Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

question for moderators about new rules

melanie
October 19th, 2004, 06:11 PM
hi there all, now the new rules look good and you ahve putsome great stuff in there but what i would like to know is this

quote from new rules "deliberately rude to other members is not permitted on this site which is often used "

what is being deliberatly rude? how is the tone of posts assessed?? and if a post is considered deliberatly rude but that was not the intention of the poster and they are banned will they be given a chance to defend their post or intentions?? or is it just up to the moderator reading it to determine what they consider rude?

example- say someone has just reccomended a dangerous procedure as a home remedy and are continuing to tout it as a cure, and i call the a ruddy fool is that deliberatly rude or is that jsut an obvious statement of fact??

please believe me when i say im not being a pain, im just a little in the dark about that area of the rules and i dont want to be kicked of for a simple mistake or a passionate moment.

thanks guys

moontamara
October 19th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Once banned, can that person be allowed back on after a certain amount of time (maybe on some kind of "probation" at first?) Also, I still think the name "Ask the Vet" is misleading. If they read the guidelines carefully it will be obvious, but many people sad ly (obviously) do not. I remember one poster actually writing "You're the vet" to someone who is definitely not a vet but had offered her help. It's confusing to some. Is it possible to change that name to something like Health Issues?

Lucky Rescue
October 19th, 2004, 09:13 PM
what is being deliberatly rude?

I don't make the rules, but I would say that calling someone "stupid" or "an idiot" or using personal insults would considered to be deliberately rude. :p

Moontamara - the vets on this forum used to be here very often but lately are not. I was thinking this very thing and I agree with you that perhaps another name for the forum might help, and may stop people seeking advice here for pets who are seriously ill or injured. We can only hope!

Stewart
October 20th, 2004, 04:32 AM
[QUOTE=melanie]hi there all, now the new rules look good and you ahve putsome great stuff in there but what i would like to know is this

quote from new rules "deliberately rude to other members is not permitted on this site which is often used "

what is being deliberatly rude? how is the tone of posts assessed?? and if a post is considered deliberatly rude but that was not the intention of the poster and they are banned will they be given a chance to defend their post or intentions?? or is it just up to the moderator reading it to determine what they consider rude?

example- say someone has just reccomended a dangerous procedure as a home remedy and are continuing to tout it as a cure, and i call the a ruddy fool is that deliberatly rude or is that jsut an obvious statement of fact??
Hey melanie I know how you feel at times ;) But surely its better to say "well your not takeing a course that any right minded person would" And just leave it there ! ;)

marko
October 20th, 2004, 08:43 AM
All we want to do is protect the integrity of the board. We don't LIKE to censor, ban, discipline etc. In fact it's very frustrating.

NOR do we want to explain the rules through a magnifying glass and form a 'contract' with lawyer like precision. Most of the time people on this board are courteous and it runs well...but we need to let everyone know the rules.
So what can you say and what can't you say? ...what is deliberately rude?
Whatever we define, someone will come back to us and say well what about this scenario...what about that scenario?

I don't make the rules, but I would say that calling someone "stupid" or "an idiot" or using personal insults would considered to be deliberately rude.
I think this is a good guideline.

In general - Taking a breath before you post and rereading posts before you send them would be good ideas. Speak like you wish to be spoken to - also a good idea. Look before you leap! Do unto thy neighbor. It's better to be kind than to be right.

In 5 years maybe 8 people have been banned. So all this concern about getting kicked off is unnecessary. But if more people (mostly newer people) NEED to be warned, banned etc. the rules are there to be enforced and more people are watching. We will not discuss disciplining measures such as banning.

About the ask the vet changing name - good points. I will look into this.

THanks as always,