Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

is this normal?

susanheb
October 23rd, 2004, 09:26 PM
I'm starting to feel a little embarrassed...almost every post of mine has been about a concern regarding the 'genitalia' area! I didn't even want to put this question in the 'ask the vet' area because I feel too conspicuous about it!
<sigh> Here it is:
A week or so ago, I had concerns about Frodo regarding what I thought might be stones etc. One of the 'symptoms' I listed was that he 'peed' on my bed (or at least I assumed he did). Well, now I know for sure that this was not the case. I woke up this morning and felt something a little wet with my foot :eek: and when I looked down, Frodo was laying there, still asleep but having ....a wet dream. :mad:
I picked him up and put him into his own bed on the floor and he stood there for a while in spasms and made his own bed wet. Is this normal doggie behaviour? I have never owned a dog before and maybe all you regulars might be able to discern that I seem to be a hopeless paranoid hypochondriac when it comes to my dog. :o

You can imagine the troubles I had when I tried doing a 'search' using 'key' words! ACK!
Thanks for all your help.
Sue

Cinnabear
October 23rd, 2004, 09:54 PM
I would get your dog neutered. Yes it would be normal for a dog to have wet dreams. Are you sure your dog wasn't drooling? I don't think that they have much semen wetness to pass through a blanket unless it was a sheet.

goldenblaze
October 23rd, 2004, 09:56 PM
You poor things the troubles you are having ;) Ok, I have never heard of this before in my life :D TG. I must say I'm glad it doesn't happen with my boys as Jordie sleeps beside me and Blaze honest sleeps across my pillows :eek: Good Luck

Sneaky2006
October 24th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Wow, I feel so bad for you! I can only imagine what came up in your net search. Yikes!
I don't have a dog, so I don't know if this is normal but if he's not neutered that would make sense...
If he IS neutered, I haven't a clue.
Let us know what you find out and good luck!

susanheb
October 24th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Cinnabear...do you know of any articles or anything else on the web regarding this? (yes I know he wasn't drooling...his 'thing' was sticking out!) And yes, it was a sheet..but this is a shih tzu for goodness sake...not a bull! :o
I really want to learn more about this and I'm afraid of my search engine...
Sue
(Thanks everyone for your kind comments.)

I would get your dog neutered. Yes it would be normal for a dog to have wet dreams. Are you sure your dog wasn't drooling? I don't think that they have much semen wetness to pass through a blanket unless it was a sheet.

Dwight Byrd
October 24th, 2004, 08:29 AM
I suggest that you have your dog neutered if this has not already been done. It is also the humane thing to do.

susanheb
October 24th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Hi...I probably should have been a little more specific. :cool:
My dog is not neutered...but this really isn't a question or debate for the issue of neutering. No offence, but I didn't ask about whether or not to get him neutered as I have obviously made my choice already for reasons known only to me at this point.
Or maybe I'm just not seeing your point. You believe that my dog is living inhumanely because he is not neutered and is having wet dreams? Do you think he is suffering? Have I missed the boat here?
Sincerely,
Susan

I suggest that you have your dog neutered if this has not already been done. It is also the humane thing to do.

Sneaky2006
October 24th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Sorry to say, that's going to be the answer from a lot of people here.
You probably wouldn't have the wet dream problem if he was neutered and I know you didn't ask if he should or not, but that is the best thing for him unless you plan to breed him, but that's a whole other topic and a whole other argument too...

goldenblaze
October 24th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Just a point...... Jordie my shih tzu is neutered and he does still like to hump things like stuffed toys and sometimes tries to get Blaze when he is laying down... :o Not sure if being neutered would stop this, maybe you can ask your own Vet and see what they have to say. Good Luck

carey
October 24th, 2004, 01:22 PM
You want info on "wet dreams" and it is turning into a "neutering" concern. Probably your vet is the best person to advise on this - and he or she should also advise on the benefits of sterilization - not just for health reasons (although that is a "biggie" and in the best interests of your dog) but also to prevent yet another litter coming into this already overpopulated world.

Cinnabear
October 25th, 2004, 01:22 AM
I'm sorry to say that if he is humping whatever, he is squirting semen. With him being neutered, he may still hump but there will be no semen squirting out. Some males are more prone to be fiesty in that department and some others are not. No I do not have any articles on that. Search dog sex behavior on the net

I have no idea how to control that type of behavior, but with neutering he will at least not be as wet.