Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kid activities?

lilith_rizel
October 21st, 2004, 02:36 PM
Ok, I have just found out that I have a baby-sitting job tomorrow evening(Friday). I am watching the children for the first time. They are 1 year and 6 years old. I am the type of sitter who likes to engage the kids into crafts and activities, instead of watching television. I normally watch chilren between the ages of 1 and 4, so i don't know what I could bring along for crafts, that will keep Grant, the 6 year old, occupied, and not be boring for him. Any suggestions? I have paper plates, construction paper, glue, sissors, crayons, markers, coffee filters, and rice, that I still have in my activity back pack. What do children of his age enjoy making?

jackieb
October 21st, 2004, 02:50 PM
Ciaran is four and a half and enjoys crafts playdoo etc perhaps do something on a halloween theme kids here seem really into it.

Oh how i wish you lived near me i would love a good babysitter cant seem to wont to let mine be baby sat by anyone.

glasslass
October 21st, 2004, 03:17 PM
When I was a teenage babysitter, I used to get permission from parents to bake. We spent hours making cookies and the kids loved it.

Sneaky2006
October 21st, 2004, 04:54 PM
Right on Glass, my son is 8 and loves making cookies with me!

My mom is searching for her gingerbread men recipe so we can make them and decorate them with icing... I can't wait, umm, he can't either!

He still loves play-doh, and really any kind of crafts, uncooked pasta works great for some things, like hair and such.
If I think of anything else, I'll let ya know.

lilith_rizel
October 21st, 2004, 07:55 PM
I spent an hour or so looking for activities, on the web tonight. I found some really cute ones. There was one where you paint the child's foot, and they step on a piece of paper. Then you turn the foot upside down, draw 2 dots on the heel, and it turns out to be a ghost. Another one I found was where you make a jacl-o-lantern out of a milk jug.
I am still up for any suggestions. The mother of the children, wants to have me as a part time nanny, so I may have to watch them atleast once a week or so.
Is there any thing fun, but educational that I can have him do?

Sneaky2006
October 21st, 2004, 08:04 PM
You can make word searches, like with Halloween words (or any kinds of words, like a weekly word search if you're watching him once a week). It's pretty simple if you have a printer to print some out... My son loves those. Puzzles, card games... they involve counting, seeing what's higher, making pairs, depending on the game... Still thinking...

Writing4Fun
October 21st, 2004, 08:15 PM
At 6 yrs old, I don't know if he'll be able to do a word search yet. As for artsy stuff, my 5 yr old is really into drawing his own story boards these days. He can sit for hours with nothing more than a pen and piece of paper. He'll draw elaborate pictures of different family members & friends, various dinosaurs, dragons, other animals, landscapes and cityscapes, and then he'll tell me the whole story behind each picture (usually involving a super-hero - him!). It's a riot to see his little imagination working overtime! :D

lilith_rizel
October 21st, 2004, 09:45 PM
It would be alot easier if I knew what he liked and disliked. I guess, I will just have to see tomorrow. I do know that he plays soccer, so he's into sports, and at a young age!!! He keeps up like that, and he may be pro one day!

Well, I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow. I don't have to watch the kids until early evening, so I will check for more suggestions right before I leave.

I did find a book mark that kids make for their parents, and what you do is take a picture of the child, cut it out, then they glue it to the book mark, and decorate it. I think that it would make a great "I love you" gift for his mom or dad.

Sneaky2006
October 21st, 2004, 10:43 PM
I'm sure he could do word searches, my son did. You don't have to know how to read to do a word search, it's all about visualization of letters. They're actually very good for kids of all ages. Reading or not.
Also, they love to see their name or siblings names, aunts, uncles, pets for word searches.

lilith_rizel
October 23rd, 2004, 04:30 PM
I guess the boy was only 5, not 6. He loves dinosaurs and loves to color. It was easy to keep him entertained until he went to sleep. We played with playdough, and made handprints, and set them out to dry, for his parents to see. We also made butterflies out of Claire's foot prints, and then Grant did his too. These kids are little angels. I had never baby sat any kids that behaved so well. And the parents absolutely adored the art projects. And they said that I would definately hear from them again!