Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Reaction to Flu Shot

Mysts38
October 26th, 2004, 09:18 AM
HOLY CARP...I had my flu shot last night and felt goofy this morning,but dismissed it..then was sittng at my pc when a huge wave of sweats hit me,my heart started to beat really fast and I got really dizzy...my arm is SO SORE this morning...... :(

Iggette
October 26th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Awwwwwwww poor you, your not sick tho are you.....sounds like a mild reaction that hopefully wont get any worse......better than the flu tho :)

raingirl
October 26th, 2004, 09:41 AM
That's how it feels when I get it...my doc calls it the "mini flu" because it's not exactly the flu, but your body reacting to it.

I'm getting mine next week...can't wait!!

Mysts38
October 26th, 2004, 10:12 AM
I had a wicked reaction to last years shot..but it was a different flu vaccine than the one I got this year...last year I did get mini flu as well,and ya its still better than getting full blown flu

sujean
November 8th, 2004, 11:13 PM
you are all getting flu shots up there????

even doctors in the states won't give flu shots b/c of the shortage!!! you lucky dogs (or cats, or whatever...) and we are talking about a country that you can typically get flu shots at the grocery store!!

:thumbs up amazing!

jackieb
November 9th, 2004, 07:44 AM
we never got them in england unless you had diabetes or heart problems etc here they give you them like sweets lol!! I had it done because i have hypothyrodisum and i was ok my arm ached for a bit but i felt fine. I havent got the kids done yet and am a bit unsure!

chico2
November 9th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Every Canadian can have their shots for free...My husband and I have never had any bad reactions,but one year one of my sons got deathly ill from the shot for 3 weeks,worse than any flu,ended up in the hospital :mad:
The doctors said it is a very rare happening,but every year we hesitate getting the shot.I am one of those weird people :crazy: who reacts to just about any meds,I was knocked out for 48 hours after taking ONE Tylenol3 with codein.
So,I am very cautious about any meds,even a flu-shot....

sujean
November 9th, 2004, 09:01 AM
the thing that bothers me about all of this is that the flu has been around for as long as i have been alive. while i understand the strains are morphing, getting stronger, or whatever the reasoning is, why is it that it has become a "necessity" for EVERYONE to get the flu shot every year.

I think that the media needs to be clear that the flu shot is not needed by every single person that walks the streets. i believe that the medical profession stress that it is needed by people with weaker immune systems, like the elderly and children.

it is really sad that the average person's immune system is being weakened against even the common cold b/c we have all become obsessed with being anti-bacterial with EVERYTHING. i mean come on, when did i have to be told that soap was antibacterial??? what's next? anti bacterial food??

chico2
November 9th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Suejean,a very valid point :thumbs up Many kids today grow up in a an antiseptic society,hence allergies to just about anything..
We need a certain amount of bacteria and"dirt"to keep our immune-system going.
I never buy into all the anti-bacterial products out there,anymore than I would think any cream can remove ALL my wrinkles :crazy:

GunnerX
November 9th, 2004, 10:11 AM
I think they're goal is to have as much people as possible take the Flu shot to lessen the amount of people getting the flu and spreading it around. Since the Flu is quite contageous its very easy to spread it in public. Lets face it, we're not cave people anymore (politically correct :thumbs up ). Just like how we spoil our pets instead of them scavenging for food, we are not as accustomed to germs/viruses as previous. However, without being pro-active with giving shots, several worse diseases would still be claiming millions of lives around the world.

Oh yeah, I got my flu shot last week at the Pharma Plus store near where I work. :D I never have had any reaction to it. I think people who have bad reaction to the shot should be checked to see if they're allergic to eggs since this is one of the main ingredients. Every year I get the shot but last year I didn't get one because they stopped coming to my workplace to give shots. I got the flu 3 times and was bedridden for 3 or more days each time. It definitely was not fun!!

squarejane
November 9th, 2004, 01:54 PM
i'm getting mine this week... asthma. are you feeling any better? a good friend of mine reacted the same way to the shot this year.

Sunkist/Winnie
November 9th, 2004, 02:11 PM
I got mine on Friday and have felt tired this week - which is my normal reaction.

wAggie
November 22nd, 2004, 11:52 PM
Here's the doctor's general rule: unless you're under the age of 5 or over 65, you do NOT need the flu shot.

*shrugs*

oh ,and then there's one of my managers who work 7am-6pm 7 days per wk (roughly).

so, no needles coming my way this winter... nor next... ! :p