Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

to groom or not to groom

koda's Mom
October 26th, 2004, 12:15 PM
I was wondering what everyone's opinions were on grooming for the winter months. My Koda - Bichon Frise looks like he is ready to be groomed again. He was first groomed in August after we had him for a month, and because his coat was not cared for properly he pretty much had to have it shaved instead of clipped. It was also the summer so he felt better I think with a lighter coat. Now that the winter is coming I was unsure if I needed to wait for the spring so that he is warm outside in the winter? Because he does not shed at all I was unsure if how to handle this - thanks :crazy:

elmoy
October 26th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Hi KM

I have a toy poodle. I get her groomed every 3-4 months. In the winter time, I put a wool sweater on her. She enjoys the sweater and it makes it easier for the groomer when she is kept up. Less mats.

Ela :)

Cinnabear
October 26th, 2004, 12:22 PM
I would groom. You don't want mats. Or will you brush weekly? How long will he be outside? Like Elmoy says you can always put a coat on him for going outside.

goldenblaze
October 26th, 2004, 01:08 PM
My Shih Tzu Jordie is 4 yrs old and he is groomered every 10 weeks winter or not. Put a coat on if needed but don't let them get too long, not nice for the dog and brushing helps but new hair matts easy.

glasslass
October 26th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Groom! I keep Den-Den a little longer than in summer. But clean, fluffy hair will hold the warmth better. A sweater when going out will help prevent an extreme change in temperature. Think down comforter! A clean, fluffy one is far more comfortable than one that has clumped!