Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flea Control

m_apol
October 26th, 2004, 03:14 PM
I'm just new to owning a pet, I got her from a rescue and she has fleas. The vet gave her medicine plus topical meds last Saturday. I saw a couple of fleas yesterday! I'm taking her to a groomer this Saturday for a flea bath and hopefully will be able to clean the place while she's gone. Any tips on how to get rid of fleas at home?

krdahmer
October 26th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Wash any towels and bedding....and the vets and possibly groomers have a spray that you can use on carpets and sofas etc. I used one called VetChem, and since treating the cats,kittens and house have not seen a flea since! Also you may want to get a flea comb and comb through to get rid of the 'dead bodies', I combed them out for a few days after the Revolution treatment and made sure they were dead by rinsing the comb in soapy water every time I caught one.
Oh and don't worry the heeby jeebies do go away....LOL (if you are as disgusted by bugs as I am!)

melanie
October 26th, 2004, 06:25 PM
fleas breed in dusty areas so make sure you vacume those corners wel land under beds, i find this really helps with breaking the breeding pattern.

m_apol
October 27th, 2004, 12:57 PM
I am soooo grossed out by them, I actually sa a larva! ahhhhhh! VetChem? Where do I get that? I heard Raid Flea Killer is good, and you can spray it directly to dogs. She had some medications for fleas, I'm taking her to the groomer to get a flea bath and while she's there, I am cleaning the whole apt inside out. How do you maintain Flea-Free? Is it even possible?

Karin
October 27th, 2004, 08:30 PM
I am soooo grossed out by them, I actually sa a larva! ahhhhhh! VetChem? Where do I get that? I heard Raid Flea Killer is good, and you can spray it directly to dogs. She had some medications for fleas, I'm taking her to the groomer to get a flea bath and while she's there, I am cleaning the whole apt inside out. How do you maintain Flea-Free? Is it even possible?

Please, Please never use Raid on your pet! Remember, animals will lick & ingest anything sprayed on them!

That being said I live in a petri dish, flea paradise called Florida...the flea capitol. I am allergic myself to fleas and refuse to have them around.

While there are many good products on the market today, (no excuse for flea infestations anymore) I find Frontline to work better than any. We have plenty of ticks also. I get a good two months from each dose of Frontline. It works better on a dirty dog, mixing with their natural oils...I then bath 3 + days later.

For a emergency flea control..(like they need it now) Advantage works within 4 hours and can be applied 2 hours after bathing. Or try Capstar.
Fleas are getting immune to Advantage.

m_apol
October 28th, 2004, 10:48 AM
That's what I had in thought, she licks herself so spraying Raid is out of the question. I will spray Raid around the house when she's not there though cuz I see them sometimes. She had Advantage, just taking extra precautions.