Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Revenue Canada

raingirl
October 19th, 2004, 04:34 PM
I'm sorry, but I need to vent. I just got a wonderful "birthday present" (today's my b-day)

I just got home today to find a peice of mail from revenue canada saying I owe them money for a "reassessment" that, as I can see, was due to THEIR error!! Ok. Fine..if they made an error, and if they overpaid me because of an error, I have no problems paying it back, but it says it's due tomorrow, and I only got it today! Plus, I don't have the money right now (it's a largish sum...more than my rent!)!!

And of course their offices are closed already, can't call to figure it out until tomorrow.

Gosh, if I owe them money back, the least they could do is give me 30 days to pay it or something!!! And why should I pay interest if it was their error? As far as I'm concerned, they should just deduct it from my refund next year.

Sorry...I'm just freaking out a little...nice present huh??

:mad:

raingirl
October 19th, 2004, 04:39 PM
sorry bout that..I needed to get something out since I can't call and complain to revenue canada directly and I'm home alone right now...

I think I'm past the "teary" stage into the full out "swearing" stage...tomorrow they are going to get an earful!

mastifflover
October 19th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Happy B'Day Great timing on their part. I think they have to give you a certain amount of time to pay it back and if not if you don't have they can wait. I am sure they did not send you your tax refund the day after they got it and besides it was there mistake. They will wait trust me on this I make them wait for my taxes every year. They need your money for the proposed ban dont send any.

raingirl
October 19th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks. It was a nice b-day until now. At least I still get Chinese tonight (Mmmm take out) and Smallville (Mmmm Lex Luthor)! And I still have 2 presents to open!

hahaha. I like that. "I will not send you money because you will use it to ban pitbulls!!"

I wonder if that would work!!

mastifflover
October 19th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Can't hurt to try hit them where it hurts in the wallet. Seems that is the only time they notice us

GsdDiamond
October 19th, 2004, 05:38 PM
First off, look at the date of the letter. What is it dated?
If it were me, I'd be on the phone tomorrow so fast their operator wouldn't know what hit them.
The first thing out of my mouth would be "Who's in charge of sending out notices?" Once you find out, "I need to speak with them, voice-mail will not do."
Find out their policy as far as sending out payment notices. Is it normal practice for them to reassess a return and then demand payment when they find out they made an error?

Let them know, you don't have a problem with repaying the error THEY made, but it will have to be on a more reasonable timeline.

If you're too nasty with them, they may schedule you for an audit. Just be firm enough with them to let them know it was THEIR mistake in the first place. If they hadn't told you of the error, you wouldn't have noticed. After all, isn't it their final word we count on when we file our taxes? To be fair, suggest a very reasonable repayment schedule and ask for no interest as would happen if you really owed them money.

But, then again, this is MY opinion. You may or may not like to do things this way. This is how I would do it. Many people I know wouldn't do it this way.

raingirl
October 20th, 2004, 07:44 AM
I called right away but it was busy and has been so far all morning!! I don't have the time to call every five minutes to see if the line is free! This is so frusterating.

The letter was dated...September 30, 2004. I got it yesterday...I have no faith in Canada Post anymore (I send something within Toronto, and it too 3 weeks, ususally it would only take 2 days but lately mail sucks!!).

When I was young and naive I had trust in people and things, the older I get I lose more and more faith...

raingirl
October 20th, 2004, 11:12 AM
I have been calling again and again all morning!! ALWAYS BUSY!!

GsdDiamond
October 21st, 2004, 10:03 AM
Log onto the Revenue Canada website and find an e-mail feedback link. Who knows, there may also be another phone number for you to call too.

mastifflover
October 21st, 2004, 10:06 AM
Just send them a letter through snail mail too bad for them they wont do anything. That would require doing something and this is one of the laziest branches of gov't.

raingirl
October 21st, 2004, 10:20 AM
I called the "repayment" line and spoke with someone really nice. I advised her that I couldn't get though to the other line to advise them of the error. She said her computer has a new notice of reassessment that was to be mailed Oct. 22, which fixes the error!! She said to ignore the first letter!!

I got her name and info just in case though, so if they penalize me for not paying.

She also advised me that overdue amounts with revenue canada don't affect your credit rating! That was nice to hear.

GsdDiamond
October 21st, 2004, 10:44 AM
So you owe them nothing??? Excellent!!!!! :crazy:

raingirl
October 21st, 2004, 10:54 AM
I don't know what they changed, and whether I will owe anything after the next letter, as she said that her computer didn't say that.

I will have to wait and see.

mastifflover
October 21st, 2004, 10:55 AM
hopefully you will not have to give them anything

Writing4Fun
October 21st, 2004, 12:40 PM
I took almost a full year to repay them once. I believe the amount of interest they charge is very minimal - like I owed them an extra $7 after the year. So even if you do wind up owing them, don't worry about having to pay it all back at once. They're usually pretty good about payment plans and stuff like that. :)