Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how did you guys get started with pets?

raingirl
October 24th, 2004, 09:05 PM
I was just wondering how you all got started with owning pets.

All my life I have lived in pet free places until Aug. 1 of this year (my mother was allergic, no pets allowed at university, and no pets allowed at my first apartment). All that time I have wanted to get a dog, and now I can...but I am still having problems getting one (another story...basically, all our applications are being denied).

I was just wondering how you guys got involved with pets? Did you have one growing up? Did you just go and buy one?

I don't actually mean it when I say this, but I'm almost tempted to go buy one in a pet store because I'm so sick of seeing all those pets on petfinder, but not being allowed to have one! I won't actually do it, don't worry...

I just was wondering if anyone would share their stories about their first pets. :)

Lucky Rescue
October 24th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Gee, I can't remember NOT having pets. My father was always bringing home birds, kittens, hamsters, turtles, fish, etc.from my earliest memories. My parents taught us to respect animals and treat them kindly. If we were scratched or bitten all we were told is "Then stop bothering the (whatever) and it won't bite you!" :D

Mysts38
October 24th, 2004, 09:43 PM
I was the kinda kid that ALWAYS brought an animal home....I have always loved animals...and my love just grew I cant imagine never having a pet around

Bugsy
October 24th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Well, as a child I broke out in hives and the pediatrician told my parents I was allergic to cats & dogs :confused:
Afterwards my parents wouldn't let me have pets believing I was allergic :sad: . However, secretly I was still petting every dog I saw :rolleyes: Finally at 17 my mom gave in & let me have a dog... I couldn't decide between a GSD and a Rottie. I chose the GSD. When I moved I brought him with me & immediately adopted a Rottie to keep him company. :D

heeler's rock!
October 24th, 2004, 10:44 PM
I wasn't allowed to have pets growing up. My mom was TERRIFIED of dogs as her, her brother, and her mother were all attacked when she was a kid in England. I always loved dogs and cats. My dad's best friend had an amazing dog named Elliott and he would bring her over sometimes. I fell inl ove with her! She was a big black dog, probably lab cross, and that's how I knew I was ment to have dogs.

I had a hampster and a rabbit, but after the rabbit died, my mom said no more pets! I moved out and adopted a kitty named Puff, who I took back to my mom's house. She's still there. So much for my mom wanting no more pets! ;) It took 20 years for me to convince her to let me get a dog, and that's when I got Red. Then, I somehow convinced her to let me get Kia at 8 weeks old, but I think that was because I was getting married and moving out so I would be taking Kia with me. Anyways, when we moved, we knew we needed to buy a house, so we didn't have to deal with renting and not keeping pets. Pet friendly housing is really hard to find in Calgary. Then when we moved, we got Helix, our 2 kittens, and our bunny Onyx! Hubby already had Kiwi and the toads at his parent's house!

Sorry for the long story, but that's how I got dogs and cats! :)

Cinnabear
October 25th, 2004, 12:56 AM
I grew up with dogs. Usually 2 at a time. I had a hamster in my teens, boy does it ever hurt when they bite. I'm so glad my dd's never asked to have hamsters or other rodents. :D I got a cat when I was living with my bf at the time now dh. I must say I love cats. Then we went on with more cats and then my dh wanted a dog. Now we have 3 cats and 2 dogs. :love:

Sneaky2006
October 25th, 2004, 01:22 AM
I had dogs growing up, 1 at a time though. I always wanted a cat so bad! But I was told no every time I mentioned it, dog would eat it, etc. I did have bunnies and hampsters when I got older and my dad always had fish but they were so boring.
Well now we have 4 cats, first one was a rescue from THS and he kept sticking his paw out of the cage to touch me... we didn't even go there looking for a cat, we were just looking around. After getting him, any time anyone saw a stray kitten outside they'd call us, got three more that way.
I couldn't be happier with them. We may get a dog sometime, but we'll see.

Cflat
October 25th, 2004, 09:59 AM
The people I lived with raised St. Bernards. I used to take the puppies out of the whelping box and put them in my bed at night :D. We also had a miniature poodle and a budgie (whom I fed crayons too - what pretty poop he had!) I can't remember not having an animal of some form, shape or size. I can't imagine not having one either.

mastifflover
October 25th, 2004, 10:09 AM
I grew up with dogs. My parents believed that if you were brought up around animals that it would teach you respect for them and it would make you a more compassionate person. I think they were right. My mom used to say if the dog warned us with a growl that if we got bit it was because we were doing something to instigate it. We will find you a dog Rachel be patient.

doggy lover
October 25th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Sorry I've always had pets when I was a kid and once I got married and moved out I've never been without every thing from dogs and cats, to lizards and birds. Right now I have a Border Collie , two barn cats, a bearded dragon, two koi and a fantail goldfish. We have also had rabbits, wild injured birds and the list goes on. When I was a kid I always wanted to be a vet so I guess I have always had a love for animals. The best thing you could do right now is get some books, or go on the internet and read, learn all you can, you can even get some vet books, I saved one of my dogs lives because of reading a vet book he got bloat and could have died within hours and the emergency vet was impressed that I knew what was going on and that we took him to the clinic right away. Once you are dog savy try going to the Animal shelters for a dog, I'm sure there are dogs in their that would make wonderful pets, or try breeders again once you are armed with all this knowledge. They are fussy I find (the ones that care) because they want to make sure their puppies are going to a good home. If you find one that doesn't care then I would shy away from that one.

raingirl
October 25th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. It seems you guys had a lot of experience with animals at a young age.

We couldn't have animals really because of allergies. At least not anything that big.

I had a guinea pig when i was about...in grade 5?? But it kept escaping from its cage so my mother gave it away.

Then my sister had hamsters, which commited insest (ewww...) that I refused to have anything to do with...they eventually all got pneumonia one year and died.

My sister also had a bird...it died of cancer. And then she got an iguana who she had to give away because she couldn't care for anymore.

I guess as a kid I got annoyed after the guinea pig thing. The rest of the pets weren't mine and my sister freaked if I went near them. I was so disgusted and how bad she treated them.

I guess because I have no experience with pets, it's making it really hard to find a doggy. I want to thank you all for your advice so far. Not having a car really is making it harder than I thought. I know eventually things will happen when the time is right.

I think I've decided to put the dog thing on hold, and I'm going to get fish or a bunny instead. There are lots of bunnies in need out there, and at least I know how to take care of them (I worked at a petting zoo one summer). I just need to get rid of all those power cords!! That should be fun!