Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help Help Help

happywon
October 25th, 2004, 12:54 PM
I have a shi tzu male 14 months old i am trying to breed with a 4 yr old female. For some reason he won't mount her even though she is ready. He gets very upset when she tries to get near him and growls at her.

Has anyone got any suggestions??

She has about 3 days left.

Thank you
Happywon

heeler's rock!
October 25th, 2004, 01:20 PM
This isn't going to go down well.....

Just some questions, why are you breeding your dog?

Second, he's still a puppy! 14 months is WAY too young to breed! If you want to breed so badly, you should wait until he is mentally mature, which is around 3 years. You shouldn't be breeding anyways. IMHO.

Sneaky2006
October 25th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Maybe the dog knows he shouldn't be bred!? :)

sammiec
October 25th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Maybe the dog knows he shouldn't be bred!? :)
I SECOND THAT.

Does your dog have papers? Is it registered with the CKC and/or AKC? Has it been tested for gentic defects? Has the bitch been tested for genetic defects? If you have answered no to any of these questions, please DO NOT breed these animals. For sound genetic disposition these dogs should be tested.

Cflat
October 25th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Maybe he's not into older women.

Have you seriously considered this breeding business? The costs associated with it are phenomenal not to mention the already 1000's of homeless dogs.

Sneaky2006
October 25th, 2004, 01:57 PM
If this person was a reputable breeder they can answer yes to these questions! Does your dog have papers? Is it registered with the CKC and/or AKC? Has it been tested for gentic defects? Has the bitch been tested for genetic defects? And if they were a reputable breeder they wouldn't breed a 14month old or need to come here asking why their dog wouldn't mount her!!!

happywon
October 25th, 2004, 02:51 PM
I am not a breeder . I own a male and my friend owns a female. We decided to breed them and give each of our kids a puppy.

I think you have been very unfair sneaky 2006.

Maybe if you had been a lot more understanding and explained things i would not consider it. With your nasty comments i am now determined to breed them.

Thanks
Not so happy won

Sneaky2006
October 25th, 2004, 02:55 PM
I am unfair? Think of the pups that could possibly have defects or other puppies and dogs that are homeless and then we'll talk about unfair.

mastifflover
October 25th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Breeding to spite sneaky is not going to accomplish anything. You should do some research into the costs involved with breeding you might find it cheaper to go buy a pup or rescue one of the thousands of dogs in rescue and shelters. You will be shocked at the vet costs for worming and shots and god forbid anything goes wrong with the delivery. Then advertising and feeding and keeping them till they are at least 8 weeks old. I am sure there are a lot of hidden cost as well that I am not aware.

happywon
October 25th, 2004, 03:00 PM
I just asked a question instead of telling me he is to young or why i shouldn't breed you jumped all over me. If this is how you treat people that don't know about these things i would hate to think of how you treat your animals. A little patience would have helped. We are not all as smart as you are.

tyr
October 25th, 2004, 03:02 PM
I am not meaning to be rude or inconsiderate Happywon, but I find it very disturbing that you are now going to breed your PUPPY and your friends ADULT out of spite of a person without a face. This is not someone that you even know - so why breed them out of spite of this unknown individual? The reason people have got so upset over this is because it is wrong. You cannot get pissed off at those who are knowledgable on the subject of breeding for caring so much about health and well-being of yours, your friends and the future animals in this situation. If you were not ready for a little criticism you should not come on to a post. One of my mottos is " Do not ask questions you do not want to know the answer to". You were obviously not ready for all angles that come with this posted question. You also should not be angry with people for their unwillingness to cooperate and play nice if you are not willing to do the same. Just my humble opinion.

Sneaky2006
October 25th, 2004, 03:05 PM
My point was that if you were breeding dogs, you should know the answer to your question.
So when someone comes here asking a question like that it's very hard not to get upset. The dogs can't speak for themselves... someone has to.

happywon
October 25th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Thank you Mastiff i will take all you said into consideration and go from there. I am not the one that will have the expense of all of it. And i did not know a male of 14 months was to young. As i said this is my male and my first Shi Tzu

happywon
October 25th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Tyr i did not realize this was a forum that would attack people I was shocked when i saw the replies. All i did was ask a question. Since this was a pets forum i thought i would get an answer. I would never breed to spite anyone. I was angry that people do not seem to have the patience to explain or ask questions before the sling the mud. It is a very sad world we live in if this is the kind of response you get for not being knowledgeable. I see now that i should have known all about it before i came in here. Then again if i had i would not have had to ask my question. So i lose all way around

happywon
October 25th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Sneaky i apologize for being nasty. That is not usually my way. I love my dog as he is my baby and take very good care of him. If i had thought in anyway this would not be good for him i would not do it. I have read all kinds of articles on breeding but none told me why he would not mount her so i came here. They all said he could be bred. So now i know .

Thanks for all your help everyone and i am now going to hug my dog.

Happy won

sammiec
October 25th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Does your dog have papers? Is it registered with the CKC and/or AKC? Has it been tested for gentic defects? Has the bitch been tested for genetic defects? If you have answered no to any of these questions, please DO NOT breed these animals. For sound genetic disposition these dogs should be tested.

I was not trying to be rude with these questions. These are very important questions when it comes to breeding, especially with a very popular breed as yours is.
Please, if you answer no to any of these questions, do not breed those dogs. There are many complications that can arisem, causing pain and suffering to the animals AND very high costs to you and/or the person that is paying for this breeding... in teh end it will be the animals that are paying through the chance of being homeless, sick, and/or in pain. Please consider your options. Enjoy your pet, keep him health and happy, leave breeding to the professionals! :)

MrsNorris151
October 25th, 2004, 03:16 PM
I am a little bit confused. Are you all implying that we should never let our dogs have babies? That we should fix them and that is it? Only because of the amount of homeless animals and the costs related to having pups? Happywon just asked a very basic question that evolved into a heated debate. I think it was a bit overdone.

happywon
October 25th, 2004, 03:20 PM
sammiec Yes your questions were honest and no my dog is not registered. He was born in a home by a breeder that could not show him because his colouring wasn't right. I have the papers stating the dog has no defects. I am not sure if that is all i needed but i love the dog and defects or not he is mine forever. Thank you for asking some questions i now know to ask if i ever get another one.

Donna Marie
I am a little bit confused. Are you all implying that we should never let our dogs have babies? That we should fix them and that is it? Only because of the amount of homeless animals and the costs related to having pups? Happywon just asked a very basic question that evolved into a heated debate. I think it was a bit overdone.

I have to agree with the rest of these folks. Even disregarding the fact that there are indeed countless animals in shelters, I cannot see any ligitimate reason to breed your dog just to give as a gift.

sammiec

These are VERY important reasons to never let your dogs have babies. The amount of homeless animals costs everyone! It's through donations and high adoption fees that the shelters and rescues are ableto find homes for the cast aways of back yard breeding. There are lots of genetic complications that can occur due to breeding dogs that are not tested. These complications can cause these dogs to live in pain or but put down - why would you want that?? Leave breeding to the professionals where they know what testes need to be completed, they know how to deal with difficult births - which could kill the babies and/or your precious pet.

sammiec
October 25th, 2004, 03:21 PM
I am not sure if that is all i needed but i love the dog and defects or not he is mine forever.
Then please protect him. Do not exploit him for babies!

happywon
October 25th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Thank you so much . It is nice to know not every one thinks i am a complete idiot. I have such a beautiful dog i would love to have my children have one.

Have a great day.

Happywon and Poncho :thumbs up

sammiec
October 25th, 2004, 03:24 PM
I have such a beautiful dog i would love to have my children have one.
Then buy them one from a reputible breeder. If you "give" your children a dog that you have bred not knowing if it has genetic defaults and it dies after they have become attached to it, you will now be doing that knowing what you SHOULD have done!

Please protect him, he's your baby!

tyr
October 25th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Happywon, you do not lose. Your question was just very strange and threw people off it seems. You do not have to be discouraged. At the same time you should not breed out of spite and anger. This is not good for the puppy as this is what your concerns and everyones concerns are all about. I know that it seems like an attack but it is really concern. Sometimes it can seem more aggressive in here than it actually is. We do not want to scare people away - it is not the intention. And the aggressiveness has been a thread topic many times in my almost 2 mons as a member. I am fairly new here as well, and remember feeling attacked as well.

On your part, you should have just asked for clarification on the things being said and reiterated your point of needing help. As well, you could have stated that you are inexperienced at this and were looking for answers and did not mean to cause trouble. I know you may not think you should have to do this, but that is the way things are sometimes.

Things can get rough sometimes if you hit the wrong nerve. Please do not be scared off though because of this. This forum is full of really great, loving and caring people (including the ones who have posted above).

I still, along with the others, believe you should not be breeding your pup. Though, he has already told you that. His behaviour is showing that he is pre-sexual and not ready for this yet. You should wait until he is 3 years old and physically and mentally ready - so no problems are caused. As well, have them CKC'd even though they are for you kids. This will ensure that his and her health is where it should be for breeding.

Are all of your kids ready for the challenges and responsibility of a puppy? And are you ready to take ownership as caretaker of these puppies when they are being kids? Do you not share the current puppy with your children? I am just trying to get a further idea of all of this.

GsdDiamond
October 25th, 2004, 03:30 PM
I'm not as passionate as the other members here, but I can totally understand where they're coming from.

The reason to breed these two dogs to give the kids, in both families, a puppy is a reason that deserves to be questioned. If the kids really want a puppy, go get one. The shelters are full of them. If the kids don't want a mixed breed, get a purebred from a reputable breeder. But breeding the dogs to get 2 (or three) for the kids, could mean 4 or more being put for adoption in an already saturated puppy "market".

When you're trying to breed two dogs, of any breed, the best thing to do is ask tons of questions BEFORE the breeding is attempted. Consult Vets, consult other breeders, read books, get insurance, have your home properly equipped and insulated so the neighbouring houses don't complain. If you don't have the time, or the inclination to ask the questions, or get properly equipped, then you don't have what it takes to breed the dogs, in a way that benefits the breed or is fair to the dogs.

There are too many people out there breeding dogs for the wrong reasons. This poster sounds like he/she loves their kids and their dog. But breeding to produce puppies for the kids only, IN MY OPINION, isn't something that should be attempted.

I'm not saying the poster is an unfit parent or owner, but more thought needs to be put into this for sure. Please, give an unwanted puppy a home and get your male fixed! He'll love you for it more in the long run. :D

gardenofeve
October 25th, 2004, 03:38 PM
sammiec Yes your questions were honest and no my dog is not registered. He was born in a home by a breeder that could not show him because his colouring wasn't right. I have the papers stating the dog has no defects. I am not sure if that is all i needed but i love the dog and defects or not he is mine forever. Thank you for asking some questions i now know to ask if i ever get another one.

Lesee how well I can work the formatting of this site. lol

Your puppy is way too young to be bred. They are still babies and some breeds take some time to mature.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but if your breeder gave you papers stating that the dog has no defects, they haven't been completely honest with you. There is no way a breeder can tell that especially at a young age. It usually takes about 2 1/2 years to determine that a dog is free of defects that can harm it, or worse, be passed down to it's puppies. You wouldn't want to give your children puppies that might be so sick because of a bad genetic problem that the puppy might have to be put down?

Also with Shih Tzu's, breeding is very difficult as is whelping. Your friend could very well lose her girl because of a bad birth. Toy breeds don't have easy times delivering puppies and when they have squished faces like Shih Tzu's, it makes it all the more difficult and the need for C-sections are pretty big. Not to mention rearing a litter of toy pups is VERY hard, often they'll have a tiny litter which needs to be watched around the clock. Puppies die from all sorts of things. Rough births, hypoglycemia, genetic defects, simply breeding the wrong colours together can cause fatal problems in puppies! No one wants to see that, least of all children.

It simply isn't worth the risk to your dog, your friend's dog or those puppies or your children. Both your dogs will live longer happier and healthier lives if spayed and neutered at young ages. You decrease the rate of cancer, reduce roaming, aggression and spare the female a heat every six months. I do hope you reconsider.