Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Litter Box Woos

Shannon83
October 20th, 2004, 01:11 PM
I'm having a hard time getting 6kittens who are 1month and 2weeks to use the litter box, there using it ever now and then but still they think that poo belongs on the floor and not in a box. it's to the point where i'm washing my floors everyday and come the next morning there's poo once again on the floor, what can I do to get them to stop.

Mysts38
October 20th, 2004, 01:39 PM
I would confine kittens in one small area,,,place their food at one end and their littler box in the other end...and toys or sleeping towels in the center...this way they may not want to soil their sleeping or eating place and will use the litter box...Perhaps too the litter is the problem....is it changed every day?
Just some thoughts

sammiec
October 20th, 2004, 01:51 PM
You have six kittens sharing one box?? I would get more boxes... like 5 more...

Sneaky2006
October 20th, 2004, 03:13 PM
They're only 6 weeks old, she shouldn't have to have 6 boxes too unless you're keeping them all?! :eek:
When I had the litter of kittens here, I only had one box but I had them confined to a large crate for a bit to get them used to using the box, then confined to a small room and if the box use stopped it was back in the crate again!

Shannon83
October 20th, 2004, 03:57 PM
There litter box is big enough and there confined in a space where mom can still feed them and no matter which way I set things up they mess it up even poo on what they sleep on, I have another set of kittens who are older by four days and they seem to have no problem with using there litter box, understand these kittens are all rescues and would have been born outside like a set of three we have that there age is unknown. I've never had to deal with a problem like this and there for I'm stump on what to do.

Sneaky2006
October 20th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Well wait a minute... I didn't think that kittens needed to be nursed at 6 + weeks?? That may be part of the problem!? Maybe Lucky can answer that for you...

Mysts38
October 20th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Generally the mother can nurse them till they are 7 weeks old,but at 6 weeks the weaning process should have begun...shouldnt it?

cutiecherise
October 20th, 2004, 05:34 PM
6 weeks old, eh?

Well, i know that cats learn a lot from their parents... Maybe mom isn't setting a proper example?

Silver started using the litterbox his first night in the house, and Hide did the same. Both of them were feral and from what i can tell had never even been in a house.
So, i'm not sure what to say about this one.

Tragic used too pee on stuff when i didn't give her enough attention,
or if the litter bothered her feet.

Maybe try a different brand of litter?

Also, I've heard that if a cat can smell the scent of urine or feces on fabric they'll be tempted to use that spot.
So make sure their bedding and all surfaces are REALLY well de-scented (i use bleach and/or vinegar to remove odour)

I wish you good luck with this one as i'm sure its a hard habit to break once a cat thinks pooping on the floor is a good idea!

Shannon83
October 20th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Mom cat is weaning them herself and nor does she poo on the floor... maybe the kittens just don't like me.

krdahmer
October 21st, 2004, 12:49 AM
Bigger box...higher sides....and make sure you take each one of them and gently rub their paws in the litter so they get the idea. Also if there is no poo in the litter box, take one of the pieces off the floor and place into the litter box, they go where they smell the right spot, and that is apparently your floor at the moment! :o

Sneaky2006
October 21st, 2004, 02:18 AM
Sorry Krd... I don't think a box with higher sides would be good for them. They are very small yet, maybe they think it is too much work as so as it is, and then to climb higher may turn them off altogether.