Peaches had a little problem, see she was house broken except she couldn't hold her bladder so if we went out she peed on the carpet. So for all last week, when we went out we tied her leash to the tree in the backyard in hopes of getting her to pee outside. Well sunday afternoon, she must have roll around the tree 100 times, (we left it long so she could run and play still) and she strangled herself. We came home (after an hour) and found her there. At first I thought she was sleeping, but I was wrong. And yes, I would be interested in that link you had please.

Dwight Byrd
October 26th, 2004, 08:04 PM
The link I promised you is:

http://www.petmemorials.ca/?pageid=1

It is so sad the way Peaches died! I am sure that it was very upsetting for you to find Peaches had dies in such a way.

MPickering
October 26th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Yeah, and the guilt is unbelievable. I just kept thinking, who cares if she peed in the house, at least she would still be here

glasslass
October 26th, 2004, 09:32 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Peaches! I'm sure you feel terrible but you didn't realize this would happen. All you can do is forgive and allow yourself to grieve. Sometimes it helps a little to do something symbolic in honor of a lost pet. Maybe plant a tree or ornamental shrub, something living that will make you think of Peaches whenever it blooms. I know I keep my hummingbird feeder filled and whenever a hummer comes to it, I think about how much my pop loved to watch them. Just the action of honoring her memory will help you deal with your grief. And know that we all understand how you feel and sympathize. :sad:

heeler's rock!
October 26th, 2004, 09:38 PM
I am so incredibly sorry for your loss! I can't even begin to imagine how upset you must be. We're all here for you to help you get through this. :(

MPickering
October 26th, 2004, 09:47 PM
I was thinking of planting something there, but my five year old daughter who is just devastated and I don't know if that would help or make it worse for her. They were like best friends, always playing together.

glasslass
October 26th, 2004, 10:07 PM
I think it's important for your daughter to take part in something symbolic to help with her grief. It really helps create a sort of closure and feeling that she did something. All cultures take part in certain rituals at times of grief and joy. I think we need it emotionally. It doesn't need to be elaborate, just sincere for her benefit.

MPickering
October 26th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Thanks I'll try that tomorrow

Mysts38
October 27th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Iam sorry for your loss....when my dog passed,my girls made him a "memory" box,We got a special box,and the girls decorated it,and inside we put his leash,collar,a fav toy,pics and any poems we had written.It helps the girls now,knowing that they can look at his things and feel closer to him

Dwight Byrd
October 27th, 2004, 06:20 AM
We did that too, when we lost our dog Kokee last year. We actually have a little chest, filled with things like his leash, collar, some of his toys, pictures, blanket and cards and letters sent to us from all of the friends who knew and loved Kokee. It is a msll chest in my bedroom near my bed. It really has helped.

MPickering
October 27th, 2004, 10:53 AM
I was planning to put the leash away and frame some of the pics that we have, but I like the memory box idea better, I'll do that for sure.

Everyone says that I should go get a new pup, says that would make us feel better. I don't know about that. Nothing will replace Peaches, and I think we need time before we get another dog. What do you think?

Writing4Fun
October 27th, 2004, 11:01 AM
If you feel you need time, then you need time. Everyone reacts to grief differently. If you're thinking that you'd be trying to replace Peaches, then you should probably wait. It took me two years before I felt ready to bring another dog into our lives. Don't rush into it. You'll know when it's time.

Luvmypit
October 27th, 2004, 12:09 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. Ask your vet there are numerous animal loss phone lines and contacts you can talk too. I lost my mutt about 2 years ago. I grew up with him and I can't watch a video of him today without crying he was so beautiful. I can still cry thinking of him. They are truly apart of your family and no one in the world can deny that. Think of all the joy he has given you. I think its important for your daughters sake for her to go through the mourning process. Getting her a new dog right away may confuse the whole life and death thing assuming she is young.

Im truly sorry. My thoughts are with you. :sorry:

Cinnabear
October 27th, 2004, 12:42 PM
I'm so sorry that this happened to you. Only you're the one to know when to get another pup. Don't let people tell you what you should do. Its sounds like it is to soon for you.

mastifflover
October 27th, 2004, 12:53 PM
I am very sorry for your loss it is truly devastating. You will know when the time is right or in my case my new rescue picked me and I knew it was the right thing. Don't let anybody force it on you.The kids and you need to grieve first