Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Home delivery???

lilith_rizel
October 22nd, 2004, 02:37 PM
My husband and I are thinking about having our baby at home. We have put some thought into it, and we really don't trust the hospital that they have here, they seem too unprofessional, and wouldn't let me or my husband know why it took them so long to do my last ultrasound, PLUS they couldn't find the baby's legs, yet, she was kicking the entire time.

So we would like to know it anyone has ever delivered one of their baby's at home, and how everything went.

Writing4Fun
October 22nd, 2004, 02:45 PM
Sorry, Lilith, can't help you there. Both of my boys were c-sections, and our hospital is really excellent - especially in the obstetrics area. But, a fellow who works with my husband delivered all 4 of his children himself. :eek: The first was an accident - the baby was apparently in an all-fired hurry. :D After the first experience, though, he was so moved that he decided to deliver all of his own children after that. They have a mid-wife attending, of course.

lilith_rizel
October 22nd, 2004, 02:50 PM
My husband and I just can't trust doctors, if they can't find the legs of a baby, on the second ultrasound. We just want to make sure we make the right choice.

jackieb
October 22nd, 2004, 02:50 PM
I have delivered my 3rd baby at home not intentionally, well i always wanted a home birth. It was quite common in england had a few friends who did it speak to your midwife ( if you have one) or doctor there are normally associations for home births and if you have private health it might cover the costs. Water births at home are popular speak to your dr or health clinic do some reasearch into it im like you i have no faith in hospitals but thats from bad expiereinces. However after having my 3rd baby at home due to the circumstances we had to go to hospital were he was put under the heated lamp so this is something to think of as hospitals do have the resorces and you dont have to sty long but think about it and talk it over with people.
good to be prepared

lilith_rizel
October 22nd, 2004, 02:53 PM
There is a hospital not even 10 minutes from here, we made sure of that. The one that I would HAVE to deliver at is a good 40 minutes away, plus there will be winter traffic!

jackieb
October 22nd, 2004, 03:07 PM
Not saying its a bad thing just saying good to cover all options my hospital when i was pregant with my 2nd was 30 mins no winter conditions though.

Ask your dr or midwife for details

I had no problems with my unexpected home delivery wasnt how i planned and as i said the baby and i had to go to hospital i had to be sorted out and so did the baby this is just worth considering. My 2nd had to be in hospital due to complications with my 1st delivery.

but you should be fine just worth knowing hospitals have everything you and baby need medically

squarejane
October 22nd, 2004, 03:31 PM
i had my daughter at home with the assistance of midwives. i wanted to have a water birth, a standard option in many countries but unavailable as an option in canadian hospitals... so we chose the home-birth.

it was amazing! very relaxing and peaceful. no constant pelvics and no episiotomy, no monitoring through implanted scalp (baby) and just an all-round lovely experience. all told, it took 9 hrs and i got to climb into MY bed with toast and honey, tea and my new little gal! i wouldn't trade the experience for the world.

if you have any questions that you want to ask me regarding planned home delivery, feel free to email me and i'll help in any way i can. :)

CyberKitten
October 22nd, 2004, 03:32 PM
Where do you live that you don't trust the hospital?

Are there other municipalities nearby? (that your obgyn has priv. in). Home birth is fine for regular births but if you have any chronic health condions or other probs, you would be best to have the baby in a hospital setting. Most hospitals have seetings that are pretty close to the home setting now anyway though (at least where I live in the Maritimes) and you can have family members with you.

Are there any other indicators beside the ultrasound? It could be the ultrasound technicion if that is the only issue. Have you discussed it with your GP or you obgyn? Or someone else at the hospital? All hospitals ow have a Patient Services rep so have you talked to them?

jackieb
October 22nd, 2004, 03:44 PM
Yes the home birth is a great idea just got to think about things though.
With my first baby i had him in hospital thank god because i spent hours in surgeryy after giving birth also had alot of bleeding.

My 2nd i need to have in hospital cause of the complications with the first and the 3rd was born at home but needed medical attention and so did i.

I do think that home delivery is great but also think that there are some things such as medical equipment and surgeons that you can only get in hospitals thats all im not a big fan of hospital but ive dealt with english hospitals which are unclean and severaly underfunded.

All the best and hope you get information you require

lilith_rizel
October 22nd, 2004, 03:56 PM
Cyberkitten,
We live in Maryland, USA. My husband is in the military, so it is a military hospital that we would have to deliver at. Most of the doctors there have had only 6 months of medical school :eek:, because all of them work in the military. Most of them are also no older than their early 20's. My dad is only a radiologist, and he had to have 4+ years of medical school. We just can't trust someone who hasn't been in medical school only 6 months, to deliver our little girl. It is scary thinking that people put their lives into hand os others with that little education.

lilith_rizel
October 22nd, 2004, 04:00 PM
Also, our friend had delivered their child not that long ago there, the father said that The had screwed up on the epidural, and only her left side was done. So they had to do a second one. They were also really pushy about the epidural and birth control, and basically gave her no choice in what she wanted to do.

lilith_rizel
October 22nd, 2004, 04:02 PM
We are going into Tri-care to see if they would cover the home delivery or atleast switch us to a civilian hospital, where we know the doctors have a PHD

CyberKitten
October 22nd, 2004, 04:55 PM
I have to admit I've heard a few less than great stories about the military HMO in the US if I can call it that. Can you go elsehwhere (a home community for ex)?

Most docs do not have Phd's unless they do research. They do a four year degree and finish with an MD and then do 2-4 years for a specialty. Family Medicine is sometimes only two years, most others four. Then they can also do residencies in another area. But most will do a PhD if they are in research. There is a great MD-PhD progam at Harvard.

Have you talked to other new moms who've had experience at the base? What were their experiences like?

Is there a midwife program in Maryland that certifies nurses to do midwifry? So you could have one attend you at home? And is this a prgenancy that is progressing normally? All things to consider?