Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question for dog owners - wiping feet - couches

Sneaky2006
October 22nd, 2004, 02:31 AM
We were looking into getting a dog, we have decided to wait for now, but it could happen anytime, I suppose.
I was wondering about dogs on the furniture...
We have cats, and they may not like each other and I know a lot of training would have to go into it, but should the furniture be just for the cats? Their space to sleep, away from the dog?
I see all these pics on here with the dogs snuggling up with you guys, on couches, chairs, and beds.
And even if the cats were not an issue, aren't the dogs paws messy from being outside? Especially when it rains.... or are you guys constantly wiping their paws after each potty break?
I know (for a fact) that hubby would want the dog to sleep with us, and be able to be on the couch too... how would we do that without me going insane about the dirty feet? Even if it's not raining, they've got to be dirty, right? I mean, I don't even let the humans put their feet (with shoes) on the furniture and if they do... man is there trouble! lol :crazy:

ruby's mom
October 22nd, 2004, 09:54 AM
Yup!! I wipe paws off after every outside trip. Takes longer when they are wet and muddy. If it's REALLY muddy out, Ruby wears boots! Ruby's likes to sleep on my bed during the day, so I put HER blanket on my bed so I can remove it before I go to bed and have a fairly hair free/clean bed. She loves her cats, so it's hard not to let her snuggle with them on the couch, bed or whatever. A small dog with short hair may be easier to keep paws clean :)

TalonsMa
October 22nd, 2004, 10:09 AM
Hi, we have two cats and a new pup (16 wks)...we do not allow the pup to sleep with us, she sleeps in her crate, and she is not allowed on the couches either. We feel the couches are for the cats, they've lost some freedom, and we are trying to keep certain things constant with them. Maybe later on when they all get along we'll let the dog on the couch, but I doubt it ;)
Now that we have snow, we do wipe her feet after every potty break :)

sammiec
October 22nd, 2004, 10:14 AM
We wipe after being outside. From day one Briggs was trained to stop on the mat and sit when we come in the door. Then she gets her paws wiped and off she goes.
It's a bit aggrevating sometimes trying to share a couch,chair or bed with but it's soooo worth it when you're cuddling! :p

GsdDiamond
October 22nd, 2004, 10:23 AM
We've also wiped Diamond's feet since day one. She now waits on the back landing for this to be done. Sometimes she tries to sneak by, but most often she waits.

As for letting her up on the couch...nope. The dominant animals of the house (we people) always have the choiciest places to sit/lay down. She's not allowed up (fully anyways) on the furniture or beds. I really don't need a 100 lb dog thinking I'm in HER spot. I don't think smaller dogs are so much of a problem but I could be wrong.

Lucky Rescue
October 22nd, 2004, 10:27 AM
My last dog never got on the furniture and that was the domain of the cats.

My present dog does get on the furniture, and yes she has ruined one sofa.:(
Dogs like to dig a "nest" and will do this on the bed or sofa as well. The cats also have their own sofa, which the dog does not get on. I have no place to sit anymore. :D
I do not allow cats or dog to sleep with me, and I have a baby gate for my guest room, to keep Chloe off THAT bed.

I have no carpets so don't worry about muddy paws, but if you have carpets you will have to wipe the dog's feet after walks in rain or snow. My last dog had a very dense, long collie/chow type coat and that was a real pain! Short haired dogs are definitely a breeze to keep clean and/or bathe!

You can certainly teach a dog to sleep it's own comfy bed on the floor and to stay off sofas, beds, etc.

Writing4Fun
October 22nd, 2004, 10:56 AM
Murphy was allowed up on the furniture. BIG mistake! Her Lab-type fur wove its way into the fabric of everything we own - furniture, area rugs, clothing. I didn't mind it, but guests always avoided my sofas like the plague. :p She passed away 2 years ago, and some of it is still in the sofas!!

Phoebe is not allowed on furniture, beds included. That was a bit of a struggle with hubby when we first brought her home ("but look at that face!!"). Now that she's bigger, he sees my point! She has her own extra-large bed from Costco, as well as several blankets in her crate (which is only used when we're not home). I've also taught her from puppyhood to stop at the back door on her way in. Ok, so maybe she doesn't exactly "stop" :o , but she does slow down enough for me to get a good look at her paws. If they're muddy (she's a bit of a digger), all I have to do is put my hand in front of her nose and she knows to come full stop for a wipe-down. ;)

Stewart
October 22nd, 2004, 12:28 PM
My GSD is always wiped clean on return to the house if shes wet or muddy we keep a supply of old towels out in the garage just for this reason ,She only ever enters the house through our front door if shes dry cause the hall way is carpeted as for furniture we have a leather suite in the longe and no way is she allowed on there she knows ;) she does come into the bedroom if we call her and will jump on the bed if offerd but she dosent stay prefers her own bed downstairs and besides she is a real figit and makes wierd noises when sleeping so I wouldnt wish for her sleeping with us she has once or twice slept on the bedroom floor.We also have two cats,They do get on the furniture and like to lie on the cushions but as its leather and they have claws we only allow them in there when we are in there,They do sometimes sleep on the bed usually in the winter as most of the year they are out during the night its thier time of day lol ! ;) Its taken time and perseverance but all three of our four legged pals fit in fine :thumbs up

lilith_rizel
October 22nd, 2004, 12:43 PM
The only time we wip our dog's feet is when it has been raining. The area of his outside, is small and either grassy, or it is is a cemented patio, so his feet don't get dirty all that much. He is allowed in the furniture, but rarely goes on it unless he is invited. However, when he does go on by himself, it is usually to get out of the way of the vacuum, or when he wants to bug us while napping. He's a big goof.

Sneaky2006
October 22nd, 2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks everyone!
I still think sofas would be for the kitties, but maybe we could train it to only come up when invited, and as for the bed.... the cats can't sleep with us (I can't breathe too well sleeping beside them) so that wouldn't be a problem. I do think that the cats would think it wasn't fair. :p So I don't know what we'd do about that yet.
And it looks like we'd be paw wipers, we do have carpets, and also some invites on the couch, so it seems like a must.
Thanks again! :D

melanie
October 22nd, 2004, 05:31 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :D now i think that would be blatant discrimination, poor puppies, they need somewhere lovely to stick their butts too you know. :D

we were give a beautiful italian lounge, and charlie loves the seat right on the end near the door, so what if i have to wipe the dog hair off occassionally, its not hard and takes secound. but charlie has always had her own couch, she used to have her own couch instead of a bed, now she has several beds, a couch, lots of pillows for her head, occassionally my bed (dont tell hubby :p not supposed to but she slept with me in my bed for 3 years before we met him) and she can sleep any where she darn well pleases just as long as she is comfortable. but she does not chew thigns and would never ruin the furniture, she did her fair shar of taht as a pup and is a good girl about those things now and is totally trustworthy, she even has teddies but would never chew em, jsut loves them.

but she also knows not to scratch furniture, she just sits or sleeps on it, so that might be a drama with a puppy if you have nice furniture, we didnt when she was a pup so i didnt care much.

i have mums pup with me at the mo, he is getting locked in my beedroom and that end of the house away from the good furniture at night with me (he can roam and get to me if he wants though jsut not into lounge room) im a little paranoid about he lounge with him when he is alone, so that is always a consideration with any dog, but yes, if cats can sit on the furniture why cnat lovely dog bums :crazy: :love:

dmc123
October 22nd, 2004, 06:28 PM
All of mine share all the furniture....not saying you should, or that I will as new ones come into my world. I think I will be tougher on the next ones. I can't see buying a new couch, as bad as I need one, just keep it covered up with slipcovers that can be washed as needed.

As for wiping dirty feet, yep...but only when rainy or snowy...and like several other posters said, my dogs wait and expect it before running on into the other rooms :) routine for them. Rudy even knows which foot goes first and raises it for me, no kidding. On really bad weather days, we keep towels on the couch where they normally go, just in case we didn't get all the dirty stuff.

As for who should "get to" get on the couch...my opinion is...that is completely up to you and hubby. (hopefully you will agree on this or it will never work, LOL). As for the cats wanting a special separate place, mine love to lay by the dogs :) on the couch or the bed.

Best of luck to ya...

~~dmc

Sneaky2006
October 25th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the replies!
Mel, I don't think the cat butts are better than the dogs would be :D ... but I was just thinking that the cats (never being around a dog before) would appreciate the fact that they can still sleep and snuggle on the couch where the dog wouldn't be.
And also... growing up with dogs, we always had them at our feet, keepin them warm... but then again I like the fact of snuggling up to something on the couch that you wouldn't crush so easily (cats).
I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens... who knows, maybe my cats will love a dog? Yeah... :p

Bearsmom
October 25th, 2004, 07:18 PM
We started with no furniture/beds with Bear right from the time he was a baby. We knew he was going to be huge, and there was no way I was sharing a bed with a 164lb dog and a 6'6" 240 lb husband....for pete's sake, I would have had to move to the floor!

Anyways, my mom made a special pillow for Bear, it's filled with cedar shavings, and it's HIS pillow. He's used it forever.

glasslass
October 26th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Den-Den's paws are shaved clean, as well as the base of his tail. His area outside is grassy. His paws may be wet when he comes in, but not muddy. And he knows when he has a problem with a "cling-on" under his tail. He hangs his head and looks so ashamed! See? There are practical reasons for a good poodle cut! (But NOT those horrible cuts in the dog ring!) When the grass is wet and cold, Den-Den walks the balance beam along the mowing strip! :D

Dwight Byrd
October 26th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Buddy has his own couch in the den. We keep a blanket on it, but that is where he sleeps most nights. We are getting new leather couch, and that will be off limits. But we don't feel bad, because we know that he already has his own couch to sleep on in the den ... and ofcourse he knows it too.