Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Teeth Whitening

krdahmer
October 23rd, 2004, 11:40 PM
Has anyone used one of those over the counter whiteners? I am trying one the dentist gave me as a sample (he likes to use me as a guinea pig- I also got a free oral B fancy mechanical toothbrush thingy), it's oral B Rembrandt whitening kit, they are not quite like the crest strips but similar. Right now I kinda feel like I am wearing a mouth guard....like I should be out tackling someone!!! LOL This is day one....I got 6 to go/ 1/2hr per day...I'll let ya know what it turns out like. I'm hoping like this... :D ;)

Sneaky2006
October 24th, 2004, 05:17 AM
I've tried a few... but I can't use them because I have really really sensitive teeth and the whiteners made them even more sensitive! It's obvious to me now that the gels and strips take something out of your teeth besides the stains!
I use baking soda and peroxide mix... it's kinda like those other things but without the chemicals, it works pretty good if you can do it often... but it tastes so gross!
Good luck to ya! :D

Mysts38
October 24th, 2004, 08:01 AM
You HAVE to try Crest Vivid White :thumbs up ..Iam SO serious..Iam a smoker and coffee drinker and had stains on my teeth..I tried Crest Vivid white and the stains are NOT only gone...but the toothpaste protects teeth against future stains

You will notice a diff with the first brushing,and they will continue to get white after that..Give it a try you wont be sorry...I know this sounds like a tv ad LOL..but when I get a product that actually works,I get excited about it

Sneaky2006
October 24th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Is it a regular toothpaste with all the other goodies in it? Tarter control, fluoride, cavity protection, etc?

Mysts38
October 24th, 2004, 03:36 PM
It sure is... :D

raingirl
October 24th, 2004, 09:11 PM
My dentist is anti-teeth whitener (odd huh?).

I agree with him though. Tooth whitening just takes layers of enamel off your teeth that you will never get back!!! This makes them more prone to caveties, and sensitivity and wearing down.

I would rather have less white but more healthy teeth.

lilith_rizel
October 25th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Raingirl,
You are right on tooth whitening. It wears away the enamel. Once I found that out, I stopped. The best thing to use is a normal whitening toothpaste. I use the crest whitening expressions. It comes in three (maybe more) great flavors, cinnimon, mint, and orange. I have almost used a entire tube, and I am satisfied with my smile. I wish it would have been out when I was in 6th grade and got braces. I hated wearing those things, and for 2 years!

krdahmer
October 26th, 2004, 12:11 AM
Ya ok...so people with sensitive teeth...SKIP the whitening....I mean OUCH!!!!
I've only done two treatments and today I can't drink tea and my front teeth are just aching! :sad: And I was so looking forward to having a real movie star smile! :D I get enough compliments on the one I have now I guess, so as for whitening- I quit and am breaking out the sensodine for the next few days!
Although for those of you with stronger and tougher teeth than me, that Oral B Rembrandt new whitening strips work great, after just two treatments I can see a huge difference and mine were not that stained to begin with! :thumbs up

GsdDiamond
October 26th, 2004, 09:37 AM
I saw on TV (a kids show to tell the truth - but a very good one!) that whitening products are not good for your teeth. Besides, most people over whiten. Dentists say a person's teeth should not be whiter than the whites of the eyes. Otherwise it looks too phoney.

The kids show I like to watch?: Street Cents on CBC. Mondays at 5:30 Central. Its a scaled down version of Marketplace. They do a lot of product testing. Very handy to watch if you're looking at buying something and need to know about it.