Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Mminiature dachshund's eating habits have changed

randy.love
October 24th, 2004, 06:31 PM
I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this is something that has been covered before.

We have a miniature daschund that is 11 years old and about 14 pounds. She has always eaten somewhat regularly...misses her "mom" and doesn't eat as well as she should when mom is gone, but lately eats all the time whether she's gone or not.

Up until now Heidi (the dog) would eat approx. 2 cups of Eukanuba senior dog food every 3 to 4 days. For the last week she'll easliy eat that much in a day...and a siginificant amount of water with it. I've never thought that she ate enough prior to this, but now this is worrisome that her eating habits have changed so dramatically. We don't see an increase in weight, but she has been acting a little "dopey".

I might add that we've been in an apartment for the last two months waiting for a new home to be built and Heidi doesn't get outside as much, and depends on frequent walks for excercise and fresh air. Hopefully, we'll be moving very soon and this will all be corrected.

Any thoughts?

raingirl
October 24th, 2004, 07:34 PM
I don't have a dog, but I hear a lot of people on this board talk about hyperthyroidism which has similar symptoms. I would check with your vet because if it is, it would need meds.

Cinnabear
October 25th, 2004, 12:58 AM
When they start to drink more water, they might have diabetes. See a vet please.

randy.love
October 25th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Thank you for the responses. We'll be going to the vet today.