- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Another Newspaper Story Pitbills

October 19th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Some people do realize it is not the bred but the owners fault how the dogs act.

Township powerless to control pit bulls South Dundas mayor


Sun Media

BRINSTON -- The mayor of South Dundas says there is next to nothing the township can do to control a pit bull that bit a canvasser in the face last week.

"We haven't got the authority to do anything right now," South Dundas Mayor Lyle Van Allen said. "It's up to the police and the person that got bit to lay the charges."

Canvasser William MacMillan was going door-to-door for charity in Brinston, a small community north of Morrisburg, when a pit bull charged through a front door and attacked him.

MacMillan needed stitches to close a wound to his lip. He was also bitten on the torso before the dog's owner was able to pull the animal away.

While Morrisburg OPP have launched an investigation under the Dog Owner's Liability Act into Thursday's incident, Van Allen said he hopes to raise the issue at Tuesday's township council meeting in Williamsburg.

Van Allen said the township has a bylaw dealing with the care and control of dogs, but only if they leave the owner's property.

"I can't understand anybody that has a dog that is an attack-type dog such as a pit bull," said Van Allen. "I would hate to have my neighbour or my neighbour's child come into my yard and have him or her mauled by a pit bull or a Rottweiler."

Van Allen said he believes council should consider a bylaw that puts "more onus ... on the animal owner."

"If my dog bites my neighbour, I think I should be held responsible for that," he said.

While the province is proceeding with legislation later this month to ban pit bulls and put dogs under severe restrictions, MacMillan said more needs to be done on the local level to protect innocent people.

"To me, the dog is a menace. You put criminals behind bars if they are a menace," he said. "Who is going to protect the children? It's time the politicians started waking up."

Van Allen said he thinks the province's ban will run into the same problems Williamsburg councillors ran into two decades ago when they tried to ban pit bulls.

Van Allen said that bylaw wasn't adopted because there would be too many "headaches" trying to enforce it.

"What if the pit bull is only 75 per cent pit bull and the other 25 per cent is some other breed? Do you ban that as well?" asked Van Allen, adding public sentiment was also against the ban.

"A lot of people felt that it is the owner rather than the dog that creates the problem," he said.

A message left with the Brinston dog's owner was not returned.

# Published in Section A, page 1 in the Monday, October 18, 2004 edition of the Brockville Recorder & Times.
# Posted 4:37:30 PM Monday, October 18, 2004.

October 19th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Well isnt that what we have been saying all along responsible ownership

October 19th, 2004, 02:27 PM
So why are the pitbulls the one to suffer. I see the MP is not hearing the people again.

October 19th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Now that is a good Mayor. The Mayor of Ottawa supports Bryant, although he has stated that it would not be at " the top of my priorities".