Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

playdough

lilith_rizel
October 22nd, 2004, 02:48 PM
Does anyone have a recipe for the kind of playdogh that DOES harden, I know there are some recipes that you can make it so it stays soft.

melanie
October 22nd, 2004, 05:53 PM
overt he years i have looked after so many ppls kids, big small, related and not. i have even doen a stint in a child care center (ran fast though) so playdough is my saviour, if a child shows up with no toys, its not a drama as i just whip up some of this, it is non toxic, edible, cheap to make so you can make lot of diff colors. but remember to store well or it will just dry out, i wrap the dough in glad wrap (plastic film stuff) and then put it in a air tight container or else yes it does harden. the recepie can be found on the back of the macenzies brand cream of tartar box, it is

PLAYDOUGH

2 cups flour (plain prefered but any is fine)
4 tablespoons of cream of tartar
2 tablespoons of cooking oil
1 cup of salt
food coloring
2 cups of water

mix all the ingredients in a saucepan, in any order, stir continuously over heat for 3-5 mins till the mix congeals, take of the heat and mix till smooth, just take it off the heat when it has playdough consistancy, easy as that ,but at no stage stop stiring or it gets realy messy.

have fun, make lotso f colrs its such a handy thing to have around :crazy:

lilith_rizel
October 23rd, 2004, 05:35 PM
It will be handy, the boy I watched last night is only 5, and he enjoyed making hahndprint decorations, out of it, for his parents last night. I will have to write that recipe down later tonight, when I have pen and paper.
Thanks.