Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Homeowners Insurance...BSL??

sammiec
October 20th, 2004, 01:10 PM
K, I just had ANOTHER thought...I already have a very difficult time with house insurance...many companies are turning away people with "dangerous breeds".

My life and my possessions can now be put in danger because NO ONE will want to insure a home with a pit bull!! Under this legislation we will have to carry 1 million dollars coverage for the dog alone! That's a VERY expensive policy!! (probably 300 - 500 dollars a year! - I now pay roughly 120 a year!!)

Has anyone considered this dilema, and what have you done so far??

LL1
October 20th, 2004, 01:19 PM
I didn't see that amount mentionned, do you have a link for that?

mastifflover
October 20th, 2004, 01:26 PM
That is the number I heard as well. How will you be able to get insurance if nobody wants to cover "dangerous breeds" sorry Briggs we know you are not dangerous. They are trying to make it as hard as possible to own the breed

sammiec
October 20th, 2004, 01:30 PM
That information was from my insurance broker.... here's a link to an editorial that it was mentioned in....HERE (http://www.cfhs.ca/AWIF/AWIF2002-1/EDITORIAL.pdf) from the Canadian Federation of Humane Societies.

LL1
October 20th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Ok - people are just guessing what it is. I wondered if I had missed it being said by Bryant. I know Winnipeg requires $300,000 and Denver requires $100,000

sammiec
October 20th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Regardless of the number, it will be MUCH more difficult to acquire home owners insurance.... that's the issue here.

I have emailed the Insurance Bureau of Canada for more information...

I was just wondering if anyone has been turned down for insurance when trying to renew... what have they done so far?!?

Originally Posted by LL1
I know Winnipeg requires $300,000 and Denver requires $100,000

Winnipeg requires liability coverage for any breed, or pit bulls? Pit bulls are banned and not even allowed within the city limits....

LL1
October 20th, 2004, 02:08 PM
In Winnipeg it was for Pitbulls which they defined as Pitbull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers or American Pitbuill Terriers or any dog which has the appearance and physical characteristics predominantly conforming to the standards for any of the above breeds.

Mind you it was only for dogs licensed before 1990, so there probably would not be any left, and that insurance amount would have been set 14 years ago.

raingirl
October 20th, 2004, 02:42 PM
I work in Insurance, what info are you looking for? I already carry $1,000,000 limit of liability on mine, and I'm paying about $120 a year. You should always carry a high limit because they can sue you personally for anything over your limit.

sammiec, if I remember, we live in the same city, coverage should be similar for us.

Who is your broker? I can recommend a couple of great ones, that deal with better insurance companies. Not all brokers deal with good insurance companies, because they only get good rates with the big companies if they have a large volume of policies written. I don't recommend going with statefarm though, because the reason their rates are cheap is because they have removed some standard coverages from the policy (for instance, there is a coverage on the standard home owners policy in Ontario that states if your keys are stolen/lost, they will replace the locks, and the deductible doesn't apply. This happened to my sister when she was mugged by someone she knew. The police advised us to change locks asap, but statefarm wouldn't cover it because they had removed the coverage).

I am happy to answer insurance questions if they are about ONtario, but anything outside that, I don't know.

sammiec
October 20th, 2004, 02:44 PM
I have done a little investigating into this and found that insurance companies cannot change rates based on dogs, and that it's against som regulations.. I don't remember....

raingirl... do you mind PMing me with some company information....

raingirl
October 20th, 2004, 03:27 PM
I don't think they can change a rate based on a breed of dog, unless they make a law saying they have to.

Right now, rates are based on risk. Having a dog puts you in a higer risk catagory, therefore you pay more. If they pass the legislation stating you have to have $1 mill liability if you own a PB, your insurance will create rates for that type of insurance through their actuaries...

LL1
October 20th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Wonder why mine is so high? I pay $277.56 and that was without info on my critters.

goldenblaze
October 20th, 2004, 03:32 PM
I have done a little investigating into this and found that insurance companies cannot change rates based on dogs, and that it's against som regulations.. I don't remember....

It can not be changed during a term but when you renew it can be change and the price will go up. No point on not telling the truth about having any bred because if you are not honest and something were to happen you are no covered. When mine was ready for renew last month I was asked what bred of dog I have and I told them, mine did not go up because of the breds but I did ask more about it and yes some bred will turns out to cost more and some companys will not even take the chance and sell you insurance. How sad is that.

Writing4Fun
October 20th, 2004, 03:36 PM
I recently changed carriers, and I was asked what breed of dog I have. I was told that the rate would have increased if my breed was on her list of "dangerous breeds". Luckily, my dog's breed is quite questionable, so I didn't have to pin it down for her. ;)

Sneaky2006
October 20th, 2004, 03:47 PM
LL1, mine is a little more than that a year and it is considered low for around here, my mom pays double that because her roof is flat and lives in a bad neighborhood, your yearly payment is determined by size of property (house and land), roofing, garages, sheds, pools, all that jazz.

raingirl
October 20th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Golden, I'm not sure what you mean about rates changing during the term. It is correct that they can't send you a bill because rates went up, but if a new law is passed, and you renewed 3 months before it, and the new law says you have report something to your insurance company, the could change your policy and charge more.

Remember folks (being I work in claims) don't forget to let your insurance know if you change ANYTHING that might affect your policy. You won't beleive how many times I see people call their broker, ask to add something, then tell them they had an accident BEFORE they had coverage!!!

MBRA518
October 20th, 2004, 06:02 PM

(ex agent here) Even if they can't change the rate based on a dog breed (been out of the industry too long to know for sure) They can refuse to renew your policy for any reason they see fit. So while your actual rates may not go up - you may end up paying more for insurance because you are forced to change companies. If you are having a hard time now I'd recommend looking into a better company, like raingirl mentioned.

LL1 - as for rates they are based on a number of things - like where you live, the crime rates in your area, the cost to rebuild your house (not to be confused with what it is worth if you sell it), your risk (like having a dog - or owning pricey items) and you claims history. My home insurance is $530 per year and I live in the GTA.

Sheriffmom
October 20th, 2004, 07:18 PM
I was told my my insurance rep that like cars, there is a point system for dogs, the higher the number (supposedly based on bite stats, fatalities, hospital visits etc..) the more insurance costs. (i.e Our accent is a low rated # I think 4 or something, and our Tib. is rated like 12 (out of 13) therefore the rate on my Tib is almost double). For a dog, a papillon (for eg) might be rated a 1, and a Pit or Rottie might get a 12. Supposedly it is all fair and balanced, based on facts and statistical info regarding propensity to bite etc... The only good thing used to be was that certain breeds were considered a deterrant to B&E's so they actually brought the point system down in the security area, and therefore lowered that portion of the policy.
The SPCA told us one of the reason so many Pits were being abandoned was because home insurance was going way up and they couldn't afford to have a Pit in their home, and also ppl were extreamly worried about getting the 1million liability insurance on their dog (I am pretty sure M.Bryant did mention that this would be a clause in grandfathering already owned Pits... but I'll double check!!)

goldenblaze
October 20th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Golden, I'm not sure what you mean about rates changing during the term. It is correct that they can't send you a bill because rates went up, but if a new law is passed, and you renewed 3 months before it, and the new law says you have report something to your insurance company, the could change your policy and charge more.

Remember folks (being I work in claims) don't forget to let your insurance know if you change ANYTHING that might affect your policy. You won't beleive how many times I see people call their broker, ask to add something, then tell them they had an accident BEFORE they had coverage!!!

What I mean is my insurance is due in Feb, the company can not call me tomorrow and say hey you now owe this much more starting now. When I renew they can put it up yes but not until I renew, as far as I know no new law has passes yet but I might be wrong on that. As for reporting any changing well yes of course you would tell anything that has changed and not lie about a bred of dog.

MBRA518
October 20th, 2004, 08:32 PM
I was told my my insurance rep that like cars, there is a point system for dogs, the higher the number (supposedly based on bite stats, fatalities, hospital visits etc..) the more insurance costs. (i.e Our accent is a low rated # I think 4 or something, and our Tib. is rated like 12 (out of 13) therefore the rate on my Tib is almost double). For a dog, a papillon (for eg) might be rated a 1, and a Pit or Rottie might get a 12. Supposedly it is all fair and balanced, based on facts and statistical info regarding propensity to bite etc... The only good thing used to be was that certain breeds were considered a deterrant to B&E's so they actually brought the point system down in the security area, and therefore lowered that portion of the policy.
The SPCA told us one of the reason so many Pits were being abandoned was because home insurance was going way up and they couldn't afford to have a Pit in their home, and also ppl were extreamly worried about getting the 1million liability insurance on their dog (I am pretty sure M.Bryant did mention that this would be a clause in grandfathering already owned Pits... but I'll double check!!)

It really depends on the Company - some do differ rates based on the dog - some don't. It's up to the Company how to do it.

Many pits got dumped because a few select companies refused to insure homes with them... Can't remember which ones just now - but it happened last year.