Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Farewell "party" for kitty.

dogmelissa
December 31st, 2013, 05:01 PM
We have made the difficult decision to have Aubrie euthanised. She has been struggling for about 2 years with diarrhea, and at 14 years old, I'm not willing to put her through any further testing, treatment attempts or misery. We've tried everything suggested by the vet, and by people here and on the web in general, and nothing has made any difference.

A date hasn't been picked quite yet, but it'll probably be Jan 10 or 11th.

What I want to do is give her a special treat the day before or day of. I've done a little searching online but am not really in a good emotional state to sort through the thousands of options. I'd like her special treat to be something that can be shared with Taz (cat) and possibly Cube (dog) though that's not completely necessary.

Some of her favorite foods: tuna, turkey, ham. She used to love catnip but doesn't have a lot of interest in it these days. She's somewhat picky about canned foods, though as this will be basically her last meal, it doesn't need to be balanced or even healthy so I'm totally ok cracking a can of just tuna for her.

Any suggestions and/or recipes?

Thanks in advance,
Melissa & Aubrie

Koteburo
December 31st, 2013, 05:57 PM
Is she in a lot of pain? :(
Once I had a kitten that I was told I would have to euthanize because he wouldn't walk properly. He had a broken back however he did walk, my mom and me used to give him massages and put his legs together daily. He made it. Because he was a warrior, because of our care and because I am so reluctant to put them to sleep.
I just, I understand you I just have a lot of conflicts with euthanasia. It's something extremely hard for me to accept.
I'm sure you've done your best.

I'd give her tuna. Scully likes tuna salad (yeah with mayo and all, even more from Subway) she would steal it if I let her. Does Aubrie like tuna salad?
OK I'm getting really depressed and I haven't even met Aubrie but I just can't...

dogmelissa
December 31st, 2013, 10:01 PM
I totally get where you're coming from. This is a horrible decision and not one I want to accept as the only way. But we've been dealing with this for 2 years, and exhausted every option other than exploratory surgery. At 14, and with kidney disease already on board, I don't want to put her through surgery, dump gobs of money into the vet's pocket, to buy her another couple of months. My last 2 kitties suffered with kidney disease, the first literally dying in my arms and the second we had euthanised when it became clear she was miserable.

Aubrie's current state isn't miserable but she's not happy. She's never been a fast-moving cat & now she literally makes runs to the litter box. She's not as cuddly, doesn't respond to petting like she used to and appears to be starting to lose muscle mass - the same physical symptoms both Rusty & Sierra showed when their kidneys got bad.

I'm not trying to convince you or explain myself. I love this cat more than I can even express. She was my first cat as an adult, she's been with me through 3 moves, a divorce (which required her to live in a kennel for a few months), a new marriage and the birth of my daughter. We've been through an incredible amount together and if I could find any way to fix her, to give her a good quality of life for another year, 2 years, 5... I would. But I don't want to torture her or risk her dying during surgery to give her a few weeks or months of slightly better life.

She's 14 years old, and she has earned a peaceful end.

She loves tuna, but I've never offered her tuna salad. Is mayo ok for cats (Taz) or dogs?

I truly apologize for making you feel sad. I will give Aubrie a hug for you.

Thanks,
Melissa

Barkingdog
January 1st, 2014, 10:43 AM
I can totally understand what you mean , I when through the same thing with my beloved Standard Poodle who was my hearing dog. He was at my side for 9 years and Finlay was also my best friend . He had a lot of pride and hated to his business in our yard . When Finlay got cancer and could no longer eat and having trouble getting outside on time , I decided I was going to let my proud dog leave the way he came into the world , so I had Finlay put down while he still had his pride left. I was not going to put him through more tests as his cancer was to far spread and I could not force him to eat because he could not keep his food down . You're doing a very kind thing for your cat and I know it a painful and hard decision to made . If you use mayo on the tuna you could made some tuna with a little mayo for other pets.

Dog Dancer
January 1st, 2014, 11:01 AM
Dogmelissa, I commend you for doing what you feel is right for Aubrie. None of us want to make this decision for our pets, nor do we do it lightly. I am sure you have done all you can for her, and like you, I agree with not putting them through too much just because we can. You have to trust your gut and you seem to be in a good place with your decision. Thinking of Aubrie first will always steer you in the right direction. Go ahead and crack a can of tuna if that's what she likes. Anything at all. We did that with our last girl Shadow. But her treats went on for more than a day. When I had "picked the day" she was allowed whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted. Bless you for having the strength to not let Aubrie suffer, and to let her go with some dignity. Sorry I haven't had cats in a long time so other than tuna don't really know what to suggest for you treat wise.

marko
January 1st, 2014, 11:40 AM
This is so difficult. I too lost a cat to kidney disease a few years ago. It was very difficult to watch l'il Zig deteriorate.

I wish you much strength and courage. I feel your sadness.

Here's my menu

Tuna - for course 1

palate cleanser of 1 shrimp in between courses.

Turkey - for course 2

10 pounds of Catnip for dessert.
You remember the movie scarface? how at the end of the film Tony (Al Pacino) had a mountain of cocaine on his desk ? That's how much catnip Aubrie should get. :grouphug:

Winston
January 1st, 2014, 06:14 PM
Marko your so right! it wont matter what you feed or give just as long as your baby wants it. I so like the idea of a mountain of Catnip.

A good life has been lived at 14. I applaud you for giving your baby the best you feel she deserved no matter what.

I lost my special baby too just a few shorts months ago and honestly if I had of know the outcome of that day in August I would have given her the moon if I could have. So whatever you think is best! is what I say whether that's tuna or a hunk of meat whatever.

I wish you peace with your decision and enjoy your moments together until the end. I will be thinking of you.

Hugs
Cindy
:grouphug:

dogmelissa
January 3rd, 2014, 01:51 AM
Thank you all for your support and strength.

I love the idea of giving her a mountain of catnip. She won't eat it all, but it should also give Taz a nice buzz to help deal with her leaving: he's never been without her.

I haven't finalized the date yet; need to order the paw print kit and get it here before she goes. But in the meantime, I think I'm going to crack some tuna and give her some everyday. What's the worst that happens, she gets diarrhea?

Thanks again, I knew I could count on everyone here for comfort.
Melissa