Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick from the dog park

Angelwolf
October 19th, 2004, 06:51 PM
One of my puppies has gotten very sick... I guess you could say that because I had three dogs growing up that never had their shots and rarely got sick, I naively assumed that I didn't have to get mine vaccinated... BIG MISTAKE!!! Gaby has influenza-we think she developed it from visiting the dog park on a very regular basis. Our other dog, a doberman, has had his shots from his previous owners and is fine, so now we know... My question is, how many shots do puppies need and when? Gaby is in the vet over night getting treatment and I don't know when to give her her shots or if the doberman needs his again?!
Any info would be helpful...

sue fox
October 19th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Your vet wil give you all this info. Usually 3 rounds by 16wks. than annually to bi-annually including rabies. The rabies in our area is now 2yrs. and the other vaccinations, this can be a very controversial subject. I know because our Roxie(pts Aug.18/04) had her booster than 5 days later became deathly ill with AIHA(auto-immune hemolytic anemia). Anyway you can have a titer test done yrly instead to see if vaccine is still present in animal.
I'm sure there will be lots to discuss on this subject as when my beloved Roxie became sick I surfed the net and became much more informed on the subject boy if only I'd known. Roxie still would have died of cancer but propably would have lived a few more yrs. And I would have given anything for that time :( :( sad sad
So ask your vet. I believe all dogs should have initial vaccinations than titer tests with yrly check up. Just my opinion you guys (in advance) :p
Sue

melanie
October 19th, 2004, 07:54 PM
in australia it is 4 shots before 6mths and regular boosters yearly, if you dont have these shots you can not take you dog to day care of boarding or dog school or many other places. i always get my girls shots as i once watched a pup die from parvo and it broke my heart and was unnecessary as a shot would have saved her.

i do know of farmes who do the initial 4 shots and then dont do follow ups and most of their dogs live.

also when pups are new borns they are protected because of the mothers shots.

BMDLuver
October 19th, 2004, 09:22 PM
By 6 months of age, prior to neutering it is suggested that the dog have received:

1 Rabies
2 D2App
2 Leptospiros
2 Bordetella

The following year the dog will then need:
1 Rabies
1 D2App
1 Leptospiros
1 Bordetella

By year two it is recommended to only booster the Leptospiros and Bordetella annually and to repeat the Rabies and D2App every third year as most vets use IMRAB vaccine which is now good for 3 years. However, as said above you may Titer in order to access if a vaccine is required or not which will become more popular very soon as they debate on to vaccinate or not is becoming more prominent with dog owners.

Hope this helped. This was recommended by our vet through our program with all our dogs.

sue fox
October 19th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Thank You Budluver! I knew it was something like that ;)
Sue