Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Raw Bones for Dogs Instead of Rawhide?

jjgeonerd
October 26th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Some posts yesterday said that raw bones were better for dogs than rawhide. What kind of bones...I know beef, but is there a specific bone that is good to ask the butcher for? Also, do you boil them first or just give it to the dog raw? Are these good for heavy chewers?

Thanks a lot...thease are probably dumb questions, but I'm not familiar with giving dogs raw bones.

goldenblaze
October 26th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Never a dumb question ;)
I give my boys soup bones with the marrow I do cook them first as for me raw meat is not what I choose. my golden loves to chew the bones heavy chewer I would say and will lay there for hours enjoying them. :)

sammiec
October 26th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Very good question!! There have been quite a few discussions about this, if you search for "raw bones".. there are a few threads asking about Rawhide where Raw Bones are discussed. There are very knowledgable people that have shared information on some of those threads... :D

I personally prefer giving marrow bones, you can boil them in stalk (beef stalk of chicken stalk)... some people just give them raw... depending on the bone they can crack when cooked....it's confusing...

LL1
October 26th, 2004, 11:11 AM
I would definitely use raw bones, cooked bones splinter and are dangerous to your dog.

marko
October 26th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Here's 2 good articles that may help

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dogbones.htm
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dogtreats.htm

Also doing a search in the bulletin board yielded this previous thread with good information.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6277

Writing4Fun
October 26th, 2004, 11:25 AM
OK, now I'm confused. :confused: One article says to never feed your dog cooked bones. The other one says to boil the bones first. Is boiling not the same as cooking??

jjgeonerd
October 26th, 2004, 11:34 AM
I am also confused about the boiling. I thought feeding dogs raw meat could give them worms. Raw bones doesn't do this?

trescanis
October 26th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Hi, I'm copying and pasting an email I recieved from a GSD list....scared the begeeeeezuz outta' me, no more raw knuckle bones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I often give my dogs raw marrow bones that I get from the butcher - I buy the whole leg bone and have it cut up into 4-5" pieces.

When my husband got home this afternoon he gave all the dogs a bone..
When I went out this evening to feed Khameo came running to me with her bone in her mouth.. all excited.. I made a fuss over her and her bone and she carted it all over.. all of a sudden she laid down and was prying at her mouth .. and the bone. When I checked her out.. she had managed to wedge her lower jaw, past the canines in the bone (she had been given the knuckle end of the bone) and a bridge of the bone was jammed in her mouth behind the canine teeth..

There was no way to move that bone.. I ran for Hank, who came with his bolt cutters.. have you ever tried to whole a scared dog still enough to cut something in their mouth??? We were so afraid we would cut her tongue or jaw or teeth in the process.. that damned bone would not cut!!!!
He had also brought another small pair of wire cutters and was able to chip out pieces until we could get the bone off her jaw..

We were both freaked out.. she just dove into her food dish!!! There was no way she would let us look in her mouth. The vet says if she is eating and drinking, she will be ok tonight and we take her in tomorrow to make sure she has no missing parts..her gums were cut up some form the bone so he will likely put her on an antibiotic just in case...."

Trescanis http://www.websmileys.com/sm/aliens/hae18.gif

Mysts38
October 26th, 2004, 11:59 AM
I never cooked my marrow bones.I just would freeze em and give to Cujo,,dogdiscles I called em...they didnt go wormy.you can parboil for 5 mins if you like,if you are concerned about giving em raw

goldenblaze
October 26th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Raw or not...... I asked my Vet and was told cooked. Cooked does not mean splinter, I have alwayd gave cooked bones and no problem. Have you looked at the raw marrow.... gross.

marko
October 26th, 2004, 12:04 PM
I'll try to get in touch with the author. From what I've heard raw is the way to go (but this is not something I know as fact)

Maybe what the other author was thinking is that the boiling might kill the bacteria and if it is a weight bearing bone it might still be super strong.

Please if anyone KNOWS the answer...post it.

Thanks

LL1
October 26th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Old school or conventional vets say they should be cooked.

Holistic vets definitely say only raw.

There are a number of books and websites that explain why not to use cooked bones. Suggested books are:

Veterinarian Ian Billinghurt wrote: Grow Your Pup With Bones; Give Your Dog a Bone and The Barf Diet

Kymythy R. Schultze has a good one - The Ultimate Diet

Pat McKay - Reigning Cats and Dogs

vet Dr. Pitcairn’s Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cat

The Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog by Wendy Volhard and vet Kerry Brown

Raw Meaty Bones by vet Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Switching to Raw - Sue Johnson

goldenblaze
October 26th, 2004, 12:40 PM
I believe as in many issue's with our pets it is our own opinion that counts. My Vet told me cooked, your's might say raw so I believe you should do what you feel comfortable with. My choice is cooked never had a problem with any dog of mine over 35 plus yrs :eek: so I will stay with the cooked.
just keep giving the treat most dogs love and enjoy. :)

jjgeonerd
October 26th, 2004, 12:59 PM
I agree that it seems like opinion. The dog I had growing up used to get boiled soup bones and he never had a problem...other than trying to carry those huge things! :) I'm nervous about feeding raw meat...meat generally available to people is processed and therefore more likely to have disease (salmonella, e. coli, etc.) than wild meat caught and eaten by wolves. Either way, it seems better than rawhide! :D

Thanks for everyone's input!!

mastifflover
October 26th, 2004, 01:27 PM
The problem with cooking bones is they splinter and crack much easier, especially smaller bones. I feed raw bones only and I do wash them I also have issues with the semonila thing but I throw them out after 3 days if they are still around

melanie
October 26th, 2004, 05:33 PM
i would never give cooked bones, too dangerous, and my big dog scoffs things so she would definatly kill herself. when she could have bones (accident long time ago prevents this now) she had a big thigh type bone each week, it is the type that dino on the flintstones had, the long one with two nobs on each end, she loved them and would lick out all the marrow then eat the bone. i have heard of little dogs geting cooked bones, but i have never seen it in big dogs and have always thought it one of the most dangerous things to do, that is why she cannot have chicken and such, the little cooked bones. and raw bones are just so good for teeth, breth, entertainment the lot, if she could have bones now she would still have one a week she loved them.

LavenderRott
October 26th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Animals digest things much differently then people do. I sure hope that the meat I buy at the meat market for my dogs has fewer germs then the road kill I see on the way to work or some deer carcass that sat in the sun all day before the rest of the pack finished it off! (That is what wild dogs eat, you know.)

My girls get raw bones. They don't splinter as easily and they both LOVE the marrow in the middle.

jjgeonerd
October 26th, 2004, 06:57 PM
You might be surprised what types of bacteria meat at the market contains! :eek: I guess maybe more research is in order. Seems to be strong opinions both ways...just want a healthy, happy dog! :)

heeler's rock!
October 26th, 2004, 10:07 PM
My border collie, Kia, is on a raw food diet. Her tummy is very sensitive to kibble. She can't digest it, even the high quality stuff, and poops like 7 times a day. She also stops eating and gets lethargic. Raw is the only way to go for her. I haven't heard of a dog yet getting any raw meat related diseases from the brand I feed her. Also, some raw food manufacturers only use organically grown veggies and free range meats. The one I use doesn't, but they do inspect the farms the meats come from. She loves it and she looks forward to dinner and breakfast times! As for bones, we don't give them bones. Not because we don't want to, but we don't have a yard yet for them to go make a mess of. I couldn't stand raw meat on my carpet! We do give pig ears and haven't had a problem with them. :D