Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Beagle Puppy

kimbilly
October 25th, 2004, 10:10 PM
We are soon to be a K9 parents of a little Beagle Puppy. My husband and I have had dogs our whole lives, but never a beagle. We have done lots of research and reading and feel that a Beagle will fit into our lives really well. I was wondering if anyone had some advice for the first time parents.... we want our new family member to be happy. Any tricks for this special breed?

Writing4Fun
October 25th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Congrats on your latest addition! We had a Beagle when I was very young. I don't remember much about his training, except that he would always escape from our yard, come home at 3AM and "bark" at the back gate to be let in again ("bark" being more like the sound a seal makes). The neighbors loved him. :rolleyes: So the best piece of advice I can give you now is to get him into training as soon as you can. Because when you're out on a walk, you'll have to compete with his nose, which is pretty tough competition when you're dealing with a Beagle! Good luck! :D

goldenblaze
October 25th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Hi,
I'm sure you will enjoy your new little family memeber :)
Beagle's are sweet little pets, we babyset one often and this weekend Jake 2yrs old beagle is staying for the weekend. I find he is ready to run and play lots, he is very well trained as he lives in a townhome in the city. Jake is a sweet dog and I am sure your little one will be no problem, just give lots of love and rum to run and play. :)

Bueller's Mommy
October 26th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Congrats on the beagle baby! My beagle baby is now 3 and he's been a handful from day one.

Generally beagles are extremely active and needy dogs. They need a LOT of exercise. They are prone to obesity and need to have their weight monitored regularly. Beagles are also very affectionate and playful dogs and they love attention. I've found with my beagle that he needs too much attention and tends to 'freak out' when we leave him alone. My only real advice is to train him early. Beagles follow their noses while oblivious to everything else around them. This is a hard habit to break a beagle of. Please also get him microchipped for the same reason.

I can tell you my personal experience with Bueller, but your beagle may not have the same traits: Bueller is a power chewer, he's destroyed carpets, linoleum flooring, wooden trim, stair railings, numerous pillows, socks and the list could go on. He's got lots of toys, but they are limited since he can only have toys for avid chewers. He's also a barker - he barks like crazy when we put him in his pen for the day. We've had many health problems with him and spent a ton of cash on vets as well, but he's our baby and we love him to death. I'd still pick a beagle if I had to do it all over again. They're fantastic dogs. Check out this forum for beagle owners: Beagle World (http://www.abeagleworld.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=1)

Good luck and enjoy your new baby! :)

Delirium
October 27th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Another perspective, just for the fun of it.

My two beagles don't chew at all heh!

Of course they're both pound dogs whom I only got when they were about 5 years old. Can't offer much info about puppies since i'm not fond of them.

Where are you getting your little guy?

Dee

kimbilly
October 27th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies, wow an interesting combination. We are busy reading An Idiots Guide to owning a Beagle, so far so good. It tells us alot on the personality traits of Beagles.

We are getting our puppy from a breeder. We found them thru the Canadian Kennel Club. He shall be named Bentley.

I am all calm now, but this time next week I may be screeming for help, we get him on Sunday :)

Hound_Dog
November 17th, 2004, 04:08 AM
My friends' has a beagle pup. If you have any specific questions, I can ask them... :)

CarlaD
November 17th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Congrats! I have two beagles, Willy is 3 and Charlie is 6 months old.

Willy was very easy to train, he chewed his toys but nothing else. He would destroy a rubber gong in 2 minutes flat, so I am very lucky that he did not decide to go after the furniture.

We have crate trained both of them, Willy is no longer in his crate but the pup still is and will be until about 2 years of age. (Well this is when we trusted Willy to be on his own)

They are both full of energy, they love people, children and other animals. Willy is fantastic with children he lets them do anything and just sits there. Right now Charlie is a little too hyper around them because he wants to jump and play.

I will agree that they need a ton of exercise. A couple of times over the last month during our move they didn't get a super long walk like they are used to and they were up at night playing!

You also have to monitor their food intake, because they do have a tendency to become obese.

I love my beagles to death and they are our children.
I wish you all the best, remember they will test your patience, you just have to stand firm.

CyberKitten
November 17th, 2004, 02:46 PM
My family had a beagle and he was high energy, high octane and probably not for the slight of heart, lol But a more lovable dog you could never want!! They tend to wander - it is that sniffer instinct in them - so training early is v. important! Ours rarely barked and the rare occasion he howled was too cute!!