Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Happens to everyone...Atleast I think

Joelle
October 20th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Well,

Touchy topic..It happens to everyone atleast I think at some point in your life. You start to reasses whats really important in life... You start to think why your $$ paying job isn't making you as happy as you thought you'd be. Well, atleast it happened to me. Yes everyone, at the ripe old age of 23 I've decided to switch career paths, which was not an easy decision considering I've just graduated!!! :eek: teehee...So off I go for another 5-7 years of university! Thank god for my wonderful and supportive parents! Angels both of them! :angel: But all this to say that in the mean time I did get a little depressed and sad (especially since I don't have any doggy destraction!! :D ) But just wanted to let everybody know there's AWESOME book at there that puts a different perspective on situations such as this... Its called "What Happy People Know" by Don Baker..I'm not a salesperson (trust its not in my genes) But just wanted to put the word out there b/c it helped me get back on track!!!! With all these quick fixes books this one gets down to the knitty gritty...Just a word for anyone who's been feeling down and out!

And by the way, I started volunteering at an animal shelter for the first time ever! (They don't PTS animals only if they're dangerous) Its also been great and although this sounds cliche you really do get more out it and then you put in! It's been satisfying my doggy cravings!!!!LOL :D

Joelle

melanie
October 20th, 2004, 12:35 AM
every day i think of all those woman around the world who live in horrific conditions and suffer endless abuse, famine, sexual abuse, poverty, woman who have to walk for 10 miles to get their kids a drink, woman who live in patriachal driven societies and i thank the spiits of the land for my fortune, every day i also remind myself that there are ppl aaround the world who would think i live like a queen. western society needs to get a grip and get over themselves, we live in this horrific material driven society that says that you may be a pedophile but you have nice cloths and fancy car so you are assumed to be a valuable citezen and good person for working hard.hmmmm make you wonder about western morals and ethics, they seem pretty screwed.

money does not make anyone happy, it just fullfills materialistic desires, there are plenty of ppl out there that are happy and have nothing but the shirt on their back, its all perspective and ego really as far as im concerned.

as far as another 7 yrs at uni, well thats not so bad, i am 4 weeks away form handing in my masters thesis party party and it has been six yrs and i have really loved my time of study, and will do my PHD in the coming yrs. learn all you can for as long as you like, we were not born just to work, do what you love and bugger money, there is alot mroe to life than cash and shinny things :crazy: :love: .

and you never know where your past skills and future exp will lead you.

raingirl
October 20th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Wow. That's amazing. I would go back to school in a second if I had the money! I'm already so far in debt from my first degree, I can't afford to go back for a very long time.

I did my degree in Anthropology, which hasn't really lead to any good jobs. I got into a program for pastry arts, but turned down the admission because I couldn't afford it. I would love to go back and do that. I love to bake/cook/decorate. Everyone says I'm my happiest then. I was pushed into university because everyone else was doing it (peer pressure) and "college" was looked upon as a "school for people who aren't smart enough to go to university". I wish I had known then what i know now!! I don't regret University, but I think I could have done things differently.

melanie
October 20th, 2004, 04:10 PM
and never forget, life is not a dress rehersal, live it as best as you can and in the ways that make you happy, you wont get a secound chance. :crazy: :love:

Joelle
October 20th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Melanie...YOU'RE SO RIGHT! :D I used to tell myself..oh...I'll go back to school later...for now I gotta get a job and get a life started...(i.e. house, kids, the whole shabang!) But only recently (past 6 months) did I realize that NOW is a better time then ever to do things I think are important! That's why I started volunteering too! It's been a great awakening experience! I've never felt so free!!!! :crazy: (I sound like an infomercial!!!LOL)

LOL!

Joelle

heidiho
October 20th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Money sure helps though..

Joelle
October 20th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Yes you're right Heidho! $$$ does help! Especially when you have an expensive hobby!!! (I have a horse)

But that shouldn't mean that you go into a field just 'cause of the $$$, which is what I did originally. If you don't like a field you'll never do well, you'll be miserable and as a result probably won't have as much $$$ as you thought in the 1st place!!!! (from my short life experience!!!)

heidiho
October 20th, 2004, 05:31 PM
You are right about that i love my job,so laid back,doesnt pay enough,but i have fun,wear what i want,the gm is the coolest guy you ever met.....I am lucky with that,i wouldnt go somewhere else even if the money was better...

LavenderRott
October 20th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Oh, if only I had known at your age what I know now!

No, money isn't everything, but having it sure beats laying awake at night trying to figure out how to pay the months bills and buy groceries.

At 40, I bust my butt at a job that I absolutely hate so that I can bring home less then $300 a week. At this point going back to college is a dream. I can't quit my job, my hours vary from week to week, so trying to schedule classes around my work schedule is next to impossible, and classes cost money.

Get your education out of the way now. Find a career that you love and go for it! There is plenty of time later for marriage and babies. Even dogs can wait.

Joelle
October 20th, 2004, 05:48 PM
LavenderRott,

Ever consider going to school via correspondence? OR even coming up to Canada! I know its MUCH cheaper to go to school here, the livings costs are cheaper as well! It costs me a $1,000 Cdn per semster! Beats paying $40,000 for a degree!!!!!

Just an idea! Its NEVER too late to go back to school!!!

Joelle

heidiho
October 20th, 2004, 05:52 PM
There is nothing worse than laying awake trying to figure out how to pay this bill or that one,or watching how much you spend at the grocery store on food,how do you survive on less than 300. a week?????????????

Joelle
October 20th, 2004, 06:03 PM
I know its CRAZY expensive up in the states! My sister's working at a vet clinic in NJ getting paid peanuts to work like 100 hour weeks and has to pay like $800/mth for a TINY apartment!!! :eek: I don't know how you guys do it honestly!! Everythings like twice the price and the education :eek: CRAZY!!!

LavenderRott
October 20th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Sorry, won't move to Canada.

My DH goes active duty Army in a little over a month, so money issues should get better. Hopefully, I can sell this darn mobile home and move someplace where the cost of living isn't so high. He reports to Fort Campbell, Kentucky on December 1st and as soon as the house is sold, the kids and I will be moving too. I have been looking at houses there and they are crazy cheap compared to where we live now.

Hopefully, by this time next year, I will be living in Kentucky, working part time (or not at all) and going to school full time. All I have to do is figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Been thinking about animal law.

krdahmer
October 20th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Forget School! Screw Workin! Get yourself a handsome and hard workin hubby and watch Y&R full time! LMAO

Well it's workin wonders for me.... ;) :rolleyes:

Sneaky2006
October 21st, 2004, 01:53 AM
We've been struggling week to week, on pretty much one income. I know all too much what it's like to lie awake at night thinking of what I'm going to pay with the next check, and more importantly what I'm not going to pay. It really sucks and to think that some star I saw on tv just bought a new pair of shoes worth more than everything I've got times 10 just makes me wanna yack.
But that's ok, I'm going to win the lottery. :) And don't anyone step on this dream! :p

Joelle
October 21st, 2004, 03:53 PM
LavenderRott,

That's some good news. I heard that its gorgeous out in Kentucky!!! (My sister's visited!) And I'm sure that if you go into animal law you won't have any problem working down there with all the horse racing and all! I'm glad to hear you're going back to school! Trust me, it'll be well worth it! :D

krdahmer->

Where you being serious? I've haven't worked since May now and I'm going to school in January...I'm going :eek: NUTS trying to keep myself busy. Luckily, I found a great place to volunteer! :p

LOL!

melanie
October 21st, 2004, 05:25 PM
there is a big difference in returning or going to school (university) btw US and canada and australia though, we have a really good welfare system where you get paid an allowance to study, or be unemployed, or single mother, or mum returning to school (you can even get book scholarships for that).

you get paid enough to survive and get by, when i was at uni i got $400 AU per every 2 weeks, and you can get loans on top of that and they boost your weekly income (you have to pay the loans back, well you cant get them any more as they were a scam, you end up paying 300% interst back, i owe over $30000 in these loans for $14000 that was given over 3yrs, yeah nice one mongrels, so now i still have ot pay even though they odnt do it any more and govt admitted it a scam, aahhh)

unemployed, $450 every 2 weeks, single parent around $800 every 2 weeks and it goes on and can be higher or lower depending on circustances.

but because i am doing post graduate study (masters) i cannot get any payments as they wont fund that, growlllllll.

and in most areas that is enough money to house, cloth and fed most ppl. you can get by on it any way, you also get cheap medicine $3 for a prescription, you get free medical care, dental, and the lot so its easy to survive.

also the government allows you to bill your school costs at university, it is called HECS, so they store it up and you pay it wehn you earn over $25000 py, but i have done 2 degrees at a cost of $5000- $7000 per year, and over 6 yrs that is alot, i dont care though, like im ever going to pay it back, and education should be free so i have no intention of ever caring to make an effort to pay them back, that and the loans i owe over $60000 for my education, ha ha, lol, yeah like they will ever get it back, and they dont really care either. thats just how it goes.

and although i think we have it hard here, i feel so sorry for you guys having to have money to study, your own money like saved and such, that is so unfair and the poor or middle class musnt get much of a chance for higher education, that is a conspiricay if you ask me, just shocking and wrong. education should be free for all if you ask me..

but will only be a student for the next 5 weeks and then my oficial title will be bum, thts right i want to be an unemployed bum for at least 2 weeks and im going to do it like the best bum there is, oh i cant wait (but i dont get unemployed payments as hubby works), but bum for 2 weeks, yeah cant wait :crazy: :party: :party:

and i wish you could all have our system, then you could have the freedom of choice we do :(

heidiho
October 21st, 2004, 06:19 PM
Kentucky is where i moved to get married in january,hated it,beautiful country,but no work,nothing to do,he was never home,i lived in Central City Kentucky though pop..5000...Never again,small town living was not for me...I am with the one who said marry someone with a good job....Amen to that

CyberKitten
October 21st, 2004, 08:10 PM
melanie,

I am a university professor and each province in Canada is unique. (well some may be more unique - in terms of agreements) but the Fiscal Arrangements Act allows the provincial governments to do what they will with transfer payments and other taxation money. That said, I think there are good arguments to be made for both the US and Canadian universities. I find it yough to tell people what to do though except to get as much education as early as you can!

I also changed careers in midlife (Getting more postgrad degrees) and I think you have to be happy in what you do!!!

There are many ways to pay for university. Part time jobs at school, scholarships, teaching assistantships, doing online courses (I have a sister completing her PhD while she works FT - this will be her 5th degree), correspondence, taking classes though this helps if you live in a city with a university.

I do wish more women entered the science professions though! I see so many young women entering university who are not entering those science fields. Unfortunately, a BA (even a BSc) today is rather like what high school was 25 years ago. There are things one can do to improve one's prospects though - great co-op programs, obtaining summer and part time work in your field and so on.

Good luck in your "new" career Joelle! You are still young at 23!

Writing4Fun
October 21st, 2004, 08:29 PM
All I have to do is figure out what I want to be when I grow up.
LOL! I'm in my mid-thirties and I haven't figured that out yet! Seriously, though, have you thought about distance learning? I know a lot of them are cheesy, but the legit colleges and universities also offer them. Hey, you might even be able to come to school in Canada without leaving your living room!

Good luck to everyone who's out there trying to "find their bliss" (quoting "Dharma & Greg" here).

Joelle
October 21st, 2004, 11:05 PM
LOL! You guys are great! But seriously :P I think we have it pretty sweet up in Canada. ESPECIALLY Quebec=> Apart the annoying and stupid seperatist talk that pops up (hate those hypercritical pompos incompetent moronic politians) The school system's great..we're very much funded, so going to school up here is cheap! I mean I think I pay less for University then I did for College (known as CEGEP).

Cyberkitten => Thanks! I do hold a D.E.C (college degree) in Health Sciences BUT ORGANIC CHEMISTRY... :eek: Couldn't get around the spatial orientation thing...ugh...that was a turn off for me...couldn't do science after. You gotta LOVE science to do...Its a whole lota work!!! But my sister did it...she has a B.Sc. in Animal Science AND she' s a horse vet ...NINE years of university! :eek:

:)

krdahmer
October 22nd, 2004, 12:28 AM
krdahmer->

Where you being serious? I've haven't worked since May now and I'm going to school in January...I'm going :eek: NUTS trying to keep myself busy. Luckily, I found a great place to volunteer! :p

LOL!

LMAO...well I was partly serious....I haven't missed much Y&R in the past 14 years actually! :eek: But no I don't plan to do any more school or go back to work and I've been off for about a year and a half.... I fill my time now with things I want to do like volunteering with the Alzheimer's Society and fostering kittens and feral cats. And I may not be making the big bucks like I was, but man do I feel better about myself, I'm working where I am needed. It's not the life for everyone though...just always been a dream of mine....now we are working on kids too, so I can add volunteering at the kids school! :D ;)

CyberKitten
October 22nd, 2004, 01:22 PM
I loved organic and bichem Joelle, lol (Just shows we are all different). Now analytical was not that much fun. I was thinking more about the hard sciences like computer sci for ex. I returned to get my PhD in computer science (after working in health professions) and while more women are entering medicine and law, so few are entering engineering and computer science.

We do have it great in Canada but not as good as some other countries. The past three summers, I taught in Ireland and university tuition there is free. (Not free in the sense that people pay for it with taxes but you know what i mean). NZ also offers free tuition. It is to level the playing field. In Ireland it is a recent move and is one of the key factors in the country becoming the Celtic Tiger!!

But my nephew is at MIT where he pays $30,000 and that is just for tuition. Fortunately he lives in Boston but he does live in residence. (I do think living away from home is part of the university experince). Harvard and MIT and some of the other Ivy Leagues were here last week recruting (for grad school) and there are many ways to pay for university. I did an MSW at Smith College in Mass (one of the better MSW schools) and it was costly but I came out of university with my first doctoral degree owing NO money (Scholarships, teaching assistantships, many PT jobs and great parents!!)

You can also conact your MP about student loans if you are turned down. (I do that on behalf of students and it has brought great results!!)

What will you study?

Joelle
October 22nd, 2004, 01:44 PM
krdahmer,

I must apologize as I think volunteering is always very much needed and most people don't have the time or the willingness to do so. I mean this is my first volunteering experience in 23 years...not such a great track record! :love: But I can't imagine not doing it now! The people are great and you get a sense of pride doing something because you really want to help out rather then just getting a pay out. So I do have alot of admiration for people that stay at home but help out others b/c they have the motivation! Not everyone does it, even when they have the avail. time ...Trust me!

Cyberkitten,
You sound so young to have all those degrees!!! :eek: You must be another one like my sister! Genius! :D Actually I'm going from one end of the spectrum to the other. I have a B.Comm in Finance and now I'm going into Psychology! (But Psychology is really something that I LOVE to study!) I find human behaviour super interesting! I want to get my Master and PhD so I can practice!!! :crazy: You have a PhD in Computer Science...you'd get along with my boyfriend...he's a total computer geek!!! Hey, did you that Softchoice (software re-seller) has a doggy policy saying that you can bring you dog to work?! That's why he went to work there!!! :p

Joelle

CyberKitten
October 22nd, 2004, 06:27 PM
I wanted to add that we need more people willing to volunteer. I volunteer quite a lot (hospital stuff, animal rescue, family violence issues, a few other organizations mostly to uphold my medical and social work background I guess) and we would be a sad place without so many wonderful volunteers. Some universities will now give credit for volunteer work but I really wish the government would honour this work by say giving a tax credit. It's probably wishful thinking.

Joelle, I think it is wonderful you are going back into psych! We need more psychologists actually, especially in the clinical area. (Call me if you need a job in the pediatric area, <g>)

I am no genius and I wish I was younger, lol I do like studying and school a lot though!! I ended up in comp sci after major surgery. I had time off from my work as Director of a Well Women Clinic and decided to spend the time by talking my way into a grad program. (Computer programming had been a hobby ad even though I had taught myself alot, it is not the same as the exchange of ideas with others who know more, <g>) So, the rest if history as they say.

I did not give up practising medicine completely though and serve on a large hospital board. A lot of Governance stuff but some oncology work with kids that can be graifying and sad all the same time, sigh!

I do research in the area of biotech (which has opened a number of doors and very interesting opportunities). So, I am actively engaged in the practical app of computers in medicine as well as telemedicine and distance medicine. We already did surgery on someone in northern NB with the surgeon in Saint John and the the patient 600 plus km away. It was soooo kewl!! I also teach internet programming languages tho and am also interested in the ethics of all this new frontier. I also teach other doctors about the application of tech in their work. I am having great fun and getting paid for it. I think that is the best definition of doing what you want!!

That said, there are days I think about getting a Vet degree, haha I seem to be a magnet for animals in need of help.

I am thrilled to hear your bf can bring his dog to work. I brought my bunny to work (and when I finally get a Siamese kitty), she or he will also come with me. So many tech firms have excellent policies about that and pets do wonders to relax people. I have a friend who is a gynecologist and he brings his dog to work and people talk to the pooch while in the waiting room. He insists BP levels are much lower among his patients and I am willing to bet he is correct!!

I do wish you well with your psych degrees!! You are wise to take the opportunity while you can. That said, I have a student who is older than me (she's 50) who worked all her life as a radiology tech and is now embarking on an undergrad comp sci degree. I think she is brave and what she is doing is so very kewl!!!

Bye for now!!

melanie
October 24th, 2004, 05:11 PM
in australia it is more the pure and environmental sciences where woman suffer, it is a male dominated field and i tell you it is hard to get a job as a woman here, we also have what is called a 'brain drain' as the australian govt sees more reward in funding sports and such than science. so most of our brains and great scientist are going to america where they can get jobs.

i assumed that canada was like america with education, that idea of being in there on your own, but canada sounds fair enough, we just get alot of freebies, but they (govt) wont fund a PHD for me, the university has to do that. but as a female they are a bit reserved about the idea, once we turn 30yo at uni the funding stops, your expected to have babies didnt you know (sarcasm) so they consider it a watse of money, a friend was recently asked by the dean of my uni when she was planning a family, i bet they take away her funding soon.

they offered me funding for a PHD but my supervisor wanted to know when i was planning a family, and they told me that i had to decide before i started, i sort of understand, sipmly if i dont follow through on the study it does not look good on their records, so no PHD next yr, but i figure i will leave it for a few yrs, im only 28.(pressure to perform from father living vicariously through me so hard to make that decision :D ). and there is no point in applying for a scholarship here if your a normal young aussie gal, now if your a buff football player the story is different, but they recently told me not to even bother applying as i would not get one, thank god i have a nice partner to help., (can get some work but it is hard to find and does not last long).

cyberkitty, got any jobs at your uni?? :D there aint none here and im about to finish my masters, so need job soon ahhhhh :o :rolleyes:

but there are not enough woman in science, and the whole field here is so male dominated, it is really awful, not that i dont think men cant do the job, but i need one too as do all my girl friends.

but guess what? i have 5 weeks to go and i am handing it in, oh boy i am feeling so nervous, i get butterflies thinking about finishing, deep breath and type, type, type.......