Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Removing a dew claw in an adult dog???

Daisie
October 20th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Hi,
I have an OES with all the dew claws. One of them on the back leg is hanging on, and yet the other three are fine. She is going in to get her hips x-rayed and a general checkup tommorrow. So I'm wondering if she can't be still for her x-ray, they will sedate her, if that happens should I get them to remove her 1 dew claw? Or all 4?

I read that it is painful, and as it is now it doesn't bother unless I accidently touch while grooming. She doesn't like that foot being touched. I just don't want a create a fur licking problem.

Has anyone ever done this to their adult, what happened? She is 2 1/2 yrs old. I've had her for 9 mths now, the dew claw came to me that way.

doggy lover
October 21st, 2004, 09:29 PM
One of my dogs was born with back dew claws and we had it removed at 6 months when he was fixed, the vet didn't give him antibiotics incase of infection and we had it done in april, also no e-collar was given. So needless to say it got infected and he ripped out the stiches costing us another $150 to redo it at the time. The reason the vet suggested it to be done was that he ran through the bush alot at our cottage and it would have ment an emergency vet visit if he happened to rip them off so we decided to do it. The only thing I never understood was that they made about a four inch cut along his foot to remove the claw, I think they could have just removed the claw its self? What does your vet suggest? I also had a friend thats dog did run through the bush at their cottage and did rip off one of her dew claws it was painful and it bleed quite a bit causing her to take the dog to an emergency clinic and they can charge an arm and leg, I know I've done that one before for bloat.

goldenblaze
October 21st, 2004, 09:46 PM
I feel stupid, I never knew dogs had back dew claws :o
I know my boys both only have the front, weird now I will be looking at other dogs I know. :)

Daisie
October 22nd, 2004, 11:18 AM
I'm going in today, so I will see what he says. I bought her boots for winter, ad I'm already finding those back dews annoying, she doesn't like me near that foot. But she has to wear boots, her pads collect and pack in alot of snow.

doggy lover
October 22nd, 2004, 07:49 PM
My vet told me that one in I think it was 50 dogs come with back dew claws, some breeders snip them off when they are very young. I don't know if its only certain breeds that this can happen to my dog was a Bernese mountain dog crossed with German sheppard, he was a beautiful dog.