Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

VENTING...I am at a loss...

sammiec
October 25th, 2004, 10:21 AM
** Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, it can be moved... I wasn't sure if ALL pit bull talk was supposed to be here or just ban stuff ** :o

Okay, I was talking to my dad this morning about the protest and the ban altogether. He's saying that to keep Briggs out of the papers I should have a muzzle on her now!!! I have tried and tried to explain that human aggression is NOT the same as dog aggression and that when they used to fight the dogs that biting humans was not tolerated and that the dog was to be put down - essentially, human aggression was bred out the them, for the most part...

He keeps telling me to make sure that she careful around children and that she could bite if she gets spooked... isn't that the same for any dog??!? I mean their bichpoo (bichone frise/ poodle cross :rolleyes: ) bites me all the time...

My 80 year old grandmother gave me a lecture about how the dogs will try and bite again once they taste blood!!! And they can't be trusted... don't let it sleep with you!!!
As much as I spend time trying to educate people about my dog and the breed my own family won't even try to understand...

Sorry I just had to vent...

marko
October 25th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Hi sammiec,

Yes all Pit bull talk relating to banning (protesting would be included) and BSL should now be posted in this new sub forum.

Thanks

Marko

Luvmypit
October 25th, 2004, 10:28 AM
My brothers wives don't let my nephews come over cause of my pit. And my family always jokes about my dog with comments such as this " Did your dog eat anyone today?" It really bugs me but I just laugh it up and say ignorance is bliss. I would like my nephews to be able to sleep over but I dont want to ask because i dont want to be told that its because of my dog. Its sad and I know the feeling! Next time now since this ban Iw ill give them a little lecture about these dogs. I have evn asked my mom to adopt a pit bull to save them and she said no because she has a dog already. Im even thinking of getting one myself but Im concerned about having two at the same time. plus I dont have the space. I have a large apartment with a huge balcony. But then again an apartment is better then death for these dogs.

LavenderRott
October 25th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Sorry, Sammie, I hate to laugh but I just can't help it. I have reached a point where my mom and I just can not talk about dog issues AT ALL! That is very sad because I got my love of animals from her. I don't know if maybe she was smarter when she was younger, or what.

My own daughter told me that there is an enzyme in human blood that makes it addictive! I had to pull the van off the road I was laughing so hard.

My mom thinks that the ban in her city is a wonderful thing. She bought herself a pet shop chi for Christmas last year. And she feeds her dogs Eukanuba. I think you can see why we have issues.

When I first got Chase, 7 years ago, my brother told me that he wouldn't bring his daughter to my house as long as "that dog" is allowed to run loose while she is in the house. So I don't invite him over. Chase is however, welcome at my mother's for all family functions. Out of 8 dogs, she is the best behaved. Kind of makes you go...hhhmmmm.

sammiec
October 25th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Thanks guys. I do have a bit of a laugh at it as well. It's very sad though... my best friend and her husband are having a child and have already asked that we be their exclusive babysitters - they know that we have a pit bull (who is best friends with their golden) and are willing to put their child in "harms way" as many would affectionately call it! :rolleyes: Yet my grandmother is concerned that if the dog comes on her property it will eat her! I have tried and tried to explain this to them! She even went to great lengths of calling my father after finding out that I had a pit bull "Do you know that you're daughter has one of those dogs?... and that's okay with you?" - I haven't lived at home for years... I am an ADULT! Yes, I have a pit bull and yes, I would chose her over any other breed if I had to do it all over again!!! It saddens me to think that as long as I live here (Ontario) I might never have another should she pass! :(
I try and stay away from family gatherings because SOMEONE loves to point out; "Oh, did you know that Sam has a pit bull?.... what ever made you decide to get one of those ?... do you lock her up when people come over, so she doesn't bite them?... you better be careful, living in an apartment with one of those dogs, what if she tries to bite someone on the elevator, you're trapped!!!" :eek: Oh the horror!!!

Tannerbaby
October 25th, 2004, 12:21 PM
:sorry: Sam, some people are just soooo ignorant when it comes to these dogs...no one can see that SOME dogs are good...Im lucky, My mom and my inlaws, and my husbands cousin & wife, are the only 5 people I have ever known that accept my dog and arent afraid of him! I'll adopt you into my family if you want some family to accept your baby too...... :crazy:

sammiec
October 25th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Aww, thanks!! :thumbs up

Pit bull KY
October 25th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Do to a girl getting her face chewed off by a pit bull in ky, u must have ur pit on lesh at all times. That includes public parks, walking, or just having fun in ur yard. Kind of ingnorant if u ask me and steriotypical. Now dont get me wrong my pit will tear anybody up that comes on my property not invited, but other than that when im walking her she doesnt bother nobody, and is the sweatist dog in the world. Note the girl that got bite walked right into a house that she never went into before, the dog was in the wrong yes, sad story, but wasnt it just being a guard protecting its family. Later on ill get the link to the story so you all can read up on it.

sammiec
October 25th, 2004, 12:57 PM
See, I believe that ANY dog should be on a leash when outdoors. It protects them and others. In today's society it's a necessity. Back in the 50 and 60's people didn't tie their animals (that's what my dad says at least ;) ) but today's society is different; faster, busier, more complex. I think that animals are safer when on a leash. We ONLY go off leash in areas that I am familiar with and that is fenced - like a school yard at 8 o'clock - no children no people. It's kinda depressing that it's that way, but it's safe for my dog and I'm willing to do that for her protection.
If you have a properly secured back yard (no chain link fence) then your dog should be alright as long as they are supervised. They shouldn't be left alone in the backyard anway. These dogs are VERY social (by comparison a little more than other breeds (or is that my dog only, LOL!!!)) But if left alone outside while you're watching tv they WILL try and escape for attention...

mastifflover
October 25th, 2004, 01:12 PM
You are right but I still am having trouble getting my head around the fact that someone is shocked when they enter a house or backyard where there is a dog and they are not with the owner and the dog gets protective. What do you think this animal is protecting its home and family. I am sorry but if you come in my apartment uninvited dont expect my dog to just lie there and wait for you to rob me or attack me. Well Buddy might. Wake up people but I love the fact that my dog does not want me threatened or attacked or robbed. I think under the circumstances any dog not just a KILLER PIT BULL would do the same.

Luvmypit
October 25th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Im with ya on that fact that these dogs need and want human attention almost constantly. My pit cries when Im in the washroom. Cries when I run to drop the garbage. Cries even when my boyfriends 8 year old is in her bunk bed and he can't get to her.