Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

christmas

jackieb
October 25th, 2004, 11:33 AM
yes i know sorry for the reminder lol!

How to you celebrate it im intrested as most of you know i only recently emmigrated here from england to canada and woonder what is traditional here. :crazy:

raingirl
October 25th, 2004, 01:05 PM
I guess it depends on who you are. I don't think you guys have "boxing day" in england do you? Well, basically, you get 2 days off instead of one. Boxing day is also the best day to shop all year!! Great deals! I leave at 7 am from home to downtown toronto for doorcrasher sales.

Boxing day sales are great for presents as well. With my fam we often get togerther after christmas (between christmas and new years) so I get all the extended fam gifts on boxing day!

My fam has a tradition of chinese food on christmas eve. Sometimes we would go skating at one of the outdoor rinks in the city on christmas eve.

jackieb
October 25th, 2004, 01:09 PM
yea we have boxing day normally the left overs from the day befroe and when you meet with family

GsdDiamond
October 25th, 2004, 02:15 PM
I avoid the stores on Boxing Day like they're all infected with the plague! I hate crowds at the best of times, I can only imagine what I'd be like in a crowed store!!! :evil:

My Christmas celebrations include a "come and go" party, where all the people arriving are treated to a glass (or three) of Christmas punch, homemade snacks and munchies. This year they all get a little bottle of homemade Khalua (sp?). A little more cheer for when they get home.

Since we bought the house, we've had one Christmas dinner at our place, and will probably do it again this year. I just LOVE decorating. I'm dreading the dog seeing the tree for the first time though. I can just picture what she's going to do to it. :eek:

Writing4Fun
October 25th, 2004, 10:16 PM
When I was a teen, I worked at Toys R Us. Oooh, that was some kinda party on Boxing Day! :crazy:

As with any good, Italian celebration, Christmas involves HUGE, indecent amounts of food. Christmas Eve is always fish (but the "kids" manage to sneak out to get some McDonalds or La Belle - yes, our generation will burn in He**). On Christmas Day, Mom usually trots out some sort of hors d'oeuvres (quiches, sausage rolls, Chinese chicken balls, etc...). That is followed by soup, a pasta dish (not just any pasta dish - usually lasagna or canelloni), followed by a meat dish (chicken cutlets or ham or a roast) with salad, lots of veggies, roast potatoes, gravy, bread (gotta have bread), which is usually followed by coffee and various desserts (cheese cake, chocolate cake, a dozen or so assorted home-made cookies, ice cream log, etc...). Good thing Christmas only comes once a year!! (the scale says WHAT?! :eek: )

crazyhorse
October 26th, 2004, 01:22 PM
December 1st we start by putting up the outdoor Christmas lights(befor it gets to cold) then we come in to hot apple cider with lemon slices and cinimmon sticks. go to the museum for the Christmas picture with santa and drop off letter and have a carriage ride. 2nd week of Dec christmas tree goes up and we begin decorating it. My son and I go shopping for th one special toy he really wants and it goes to the community donation box. This way Santa knows this is the one my son wants (because Santa is always watching).Then we have a birthday party (neice's B-day). Then it is time to decorate the dinning room living room and hall/stairway.week 3 shop for hubby's birthday gift/christmas gift(he is an impulse shopper...grrrr).3Days befor christmas have a b-day party for hubby. Christmas eve Family time for sheppards pie and apple pie, hang stockings and visit far away family via internet /web cam. Starting next week each shopping day I pick up extra sale items for food box. Each trip to the Dollar store how (greart are they) Extra mitten/hats/scarves/socks, for the community box. My mum always said warm hands warm heart. That is tradition at my house. Christmas morn we get up around 5:30am open stockings have a big breakfast then we open gifts. Our phone starts ringing about 7:00am with well wishes. That is our tradition

glasslass
October 26th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Thanksgiving is celebrated at my house. Day after Thanksgiving, we hang the American flag (depicted all in red, white & blue lights) in front of the house and put the huge lighted star up on the TV tower above the house - signifies "One nation under God"! We also run Xmas lights and icicle lights all along the roofline. My Christmas tree ornaments are all little dogs and cats - collected over the last 37 years. Christmas Eve, we go to my mother-in-laws and take a big macaroni and cheese and a pecan pie. My sis-in-law can't cook, but she does know how to put a ham in the oven and fix a jello salad and heat up a frozen vegetable. We keep it simple. Next day, on Christmas, we have the big Turkey meal with all the trimmings and pies at my mom's home. I do all the pies for each meal. Turkey noodles and leftovers day after Christmas.

melanie
October 26th, 2004, 07:00 PM
yay christmas cant wiat. we have a good ole aussie christmas.

we cook in the blazing heat all morning, sweating and cursing and swearing next year we will have salads (never happens) (stupid old traditions)),

we swat the flies of our hot slaved over food,

half of us are cranky as it is so hot and you jsut spent 6hrs cooking with no help from those men and the flies are driving you mad and the fans are pumping around hot air,

we eat until we are sick and feel really bad cause its so hot and your half drunk and eaten too much, then we all pass out in front of the telly to kill off our brains with a bit of test match cricket (or you get so bored by the cricket you do the dishes) or you spend the afternoon trying to figure out half of those toys the kids get, just putting in the batteries is a challenge :rolleyes: .

we then spend boxing day eating all the leftovers. our big sales are on new yrs day.

oh and christmas day is the only day of the year you get to eat sweets for breakfast, mum puts out a big table of lollies and treats (including those fruit mince pies)for all to eat while doing the presents.

and i love it all, would not give it up for quids, although it would be nice to be cold on christmas and eat hot food in the right weather, that is just weird if you ask me, for this christmas i (a vegetarian) have alreay a ham, chicken, roast and my sister has a huge turkey.my family would kill me if i ever tried to cook vegetarian christmas, i think they might jsut eat me :D (but i jsut put vegetarina fare in with the meat stuff, they are busy eating and would never notice) .

oh and in our family all doggies get dressed up in reindeer ears and eat all they like, they love it and they get lots of presents too from family and friends.

i cant wait, but really the heat is so australian at chrismas, i would not feel right without the sweat in your eyes.... :D

'Deck the sheds with chunks of wattle, fala la la lalalalala, tis the season to crack a bottle, fal la.......'

or

'dashing through the paddocks, in a rusty holden ute, over fields we go laughing all the way............

glasslass
October 27th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Forgive me Mel, but I'd love to be around you when you've polished off a few cold ones. Somehow, I'm getting a little insight in how you are making merry! :party:

Sneaky2006
October 27th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Forgive me Mel, but I'd love to be around you when you've polished off a few cold ones Me too!!!

Is the boxing day the official first day of christmas shopping? Or is it the day after christmas?

Here we call the day after Thanksgiving, Black Friday! It is the first official day of christmas shopping and the best day to find great sales. Sales are so good, people actually line up before 6am outside stores to get their items first! It is so crazy, we always say we are never going to go because of the madness but then we go anyway and we laugh the entire time because it is just so rediculous! We've already waited in a checkout line for more than 2 hours.
I love Christmas, it is my favorite holiday. We also decorate the day after Thanksgiving, always getting a real tree.
We always have the same plan, we go to my inlaw's on Christmas eve to open presents and drink! Then to my mom's by midnight to open gifts there (and drink spiked egg nog). She lets us have the christmas cookies and candy after midnight! I still feel like a kid because of this, it's like she knows we can't wait till morning!
Then we have our christmas here in the morning for our son... then back to our mom's houses when the entire family goes, more eating, more drinking.
Turkey and ham, all the fixins, just like thanksgiving dinner.
I can't wait for Christmas... we also watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation while decorating... it really gets you in the mood!

CyberKitten
October 29th, 2004, 12:12 AM
I thought boxing day began in England. It is the US that does not have it (since they threw out the Brits in the revolutionary war, <g>

Boxing Day is the day after Christmas. In Canada, (at least here in the Maritimes, no stores are open). When I spend Christmas in Florida, we do go shopping the next day!!

melanie
October 29th, 2004, 04:56 PM
here in oz it is the day after xmas, and no stores are open, i think some open late in the day for some supplies. but that is it. :crazy: