Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog eating fruits

onecatandonedog
October 24th, 2004, 11:50 AM
my old dog used to love to eat melon, it was one of his favourite foods and if he smelled it he would come to it. it was funny. but my new dog doesn't like to eat melon, in fact she won't eat any fruit.

lilith_rizel
October 24th, 2004, 12:31 PM
My dog loves apple cores, carrots, broccoli, and bread. It may just be your new dogs tastes. Maybe he/ she doesn't like sweet things.

Iggette
October 24th, 2004, 12:43 PM
One year we grew sweet peas the pod and the peas were both edible, but I only liked the little peas inside!(so sweet and yummy raw). So Bandit (my old dog R.I.P.) used to walk behind me and eat the shells that I threw on the ground :thumbs up No mess......lol

meggie1425
October 24th, 2004, 01:14 PM
My birds love apples(but what bird dosent?? :rolleyes: ) and pretty much all other fruits. My aunts cat loves fruit, and also comes running as soon as he smells any. Her other cat likes chips :D

Sneaky2006
October 24th, 2004, 02:07 PM
My mom's dogs didn't eat any kind of fruit or veggies... they would if offered but my mom was always one that said dog food only!
One of my cats eats veggies... she loves asparagus and green beans, and she will sit pretty for an olive!
When we first brought her home her first meal was green beans, not by my choice though... I had her on the counter to fix her food, wet mixed with dry... she was under 6 weeks old and she decided not to wait to eat and helped herself to a bowl of green beans that were setting there.

melanie
October 24th, 2004, 05:27 PM
it depends on the individual, i have my mums dog at he mo and he wont eat fruit or veges which is odd as my dog will eat anythign as long as it has stopped moving (i hope) :crazy:

Cinnabear
October 25th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Actually I was quite surprised to see my dogs eating the ends of the broccoli. They love carrots and peppers. Sometimes they will eat celery,watermelon and apples. They do like corn on the cob.

diandpat
October 25th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Hobo and Ginger LOVE fruits and vegetables including, but not limited to, carrots, apples, cucumbers, and bananas. They especially like when I freeze the banana slices and they get pieces when they come in from their walk. It is like a little popsicle. They go straight to the freezer. They would rather have "people" food then dog treats and it is supposed to be good for them too, in moderation of course ; )

moontamara
October 25th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Casey loves fruit too, more than his doggie meat-based treats. His favourites are asian pears and mandarin oranges (these are cheap in Korea, unlike apples and regular oranges!). If I'm not careful he'll even try to eat the mandarin peel. I'm pretty sure he shouldn't, so I haven't let him. Although I do let him eat a small piece of persimmon peel. :crazy:

anniebananie
October 25th, 2004, 10:28 AM
I had two King Charles Cavalers once that adored eating raw sprouts and would also *pick their own* raspberries if I didn't get to them first. :evil: Another dog I once had used to pick her own tomatoes. Niether my JR's now like anything fruit or veggie unless it has grave on it :D

Mysts38
October 25th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Hannah had her first peeled apple last night and loved it! I wanted to start her on fruit,as it is so good for her

Cinnabear
October 25th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Oh yes my dog will eat the raspberries and peas off of the stock, only if your around them. :D Silly dog.

mastifflover
October 25th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Just a note grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs so keep these away form them

onecatandonedog
October 30th, 2004, 09:01 PM
a tiny amount of chocolate is very poisonus to your dog. do not feed them chocolate, and in fact it is best not to give them treats unless treat is water or freindly petting. my dog catches them tree varmints and sqwerls, cat eat mouse and rabbits. my dog try to catch antelope but it ran away from me. i am hungry.

heeler's rock!
October 30th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Onecatandonedog, you are either a troll or one seriously diluded individual. I've been reading your posts and threads and they make no sense and some are rude. You are probably getting a kick out of talking like a redneck and making no sense. Like this line for instance, in fact it is best not to give them treats unless treat is water or freindly petting So you only give your dog and cat water as a treat?? You must be kidding because no person in their right mind would come onto a pet lover's public forum saying that.

In another thread you started you said when you grow up you'll have lots of cats, but your profile says your like 21!!! You are trying to get kicks out of acting childish and getting people worked up. If you have nothing relevent or educated to say, just don't bother.

glasslass
October 31st, 2004, 12:31 PM
I grew some "Sweet 100" Cherry tomatoes. Den-Den loved them and helped himself. Puss-Puss brought me a live, unharmed tomato worm for a special present! :eek: Ewwww! I finally put up a chicken wire cage around the plant to keep them both out.

BamaRama
October 31st, 2004, 03:45 PM
Grapes are toxic to dogs?! :confused: My parents feed their 6 year old Shepherd cross, Daisy, grapes in the summertime...and they have for years..she loves them, has never had a problem at all...she likes them cold, and loves popping the skin in her teeth...

Not that I'm saying it's ok to feed your dog grapes, but I'm just wondering if they're toxic then why hasn't Daisy been sick at all?

doggy lover
October 31st, 2004, 03:57 PM
Grapes or raisins can cause kidney failure, mushrooms contain toxins, onions destroy red blood cells and can cause amenia, tomatoes and the plants contain atropine which can cause dilated pupils, tremors and heart arrhythmias, apple seeds and other fruit pits are also poisonus to dogs, dark chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate and their are other things that are dangerous to feed your dogs. My vet told me about some of these there was also a article in the Scarborough Mirror a couple of months ago about it. As my puppy eats our food as well he told me to becareful of what you feed him. My last dog loved wild strawberries he use to pick them at our cottage and eat them, if you were picking them to you had to keep and eye on him because he would steal yours

melanie
October 31st, 2004, 04:18 PM
many foods such as grapes can be toxic in large amounts. i used to buy my girl a kilo of seeless grapes every 2 weks as she loved them frozen, i heard about the toxicity, never had any probs here biut i have cut her back to a few a week, instead of her bag (poor gal is a bit miffed about it too).

charlie my gal eats all veges and fruit, not onions of course but she lvoes an apple or tomato, and helps herself all day in the garden, cant stop her unless i tie her mouth up :D

she had an accident yrs ago and can no longer feel her tounge so cant eat bones as she eats her tounge intstead (really grose too) so she has brocolli stumps and carrots for bones (as well as denta stix etc) and she loves it, brocolli is her favourite treat and it is jsut like a nice cold bone. andi get lots of lovin for it too :D :D

quote'my dog catches them tree varmints and sqwerls' oh and that is just real nice, i doubt this person is serious or even actually has animals or anything, i agree heelers, jsut looking to start a bit of trouble, well to that person stop it, dont be so boring :mad: .

heidiho
November 1st, 2004, 01:46 PM
trolllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anniebananie
November 1st, 2004, 01:55 PM
I have discovered that my eldest JR loves cooked sprouts - (baby cabbage type of ones) Last night we gave her one smothered in gravy, thinking she would lick the gravy off - but she rolled it around the carpet (ughhh) until the grave was all over the place, then ate the sprout :p So my husband tried another without the gravy and she gobbled that up as well. I knew that chocolate was poisonous for dogs - learnt that the hard way years ago. It didn't kill the dog, but she was hospitalized and on a drip for ages. Eventually she did recover, but it was touch and go for a time. Didn't know that other stuff could also poision a dog.

heidiho
November 1st, 2004, 02:07 PM
You know there is one person here that writes things the same as other weird posts i have seen here.....