Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Humane Society vs County Rabies Control

heidiho
October 25th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Went to look at dogs this weekend,what a differencefrom the humane society to rabies animal control,hs was very clean,nice,kennels were ok..Almost got a 10 month old cutie...Then went to county rabies control,it was very depressing,dogs laying in there s***...Took out a pit bull,ears were cut off for fighting,so i played with him for a bit,just curious why such a difference in places..

MrsNorris151
October 25th, 2004, 03:22 PM
I think it is because the humane society gets donations to keep up their facilities and their animals. I also think they have volunteers who keep up the animals. Animal control is probably a county facility and I don't want to even know how much funding there is for them. But this isn't based on fact, this is just from what I have come to learn over the years with animal adoption.

heidiho
October 25th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Yeah you are probably right,can the county not accept donations???It was really very upsetting,they told me they dont even let them out,only when someone is interested in them do thye come out of there kennel.I will most likely go to the rabies county and get a dog when i get a dog,the humane society is alot better then that place i would rather save one form the county..

MrsNorris151
October 27th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Yeah, it is depressing the animals in the county shelter. I don't think they take donations as it is government funding, but diferent counties might have different rules. I know that at county shelters after some time they put the animals down no matter what their health. I remember looking at the website for the LA country animal shelter and it was soo sad. They had pictures of all the animals in the kennels along with the amount of time left before they put the animal down. They were all so pretty and it was sad to see one flashing red "10 minutes remaining...call....to reserve animal for adoption."
I agree with you, I would opt to find a doggie in the county first. Most likely they havn't really had a great life but they all deserve the chance to have a good family. Good LucK!!!