Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please Help Me! Can They Do This To Me?!!!

pitbulliest
October 21st, 2004, 08:24 PM
As some of you may have read, my application for a new apartment I want to rent has been rejected solely on the fact that I own a pit bull terrier. The building which I am interested in DOES allow dogs...and I've never seen anything specific written about pit bulls in the application or anything...

With that being said, CAN the management of the building do that to me? Can they reject me ONLY because of the type of dog I have? That's not fair and I want to know whether there is anything I can do about this. I really wanted to move into this apartment building..its very nice and a good rental price...

Do you guys have any suggestions? I don't just want to give up like that. I sent him some information, telling him I have a STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER...he still said they're considered vicious dogs and he doesn't want any trouble in his building so he can't accept my application.

What can I do? Please help me you guys.. I'm quite desperate for this building..

What if I called him back and told him I got rid of my dog..and then if he allowed me to move in I would just bring my dog in and tell him that the people I gave it too couldn't have it for whatever reason..could he kick me out? What do I do guys? PLEASE PLEASE help me out :(

Lucky Rescue
October 21st, 2004, 08:34 PM
Unless the written lease specifically prohibits dogs of certain breeds or sizes, he cannot tell you you can't have one.

If you sign a lease that prohibits these dogs, and are found out, yes you can be kicked out.

Instead of saying right off the bat what kind of dog you have, you might want to just ask if pets are allowed and if there is any size limit.

pitbulliest
October 21st, 2004, 08:59 PM
well I see pets coming in and out of that building all the time..so obviously they are allowed..and some of them are actually quite large.. ex: an Irish Setter.

So if I do move in and my dog is with me, they can't do anything right? So I can just tell them that I got rid of my dog...and then once I move in...too bad for them basically?

Spurby
October 21st, 2004, 09:03 PM
They are breaking the law here in Ontario, we are allowed to own pets in rental apartments, no matter the breed(some condos have weight restrictions though). Of course, i have felt the same discrimination as you have looking to rent a house, which is much harder!

Call the media!! Let them know just what is going on here!! They are starting to show the "other" side of things, this type of crap we are facing every day needs to be heard!

pitbulliest
October 21st, 2004, 09:06 PM
Who can I contact? If you guys give me some numbers or emails, I will definately be contacting some people..but in the meantime, I don't know what to do....someone just gave me this information:

A landlord may evict a tenant for keeping an animal if it:

caused undue damage,
caused a serious allergic reaction in another person or the landlord,
interfered with the normal enjoyment of the property by another tenant or the landlord, for example, causing undue noise,
acted aggressively to others thus affecting their safety, or
is a species or breed of animal that is inherently dangerous

http://www.orht.gov.on.ca/userfiles/HTML/nts_3_7968_1.html

According to this info, I guess landlords CAN discriminate people based on the breed of dog they have..this is unfair..I'm sure there is something I can do about this..my dog has never touched anybody, and you know what? Nobody could prove she's a pit bull if it came right down to it!

doggy lover
October 21st, 2004, 09:07 PM
I live in Scarb. Ont in a co-op and they do not allow pitbulls. I think there are some other breeds that are not allowed also but I know pitbulls for sure. They asked me if I owned one before I signed the lease.

lil_kirk
October 21st, 2004, 09:24 PM
I'm in Ontario as well and in our lease there is a notation regarding dogs saying that you are permitted two pets---however if the pet is deemed as a threat to others in the building it will not be permitted. Perhaps this is what is in the lease of that building and since the PBT have had a lot of media attention the management feel it is a 'threat'???

I don't know for sure---but it's a thought. Could you get a copy of the lease to look at? question them about this sort of inclusion in the lease...if they have it then you may be out of luck...and in need of a new place to live.

Sorry about the news...

Sheriffmom
October 22nd, 2004, 12:08 AM
Try the housing Help Tribunal. They are listed in the Blue pages. It also might be under "Landlord/Tennant" They would certainly be able to give you the laws. :) Goodluck!!

krdahmer
October 22nd, 2004, 01:20 AM
No, no they can't. I spent a few hours at the Housing place last year trying to get something done about my landlord allowing people who smoked to move in below us (I have asthma and a severe allergy to cig's and was assured it was a non-smoking house). Basically I was told that once a person has signed a lease and pays their rent on time, etc, you are free to do as you choose as it is your abode. As far as I know they also cannot add a clause to your lease in regards to pets OR smoking. The only way they can reject or evict you for having a pet is if that pet repeatedly breaks noise by-laws and is reported, or is causing damage to the property. So, get some info in writing from the Houseing Authority and slap it in front of these landlords! :thumbs up

Iggette
October 22nd, 2004, 03:40 AM
IMHO.....I would look for a new place.....No point in trying to get in now, they will just find another reason to reject your application :( because they already know you have a pitbull. You could try to say that you got rid of it like you say, but why live where you know before hand that you will not be welcome?

Mysts38
October 22nd, 2004, 09:56 AM
Unfortunatly,the management can decide not to rent you a place due to the breed of your dog...Its under their own discretion,what animals are brought into the complex.If they feel that an animal is deemed vicious or has the potential for violence,then they feel a duty and responsibilty to protect their other tenents,and they can reject the application based on that.

They are essentially covering their butts.If anything were to happen with your dog or any other dog,then the tenants have the right to sue for negligence.Even though it was advertise that pets are welcome,,again its with the discretion of the management

Luvmypit
October 22nd, 2004, 12:29 PM
As far as I know no landlord can deny animals at all. Look at your local tenant act. They can say no animals but by law they can't say no to you regardless of the breed. You have the right to secure a home anywhere

sammiec
October 22nd, 2004, 12:36 PM
There are always ways for Landlords to get around this BS. I'd say your chances for this one are now slim to none... sorry. Landlords legally cannot say that because you have a dog that you cannot rent that unit, they can just dismiss your application stating that you didn't suit what they were looking for.
For that reason I am going no where until we buy...there's just too much headache....
Good luck with your hunt, but try not to mention your dog, just ask if they allow pets.
If you're having more trouble, talk to someone about the Landlord Tenant Act - I think you can every locate it on the internet somewhere.

LL1
October 22nd, 2004, 12:38 PM
I would look somewhere else. They don't want your dog and could make your life miserable and end up evicting you for complaints. You don't need the aggravation.

tyr
October 22nd, 2004, 03:45 PM
*is a species or breed of animal that is inherently dangerous*

This is actually quite new to the Landlord/Tennant Act. Did you try calling the Tribunal? (For more information about your rights and obligations, you can contact the Tribunal at 416-645-8080 or toll-free 1-888-332- 3234).

As well, in that link that you posted it had a place where you can order a copy of the Act. (call 416-326-5300 or toll-free at1-800-668-9938 or, or you can purchase a copy on line at: www.publications.gov.on.ca). It might be a good thing to have a copy of for future reference.

As for this apartment, as others have said it could be a lost cause now. In the future I would avoid saying your dog is a Pit Bull. I would choose another breed that is not associated with PB but looks similar - they will never know the difference! If you do not want to give up maybe you could ask your landlord if they would just meet your PB and decide based on his personality. They will see that he is harmless and it may help your chance a bit. You may also want to mention that you have a Chi - if your PB was vicious he would not be able to live hramoniously with a dog smaller than a cat!

I have a friend who is a Landlord and she said that a landlord cannot evict you once you have been accepted as a tennant for having an animal (even if they do not allow pets). Once you have been accepted they can do nothing about it because this is now considered a companion by the law. The only reasons they can evict you based on your animal is if you break the noise By-Law, disturb the peaceful living of other tennants or cause odors in the apartment by your pet(s). Even then, you can fight it and they have to provide enough proof for them to do this.

Food for thought when you apply for your next residence.

Hope things work out and that this was of any help at all.

Keep me posted!

Mistruzzi
October 22nd, 2004, 05:29 PM
They can't reject you because you have a pit bull! I'm not sure where you live, because I only skimmed through these posts, but if you live in Ontario, then you call the ONTARIO RENTAL HOUSING TRIBUNAL TENANT PROTECTION ACT 1-888-332-3234, whether you decide to take the place or not I would still make a complaint against them!

mastifflover
October 22nd, 2004, 05:39 PM
If you are in Ontario I have learned the hard way I never say I have a dog. Once you sign the lease to bad for them unless your dog causes damage or excessive noise or is threatening and that does not mean because of the breed. They can't kick you out but I would get moving before MB gets this ban in place. If it does in fact make it

lil_kirk
October 22nd, 2004, 06:01 PM
Actually a landlord can put whatever he or she wants in a lease with respect to smoking and pets. Our lease---the same lease signed by thousands of people in this city (the management own about 25 apt buildings) has a clause regarding animals viewed as a threat---if PBT get legislated against than they would likely try to avoid renting to any more ppl with PBT since as far as Ontario laws are concerned they are a threat....(im not saying I agree or disagree---this is just the clause of our lease).

Perhaps you wouldnt want to live in this building anyways if they are already discriminating against you because of your dog....I certainly wouldn't want to move somewhere that I'd had too much trouble with even before I moved in...it could only lead to further trouble once you're in there.

moontamara
October 22nd, 2004, 07:04 PM
Have you tried meeting with the person handling the applications? Maybe they are mostly interested in keeping out the kind of person who would normally own a pitbull... If you go there (looking as wholesome as possible which doesn't seem hard after seeing your photo) with pictures of people interracting with your dog, perhaps they will allow you in... You may need to agree not to mention the breed of your dog to other tenants.

Honestly, I don't blame them for not wanting pitbulls in general -- but I do hope that they give you and your sweet pooch a chance.

krdahmer
October 23rd, 2004, 09:26 AM
Actually a landlord can put whatever he or she wants in a lease with respect to smoking and pets. .

Legally....NOT true here in Ontario. The landlords add those clauses hoping that you do not understand your rights as a tenant under the Landlord and Tenant Act, and will think that by signing you are not allowed to smoke or own pets... both of which they are powerless to evict you for unless said smoking or pet is causing damage to the residence. Call them, find out yourself, that's what I did.

LL1
October 23rd, 2004, 09:51 AM
The noise complaints are what I was referring to. You can and will get evicted for that.

melanie
October 23rd, 2004, 06:47 PM
dont lie about the dog, dont say you gave it away and had to take it back, i tried that once, ha i was evicted with two weeks to move and it was terrible, finding another house in two weeks plus cash and everythign else on top, it wil just cause you more greif.

i agree with above, tell them you have a staffie cross, go on, no one will know the difference.

and forget that apt, you dotn wnat to give them your hard earned $$$ anyway, they really stink and are breedists.