Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help me please

tyr
October 26th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Hello,

As some of you know I recently adopted a kitten from a rescue. He is an absolute doll and love him to pieces. There is one little thing I would like him to slow down on though and I am looking for advice.

Recently, he has started to climb the curtains on my Canopy bed and last night he started to do this in our living room as well. I have just been pulling him off and placing him on the ground. This seems to make him want to do it all the more. He has free range with his claws on my couches - I do not understand his fascination with the curtains/drapes.

Some people have suggested "tapping his bottom and loudly saying NO" - This thought makes me want to vomit and I would rather let the curtains get torn than do that. Others have suggested using " a water gun or spray bottle and shooting it at him whenever he engages in this activity. Do it when he is not looking so he does not realize it is you and thinks this just happens whenever he does this one thing". Is that a good idea? Wont this make him all the more terrified of water and make it even more difficult when a bath time comes around?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much guys! I am at my ropes end at what to do - I do not want to spend all that cash again on new curtains/drapes. Although, it may be the price to pay for having such a cutie ;)

LavenderRott
October 26th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Glasses of water taught my cats to stay in the house, I would think it would work for your curtain climber.

Why would you give your cat a bath? I can't think of a single cat I have given a bath to in 20 years.

Lucky Rescue
October 26th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Some people have suggested "tapping his bottom and loudly saying NO

Never ever punish a kitten in any physical way. Kittens do NOT understand this and it will only make him hate/fear you.

Kittens climb curtains, break things, attack our toes at night and do all kinds of things we don't like. This is a normal part of kittenhood (and the reason I don't want any more kittens.) :rolleyes:

Cats are predators, and kittens are learning just what they can do and what their capabilities are. They are practicing for the hunt which will never come. I don't know how old your kitten is - maybe 12 weeks? They are horrible from that age until about 6 or 7 months, and we just have to put up with it.

Kittens have great bursts of energy and must dispell it somehow. Get interactive toys - feathers on rods, etc - and play with him. Another kitten would be the best answer, if you are up for it. They will wear each other out with way less damage to your belongings.

If you don't want your curtains ruined, you may have to roll them up or take them down until the kitten is older. When they get older and heavier they no longer try and climb curtains. The combination of kittens & perfect house is not doable.

Being annoying is a kitten's JOB. Their cuteness is the only weapon they have to keep us from killing them! We have to stay sane until they outgrow this stage. :D

As for baths, unless the cat falls into a vat of oil or ink, there is no reason to give one - ever.

dmc123
October 26th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Try some double sided tape, really sticky, place it in several places, different heights on the curtains, most don't like that feel.

Good luck.
~~dmc

Sneaky2006
October 26th, 2004, 08:04 PM
I was told this too, about the tape, but wouldn't it stick too much to the curtains and rip them or make them fuzzy or stringy when the tape's being pulled off? :confused: Seems like it would be the same as letting them scratch it?? :rolleyes:

krdahmer
October 27th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Shoot from the HIP!!! (With a spray bottle full of water that is!) And try to be as consistent as possible, every time you catch him doing the bad behaviour give him a few squirts. This has worked for all of my cats including one that I took in from outdoors who used to make a run for it every time we opened the door. After a few good soakings all I had to do was show him the bottle and he sat still....and now he hardly bothers with the door except to greet me when I come home!

tyr
October 27th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks guys! I will try the water gun. I was just not sure of how great of an idea that was. That is why I asked....in the perfect place TO ask :D

I do not give my older cats baths, but I do bathe them when they are kittens with a gentle organic kitten shampoo. The reason being, it seems that kittens (at times) will come out of the litter with poo on them and this is the only way to get it off. I do not actually put him in a tub or pail or anything like that. I take a wet wash cloth with water and just wash the necessary areas. I have tried actual baths before and those do not go well at all! :) Fidel hated it and I decided that there must be a better way and there was.

Orlando is 3 months old and full of fiery energy :D He is an absolute doll and a great laugh. I do not mind his rampages and his predator practice at all. It is just this one thing I would like him to hold off on.

As for the punishment - I could NEVER do that. This is why I said earlier that I would rather have my curtains torn to shreds. The thought makes me feel ill :sick:

I do have 2 other cats one 12 and one 2. The 12 yr old engages in play time every now and then, but mostly he could not be bothered. Fidel on the other hand is a completely different story. He is a nutbar! I am always saying how greatful I am that no one lives below us. Him and Orlando go on mad chases all the time. The baby just gets into more mischief. There is no tiring this little guy out!Lol :D

As for what you said LR about the cuteness being the only weapon they have to keep us from killing them....it is so true! It is the greatest weapon of all in my opinion. Whenever he does something that is totally irritating I just look at that cute little face and melt!

Thanks again guys!

dmc123
October 27th, 2004, 06:09 PM
I was told this too, about the tape, but wouldn't it stick too much to the curtains and rip them or make them fuzzy or stringy when the tape's being pulled off? :confused: Seems like it would be the same as letting them scratch it?? :rolleyes:

Sneaky, I have used the tape trick on a variety of fabrics, it peels off pretty easily. I guess it wouldn't be a good idea on really delicate stuff.

~~dmc

Karin
October 27th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Add plain white vinegar to the water bottle you spray the little terrorist with, I mean kitten. It will not hurt the fabric or the kitten.

Tin foil is also a good tool...cats & dogs fear it more so than tape.

Sneaky2006
October 27th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Thanks dmc...

Hmmm... foil curtains... Does that block sun? :rolleyes: :p

tyr
October 28th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Tin foil curtains - that is so hilarious! :D

Karin, unfortunately both the kitten and my two year old Fidel LOVE tin foil! Is that odd?