Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are you having a FLU shot this year?

Mysts38
October 20th, 2004, 06:48 AM
We all had our flu shots last year and let me tell ya,hubby and I were sick puppies!...I got sick about 3 days after I recieved the shot...dr tells me "NO you cant get sick from the shot" BUT this is the 2nd year its happened

ALthough I have to admit I didnt get the flu last year....or the year before...my own dr personally doesnt endorse the flu shot for healthy kids and adults,unless there is some underlying medical condition,such as asthma

Will I get it again this year? havent decided yet..

So anyone here having it and did anyone else get reactions from it?

jackieb
October 20th, 2004, 06:50 AM
To be honest im not sure either we never got it in England unless you had diabetis or heart condition or some medical condition like that. I dont like gining my children drugs for the sake of it so will be intrested to here anyone elses opions and experinces.

GunnerX
October 20th, 2004, 08:22 AM
I usually get the Flu shot each year. However, we didn't have a flu clinic in the office last year so I never got the shot. All the other years i got the shot I was flu free. Last year, I got the flu 3 times and each lasted for around 2 weeks. They were quite horrible too. One of them I was bedridden for 3 days straight. I'm definitely getting the shot this year.

Writing4Fun
October 20th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Everyone - and I do mean everyone - I know who has gotten the flu shot has wound up sick afterwards.

My Dr. feels the same way about flu shots - no need if you're an otherwise healthy person.

I've never had the shot before, and I don't intend to get one this year either (needles - eeewwww :eek: ).

Stewart
October 20th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Hi ! I and my wife had our shots about 10 days ago but I also decided to have a pneumonia one while there.....Well the next day boy oh boy! :sick: did I suffer,But these effects only lasted the day because the following day I was in fine fettle again ;) And I would rather have that than a dose of the full blown stuff ! :D

lilith_rizel
October 20th, 2004, 09:13 AM
I have never got a flu shot, but my husband has asked me if I will be getting one this year. Can you even get one while your pregnant?

Sunkist/Winnie
October 20th, 2004, 09:59 AM
I've gotten a flu shot every year for at least the past 5 years - I'm asthmatic. I did have what I thought was a reaction a few years back, but my doctor said it is very uncommon to have a reaction so maybe it was just coincidental timing.

I did get the flu last year but I was only really bed ridden for two days, I'd hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't had the shot. Previous to that I haven't had it for as long as I've been getting the shot - even as people all around me were catching it.

I will be getting the shot this year, with asthma I don't want to chance getting catching it without some antibodies in my system.

I also have a stepdaughter that brings all kinds of germs home and work in a company of people who don't understand the concept of staying home when they are contagious, so the flu shot is attractive for those reasons alone.

Sneaky2006
October 20th, 2004, 10:15 AM
My husband's work always gives them every year... five people in the family work there, they all get them and never got sick from it. They were going to get one this year but now with the shortage, the company didn't get any in. :(

CyberKitten
October 20th, 2004, 12:17 PM
I will definitely be getting a flu shot this year. I always do. I get them at a hospital where I am a Board member. (and it is no charge). Sometimes I get them at my doctor's office, also at no charge since I am in a high risk category. (Asthma and other chronic medical conditions).

Many Americans are coming to New Brunswick to get their flu shots and I am happy we can share!

heidiho
October 20th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Nope,got one last year still got sick,and not big on needles......

melanie
October 20th, 2004, 05:18 PM
no i rely on my strong imune system, and with every one trying to get flu shots it makes new strains of flu that are stronger and harder to kill. over here they only give them to old ppl and the ill, my mum is very ill and she has them and she has never gotten sick after ward, her body is too weak so her dr would not give them if theywere going to make her sick.

but i have never had one and the only real flu ive had was a few yrs ago, i dont know about over there but over here ppl often confuse cold symptoms with flu. for ppl in a normal age range with normal health and fitness your immune system is a better defense, and catching colds etc also give a good immune boost so you constantly build it up.

if ppl focused more on their health and fitness and also focused on good eating and perhaps vitamin supliments i doubt there would be a need. i often view the flu shots (not for old or ill but for norm ppl) a bit of a quick fix, good health is the best remedy there is. :crazy: :D

mastifflover
October 20th, 2004, 05:26 PM
no way I do not believe they really work I had one 4 years ago and almost died from the flu. Never had one since got the flu last year felt crumby but I never stopped breathing anyhow it is time off work.

heidiho
October 20th, 2004, 05:38 PM
I think it is all hyped up sp someone can make money and make everyone think they need it....

Dwight Byrd
October 20th, 2004, 06:35 PM
I would not miss getting a flu shot. My Doctor highly recommends it. Receiving a flu shot has never made me, or anyone that I know sick. Even so, if I did expdereince a reaction, I would still go ahead the next year and get another shot. I would rather do that than suffer for three weeks with the flu. (Nor woud I want to be responsible for spreading the flu to someone vulnerable - like a senior.) The flu can be fatal for seniors.

Sheriffmom
October 20th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Hi guys
I am a Paramedic and up until last year we were FORCED to get the flu shot. I and many of my collegues were very against being forced to do something, so we did lots of research, and finally we were given the CHOICE. After all the FLU shot research I did, I will never get the shot again. Check out the CDC (Center for disease control), or TO Paramedic website (although, they might have removed the stats by now). Just a few to make you think:
In Holland they did a study on the FLU shot using Nursing homes, there was a 40% greater risk of dying from the Flu if the pt contracted the flu AFTER having been given the shot. Also, because the flu shot works on antibodies (and immune system reaction), you are MORE suseptable to any other disease/virus floating around for up to 9days after taking the shot. Your antibodies are busy trying to kill the fake flu, and leave little else to fight anything else you may come into contact with. The small print advises those in Health Care and immuno suppressed persons to avoid ppl and places where they could be exposed to other diseases/viruses for upto 9days after getting the flu shot. 7% of ppl who get the flu shot get ocular-resp. disease (don't know exactly what that is, but obviously afects breathing), also there is a proven correllation between the flu shot and Gillian-Barr disease.
For me not taking the flu shot, is simply, what if I am a part of the 7% of the population to have an adverse rxn? Who will compensate me if I can't work anymore?
Please don't get me wrong, I advocate that seniors should probably get the flu shot due to their already suppressed immune system. But, for me I don't feel it necessary, I'd rather let my body build up a natural immunity to things while I am still young!!
Please don't take this as a bash against ppl getting the flu shot, if you feel you should get it, get it!! For me the issue was being forced to get it!!

Sheriffmom
October 20th, 2004, 07:42 PM
PS--- Getting the flu shot does not stop you from spreading the flu to someone else. The germs could be on your hand, which you open a door with, then someone else opens the door, thusly getting exposed to the flu.

CyberKitten
October 20th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Re: if ppl focused more on their health and fitness and also focused on good eating and perhaps vitamin supliments i doubt there would be a need. i often view the flu shots (not for old or ill but for norm ppl) a bit of a quick fix, good health is the best remedy there is.

Unfortunately, not all of us are blessed with great health when we start out in life. And while I am sure pharmacutical companies probably do make more money than they need (Just read that great book by Marcia Angell, former editor of the New England Journal of Medcine), it is really important to keep down incidences of the flu in society. I do focus on attempting to stay in good health but what you said rather insinuates that getting a flu shot is an easy way out. It's NOT for me and many others! The flu could potentially kill me so no matter how much how work at keeping my health good (and I do), the flu shot is absolutely necessary!

I find it annoying sometimes that those people who have enjoyed good health think that those of us who do not somehow are responsible for it. My problems were congenital and even though I am a Canadian, I have spent over $500,000US just to be alive. It is not a simple thing to me and I take offense at your comment. I just think we need to be careful before we type and consider the feelings of others!

raingirl
October 20th, 2004, 10:59 PM
I'm with you Cyberkitten, the flu could be my dealth.

I will definately be getting the flu shot. I have severe asthma. Even a sore throat or simple cold often leads to a hospital emergency visit. I have gotten the flu shot the last two years, and they were the best winters in my entire life!! I was entirely flu free!!!

If I get the flu, I often end up getting pneumonia as well, because of my weekend immune from the flu. I've already had pneumonia 5 times in my life, and the doc said if I get it too many more times, it will ruin my lungs.

I'm also allergic to 2 of the 3 big antibiotic drugs, so if I do get pneumonia, it takes longer to cure because I have to take less effective medicine.

I also, ever since I was a kid, have had moderate reactions to all vaccinations/shots (usually large swollen areas near the shot, asthma attacks, fever, achiness). The docs say it's fine because it's still in the "acceptable" range for a reaction. I was achy for about a week last year after my flu shot, but that's normal.

Also, shots don't always work with me. I had to take the MMR vaccine 4 times (once when I was a kid, and three times as an adult) before my blood showed up the antibody! I got it as a kid, and aparently had a bad reaction to it. Then when I went for a physical when I was 18, they noticed I didn't have an immunity to it. Luckily I didn't get mumps or measles during that time!! I hated that vaccine...made me feel like a lump of coal for weeks!! But now I have the immunity so no more of that!

so...flu shot for me all the way!

MEEKA
October 20th, 2004, 11:28 PM
My Family And I Have Never Gotten The Flu Shot, And Never Have We Had The Flu. My Dr. Said He Doesn't Recommend It. I Also Was Told If Your Allergic To Eggs You Shouldn't Get The Flu Shot.

Shelly
October 20th, 2004, 11:39 PM
We will all be getting the flu shot here. Even my poor son who is terrified of needles, but with his Asthma it is for the best. Last year we all had the shot as well, (at the time my son was 3 and my daughter was 1) and we were all much healthier because of it. The less we get sick :sick: the better. ;)

krdahmer
October 21st, 2004, 12:37 AM
Asthma here so...yep, every year just in case. And I have never once been sick because of it. :thumbs up

Writing4Fun
October 21st, 2004, 09:39 AM
I have never got a flu shot, but my husband has asked me if I will be getting one this year. Can you even get one while your pregnant?
Watching BT this morning, they had on some guy "Director of Disease Control" or something along those lines. :o Anyhow, he said it is recommended for pregnant women to get the flu shot (although I didn't get it either time I was pregnant).

Here's some info if you're currently sitting on the "flu shot" fence. Hope it helps :) :
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/pubhealth/flu/flu_04/factsheets/flu_shot.html

glasslass
October 21st, 2004, 03:47 PM
I got the flu shot about 9 days ago at work. My doctor had to fax to verify that I was high risk. Monday, I had to go to Urgent Care because of bronchial asthma. Not related, I was having problems recovering from a summer cold that I had in August. I had the flu really bad in 97 and will always get the shot if available. I feel really guilty. My 78 year old mother hasn't been able to get it yet because the vaccine hasn't been available. :sad:

sammiec
October 21st, 2004, 03:51 PM
Nah, I never get the flu shot anymore.. I was really sick one year and I vowed never to take it again... haven't had the flu since

*looking for wood to knock on*

lilith_rizel
October 21st, 2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks writing4fun, I will look it over, My concern now is that if I do get the shot, I will become sick, and with my morning sickness back for third trimester, now, I will feel absolutely horrible, and nothing will get done in the house. (Hubby works long days, 5 am-6 pm, 5 days a week)

TalonsMa
October 21st, 2004, 04:51 PM
My sil is trying for another baby, and asked her gyno about getting a flu shot, and was told you can get it only if your in the first trimester...HTH :)

melanie
October 21st, 2004, 05:27 PM
cyberkitten, you did not seem to have read my post properly,

quote'but what you said rather insinuates that getting a flu shot is an easy way out'

for some reason you did not read my post as it clearly stated -

quote'(not for old or ill ppl but for normal ppl)'

i cannot see where you got confused but to clarify more, i clearly stated that the shots were a quick fix for normal ppl, not the old or ill. a person with a lack of good helath is considered an ill person, the meaning of ill refers to beign ill at ease, so any form of medical condition including lack of health falls under the term ill ppl as far as i cna see.

a normal person who is capable of great health can use their health or better it to avoid illness and i think a flu shot for these ppl is a bit of a cop out, ie meaning that it is easier to get the shot for a normal person than to eat well and excersise. also it has been proven that these shots in normal ppl only encourage tougher and nastier strains of flu, instead of the generic version which was not so bad for most ppl (note most).

Iggette
October 22nd, 2004, 04:06 AM
I never used to get the flu shot, but I do now......and have for the past 5 years....No reaction and no flu!!

CyberKitten
October 22nd, 2004, 02:04 PM
I know what you mean Melanie but one must also consider health care workers and others (including teachers) who come into contact with the flu more than the majority of the population.

I do agree with you that in our western society, we do indeed look to quick fixes for so many things and preventive health is essential. It is not just about health but also wellness!

lilith_rizel
October 22nd, 2004, 02:11 PM
My hubby and I decided that it would be best for me to wait until next year to try the flu shot, being that I have never gotten one before, and I don't know how I will react. Plus, I don't want to be sick, when it comes time to have the baby. But next flu season, I am planning on getting one.