Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nutro ultra?

downloader
October 23rd, 2004, 07:55 PM
hey has anyone fed their dog Ultra? Its new from nutro, any comments?

www.bluewhippet.net

Daiana
November 1st, 2004, 01:50 PM
I wrote the company for a sample, but when I got it, my dog wouldn't touch it. Don't know why.
I'm not saying it's bad, just that my fussy dog turned his nose up at it.

jjgeonerd
November 1st, 2004, 03:07 PM
My dog likes it...she is about 7 months old and still on the puppy formula.

goldenblaze
November 1st, 2004, 04:04 PM
Blaze has Nutro large bred puppy, he is nine months on the 8 th so we are looking for adult food and we going to try Nutro large bred in a couple of months and I hope he likes it as he does do well on it. Never heard anything bad about it. Does your dog like the Ultra?

jjgeonerd
November 1st, 2004, 04:43 PM
Oops...Gabby actually eats the Nutro Max, not the Ultra. Too many names! :)

downloader
November 1st, 2004, 07:52 PM
Didn't try it yet, looks like it has really good stuff in it.

www.bluewhippet.net

lilith_rizel
November 2nd, 2004, 10:30 AM
We feed Cano Nutro Lamb & Rice formula. It has made a big difference in his coat. It is getting shinnier. And he has only been on it for 2 1/2 weeks. He is also starting to eat ALOT less, and making fewer poo's. He doesn't like it as well as the "junk" we just got him off from, but he likes it enough to eat most of what is put in his dish during feeding.
I did a search on different brands of dog food, and I found a scale, that rated a bunch of brands. The scale ranged 1-10. 10 being the best. the Nutro brand was a number 7 I believe. I will try to find it, and post it.

lilith_rizel
November 2nd, 2004, 10:37 AM
Here it is, the scale is down at the bottom of the page.

http://www.preciouspets.org/healthypetnet/drjane.htm

sujean
November 2nd, 2004, 03:54 PM
"I did a search on different brands of dog food, and I found a scale, that rated a bunch of brands. The scale ranged 1-10. 10 being the best. the Nutro brand was a number 7 I believe. I will try to find it, and post it."

lilith_rizel: that site is an advertising site for "Life's Abundance Premium Food". Of course they will give that food a 10.

I have seen a lot of "scales" for different types of food. after awhile, you start to go cross eyed from all the opinions out there. My dog is on nutro, as are my 4 cats, and at the risk of sounding like a commercial here: their coats have never felt better. they are incredibly silky. the cats shed less=less hair balls. the poop is more solid and less stinky. and lastly, our dog, who has allergies due to EVERYTHING has a full thick healthy coat-also less shedding!

Nutro is an excellent food. bonus is i can buy it at a pet store too. and even though it is a little more expensive than most premium brands (but not my much), it's definately worth it for our babies!

hateinlaws
November 3rd, 2004, 01:58 PM
We feed both of our dogs nutro as well. They love it and I love that it's a great food. Our lad used to be on Iams but them for obvious reasons we switched her.

wAggie
November 4th, 2004, 10:02 AM
I did a search on different brands of dog food, and I found a scale, that rated a bunch of brands. The scale ranged 1-10. 10 being the best. the Nutro brand was a number 7 I believe. I will try to find it, and post it.

what site was that? I would love to check it out!

sujean
November 4th, 2004, 10:06 AM
what site was that? I would love to check it out!

that site is an advertising site for "Life's Abundance Premium Food". Of course they will give that food a 10 (sorry to repeat myself...) the site is listed on lilith_rizel's post

wAggie
November 4th, 2004, 10:12 AM
doh!

guess it helps if I didn't scroll up and down so fast :o

I briefly checked out the site... looks like it's got a great start, but there's PLENTY of other food brands out there, and types w/i the food brands...

ie., Nutrience and Wellness

m_apol
November 4th, 2004, 01:49 PM
my puppy has been on the Nutro Ultra Lamb and Rice and yes, the coat is getting shinier and it's only been a week. She's not as smelly as before too which is a good thing! She also had dry skin and she doesn't scratch that much anymore. I guess this brand really works!

lilith_rizel
November 5th, 2004, 08:14 AM
You know what, I can ask my friend's husband Ralph, if he thinks that Nutro is human grade food. He was eating it on halloween!!! I guess he likes dog food or something. No he's not dumb he is just really funny. He does this stuff to make people laugh. A real comedian, I'd say. :D

sujean
November 6th, 2004, 09:00 PM
lol, i could never get myself to even taste the stuff-although i'm told that many pet owners do eat their pets' food...i don't think this is something you can say "tastes like chicken". but i do wonder, some of the soft food i feed my cats and dog do smell tasty-especially when i am starving myself...

lilith_rizel
November 6th, 2004, 09:06 PM
I tried canned cat food once, on a dare, it doesn't taste horrible, but I wouldn't eat it, unless it was the only thing in the house, and I was starving to death.

glasslass
November 8th, 2004, 06:43 PM
After dishing up Puss-Puss' Fancy Feast into her dish, I was putting leftover meatloaf in a plastic container on the drainboard. I noticed a small piece of "meatloaf" on the drainboard and without thinking popped it into my mouth. Ewwwww! It did smell wonderful but the taste was actually pretty bland! SHE likes it!

maddiva
November 8th, 2004, 10:57 PM
I recently bought the Nutro Ultra for my 2 dogs. They love it!!!! They seem to have less gas etc. There's so many all natural dog foods out there. At this point I think it's all about pricing and your dogs taste buds.

Murfy
March 8th, 2009, 01:26 PM
My dog is a very picky eater. I started her on the Ultra and she is into her third week of eating a combination of the pouch and the kibble. It is not cheap but she seems to enjoy it. It better be a good quality dog food or I will freak. This problem has been going on for 4 years.:dog:

angeldogs
March 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM
My dog is a very picky eater. I started her on the Ultra and she is into her third week of eating a combination of the pouch and the kibble. It is not cheap but she seems to enjoy it. It better be a good quality dog food or I will freak. This problem has been going on for 4 years.:dog:

This thread is from 2004.

Just so you know it's not that great of food and the company as been on the food recall list last year.

Gail P
March 8th, 2009, 06:13 PM
This thread is from 2004.

Just so you know it's not that great of food and the company as been on the food recall list last year.

Many, many foods were on the recall list, and only Nutro's wet foods were affected. I've been feeding Nutro Natural Choice for many years and my dogs do fantastic on it. Great health, beautiful shiny coats, clean & clear eyes and skin and good stools. The formula I have been feeding for a long time is the large breed adult chicken & rice, but the last couple of years I've also been using two of their other Natural Choice formulas, the large breed chicken & rice puppy, and the high energy. Mine aren't just couch potatoes that don't do much either, they're hard-working athletes. They're sled dogs, involved in herding, farm work and other sports as well. With the escalating prices of foods I've thought about trying to find something that would cost me less, but to me it's just not worth it to mess around with their food when they're doing so well with what they're eating now. Just my :2cents: Not all dogs do equally well on all foods, no matter whether they're high/lower quality. For me I've found something that works and I'm sticking with it. :dog:

angeldogs
March 8th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I know alot of companies were on the recall list.a couple of stores around here carry it and only carry enough for the customers that order it.was't the nutro max dry on that recall list.?

Jag was on Nutro Natural and high energy.Price wise theres not much else.
I'm feeding HealthWise which is made by the same company as Innova and i pay $50 and some cents for a 35 pound bag,for the chicken.

I won't pay the big bucks for the high quality.Jag didn't do any better on the regular Innova then he is on the lower end.both large breed foods

Have you found a difference from the regular Nutro large breed to the High Energy?
I didn't real notice a difference in Jag at all.other then the high energy costing more.

Gail P
March 9th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I know alot of companies were on the recall list.a couple of stores around here carry it and only carry enough for the customers that order it.was't the nutro max dry on that recall list.?

Jag was on Nutro Natural and high energy.Price wise theres not much else.
I'm feeding HealthWise which is made by the same company as Innova and i pay $50 and some cents for a 35 pound bag,for the chicken.

I won't pay the big bucks for the high quality.Jag didn't do any better on the regular Innova then he is on the lower end.both large breed foods

Have you found a difference from the regular Nutro large breed to the High Energy?
I didn't real notice a difference in Jag at all.other then the high energy costing more.

To the best of my knowledge none of the Nutro dry formulas were on the list, positively none of the ones I use. I kept checking since it affected so many foods and more were being added to the list all the time.

The high energy formula has higher protein and higher fat to provide the extra energy, maintain body weight under heavier work and help in building/maintaining muscle mass. I've never noticed much difference between the regular large breed adult and the high energy, however I switch over slowly as I increase the dogs workload and if they have several non-working days in a row (eg. can't sled due to weather or something) I'll mix the two feeds together so they're getting an in between amount of protein/fat. The large breed adult is 26% protein and only 12% fat (great for my 2 fatter non-working dogs, and it's got added glucosamine and chondroitin for their joints) and the high energy is 30% protein, 20% fat. Sled dogs generally need a 30/20 diet. I want them to be getting the nutrition needed to maintain their weight and build their muscles without becoming overweight. I'm often adjusting the amounts I feed slightly, based on how they look and feel to touch and how much work they're doing. I do notice a difference in my yearling Flurry. He's such a big gangly dog that I keep him strictly on the high energy or he can become a little too lean. I haven't pushed him too hard yet in his training but he's a hard-working dog and always on the move when we're out doing chores. If I think he might be carrying a couple of extra pounds and drop his feed a little, or mix it he will quickly loose those pounds and then start looking a little too thin so for now he's eating all high energy all the time. Likely as he matures more and isn't sledding over the summer I will also be able to switch him back over to the regular adult maintenance food. Right now they're all in great shape, well conditioned from the winter season, nice and muscled with no flab. I started doing dryland runs with them in late summer/early fall as the temperatures permitted and then they've been training and racing all winter. As we loose the snow we'll be back to dryland training and back into the sheep herding as well.

If you're interested in other high energy foods Nutram also makes a 30/20 "active dog" formula. I've fed it as well after winning some at one of the races last year. Nutram is made by Maple Lodge Farms and is supposed to be all human grade ingredients. Other high energy type feeds of at least 30/20 are made by Redpaw, Eagle Pack, Annamaet, Dr. Tim's Momentum and Pursuit, Blackwood 2000 and there are others. There are lots of discussions about the high energy diets in the food/feeding forums on a sled dog site called http://www.sleddogcentral.com From the main site you can link to SDC Talk, which is the forum. Most people who are putting a lot of miles on their dogs are also supplementing their kibble diets with meat, even if they feed a high-end premium feed.

angeldogs
March 9th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Jag is doing well on the HealthWise and so is Ginger,i have a kids wooden wagon that i found at the side of the road and the only thing wrong with it was the centre board.replaced it now trying to fiqure out how to convert the handle so Jag can pull it.I was going to feed the Nutram but was to the one i'm feeding is comparable with a better price.

Added the link to my favorites thanks.

Gail P
March 9th, 2009, 08:29 AM
i have a kids wooden wagon that i found at the side of the road and the only thing wrong with it was the centre board.replaced it now trying to fiqure out how to convert the handle so Jag can pull it.

Maybe you could remove the handle and replace it with shafts and then use a carting style harness.

angeldogs
March 9th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Maybe you could remove the handle and replace it with shafts and then use a carting style harness.
I could see about trying that. i do have a harness that has 3 D rings.got it off a site that sells stuff for police and service dogs.it can be used for walking/tracking and carting.so it's just converting the wagon.

geisha
March 13th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I have 2 active female samoyeds that have great appetites. The younger refused to eat Nutro Adult Lamb Meal and Rice and the senior did very poorly on the Senior Rice & Lamb Formula.
The Natural Choice contains: Lamb, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Whole Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Potato Protein, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Rice Protein Concentrate, Natural Flavors, Pea Protein, Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium etc.

Nutro splits the grains so there is actually less protein and alot more grains in the kibble. The Lamb that is first is actually lamb before the 80% moisture is removed and would be further down the ingredient list after baking.

The Senior formula made my dog loose her fur in large clumps as well as decrease her energy. I immediately started both dogs on a better quality food and watched their appetites, energy levels and coats improve immensely.
There are much better quality foods out there. Kirkland Lamb Meal and Rice is an inexpensive food that is ingredient wise better for your dog!!! JMHO

Gail P
March 13th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I have 2 active female samoyeds that have great appetites. The younger refused to eat Nutro Adult Lamb Meal and Rice and the senior did very poorly on the Senior Rice & Lamb Formula.
The Natural Choice contains: Lamb, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Whole Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Potato Protein, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Rice Protein Concentrate, Natural Flavors, Pea Protein, Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium etc.

Nutro splits the grains so there is actually less protein and alot more grains in the kibble. The Lamb that is first is actually lamb before the 80% moisture is removed and would be further down the ingredient list after baking.

The Senior formula made my dog loose her fur in large clumps as well as decrease her energy. I immediately started both dogs on a better quality food and watched their appetites, energy levels and coats improve immensely.
There are much better quality foods out there. Kirkland Lamb Meal and Rice is an inexpensive food that is ingredient wise better for your dog!!! JMHO

That's unfortunate that you had a bad experience with it. Did you contact the company? They have a money-back guarantee that their products will improve skin and coat quality and my 8 dogs all have beautiful shiny luxurious coats that I just love to run my hands through. Friends of ours have an old newfoundland dog that has struggled his whole life with skin and coat problems and he's been to multiple vets and on many different brands of food. They put him on the Nutro lamb and rice and were really pleased with his improvement. He kept eating that for quite a while but then the cost of lamb was going up so high that the store where we all buy our food stopped carrying the lamb formula so they had to switch him to something else. Mine all eat chicken formulas and I just checked the labels. They list chicken meal as their first ingredient, the high energy also has lamb meal further down in the list. They don't have as many forms of rice as the ingredients you listed. You called the senior formula "rice and lamb", not "lamb and rice". Is that actually what it's called or just the way you happened to write it? If it's "rice and lamb" that might explain why it has so much rice in it? I have heard good things about the Kirkland foods too. If I had to switch foods for some reason Kirkland would definitely be a brand I'd consider. But, since my guys are doing so well on what they're eating now I'm sticking with it. Everyone has to do what works best for their dogs.

geisha
March 14th, 2009, 12:53 PM
They no longer carry the senior Rice & Lamb Meal Formula and yes rice and more rice was the first ingredient.
I donated the food to a rescue organization the bags were a little over 3/4 full.
The ingredient list for the Lamb & Rice was copied and pasted from the Nutro Natural Choice website.
If your dogs are doing fine on the food great. Unfortunately my pups didnot and I have chosen another brand.

geisha
March 14th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Here are the ingredients for Chicken Rice & Oatmeal and this is copied from Nutro website:
Chicken, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Chicken Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved etc.

Chicken is exclusive of water and once that is factored in then that protein would be further down the ingredient list. The main ingredient is in fact rice, ground rice, rice flour, and rice bran. Rice Rice and more rice.

Cheers,
Geisha

rainbow
March 14th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I agree with geisha .....way too much grain (rice) in there. It also has menadione (synthetic Vitamin K) as an ingredient which is banned for human consumption and believed to cause cancer. :eek:

It was also bought out by Mars Petcare last year and they also manufacture most of the crappy grocery store brands. :rolleyes:

Gail P
March 14th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Guess my guys do well on rice ;). Though I feed different formulas than the one posted above, both of which list chicken meal as their first ingredient, not chicken, and have one less form of rice. Here's a partial list of ingredients of the ones I feed:

Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Rice Bran, Rice Flour, Chicken, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Natural Flavors, Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E)...

Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Rice Bran, Rice Flour, Natural Flavors, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E)...

Not everybody's going to agree on what to feed and of course not all dogs do equally as well on the same foods. I just look at how fit, healthy and energetic mine are and I'm happy with what they're eating. As for grains in the diet, I do know some dogs are very intolerant of them. Mine on the other hand love to eat the chicken feed when we're doing chores and the horse feed too if they can get it :rolleyes: Both contain cracked corn, oats etc. If they eat too much chicken feed I will find whole grains in their poop! :o Never seems to bother them though.

rainbow
March 15th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Here are some websites listing the various complaints about Nutro dog food ....

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/04/pet_food_recalls93.html

http://labradoodles.wordpress.com/2008/04/23/consumer-affairs-report-on-nutro-dog-food/

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/bulletins_read/196502.html

http://fortheloveofthedogblog.com/news-updates/recalls/warning-nutro-making-dogs-sick

rainbow
March 15th, 2009, 05:56 PM
This is what the dogaware (http://www.dogaware.com/recall.html) website has to say:

Nutro Products Contaminated?

There have been recurrent complaints over the last couple of years from people claiming that Nutro products made their pets sick. These foods have not been recalled and there are no reports of contaminants being found. I've been reluctant to include this warning without any confirmation, but the name keeps coming up.

Here are the latest reports, as of June, 2008:
String of Illnesses Afflicts NUTRO-Fed Pets (this site is the source of most of the rumors, but note this is an attorney site that solicits people for class-action lawsuits, and they also list a number of other foods that they have received complaints about).
Discussion of Nutro / Natural Choice Dog Food Products
Do any forum readers PERSONALLY have problems with Nutro Food??

Reports from 2007:
Pet Owners Blame Nutro Products for their Dogs' Illnesses (from the same ConsumerAffairs.com site)
Itchmo's Voluntary Dry Food Reports
Nutro Dry Products blamed by Pet Owners for Illnesses

I contacted Mr. Boivin at the FDA in March, 2007, who denied that there were any problems with any dry foods at that time. When I contacted him again on after dry foods began to be recalled, he did not respond.

In August, it was learned that the FDA blocked more than 100 Nutro products from entering the country in July, due to "poisonous substances and unsafe additives," but Nutro says these were simply recalled foods being returned from overseas. See FDA Blocks Nutro Pet Food Shipment from Entering U.S. for more information. Also see the actual Refusal Actions from the FDA. Nutro has not been very responsive to those who have inquired, but you can read their statement saying that these were recalled products being returned from overseas on Itchmo: Nutro Responds To FDA Blocking Their Cat And Dog Food Products In July

Few of the people who are reporting problems with Nutro foods have had any testing done on the food. Many don't even mention taking their dogs to the vet, which makes it hard to rely on their stories. However, over and over again, one thing that is repeated is that Nutro has not been helpful, has denied problems, has not tested the food themselves, and in general has not behaved responsibly. I don't know whether there really is any problem with Nutro foods, but until the question is answered satisfactorily, it may be safer to avoid them for now.

If you think your pets have been harmed by eating Nutro foods, you should have your vet report the illness to the FDA consumer complaint coordinator for your state, or do so yourself. The more information you can provide, including lot numbers and food samples, along with veterinary reports, the more likely the FDA is to take this seriously and be able to track down the problem.