Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

atificial sweeteners!!

lilith_rizel
October 19th, 2004, 12:23 PM
For those who don't know, arificial sweeteners contain aspartame. It is found in diet pop, sugar free candies, and CHILDRENS VITAMINS!
About 2 years ago, my grandmother died from cancer. She drank diet pop her entire life. The doctors at Mayo-clinic said that aspartame has been known to cause cancer. Therfore, I did a search, just to see how bad this stuff really is. I thought that some of you would like to know. It is horrible. Read it PLEASE. If nothing else, read the symptoms, most of the rest, you will have to scroll up to read.

http://www.dorway.com/badnews.html#symptoms

Sneaky2006
October 19th, 2004, 03:14 PM
I wonder if this applies to Splenda?

lilith_rizel
October 19th, 2004, 03:17 PM
That is what I have been seaching for online today.

Does anyone have a box of splenda, that they can check what's in it?? :D

Sneaky, if I find anything, I will let you know.

jackieb
October 19th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Does it say what foods theese are found in??????????

Sneaky2006
October 19th, 2004, 03:23 PM
I did have a box, but I put it in a container now.

http://www.splenda.com/page.jhtml;jsessionid=LDKG2IGHRXCPWCQPCB3SUZYKB2II WNSC?id=splenda/products/prodinfo.inc

I was just wondering about it because it is an artificial sweetener, but it is made from real sugar... but chemicals have got to be used? :confused:

lilith_rizel
October 19th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Aspartame is very common in diet beverages, and my husband found it in children's vitamins!! I was taking those because my prenatal vitamins would make me sick, but I switched back, just because I don't want to be giving my unborn child something that causes cancer!! It can also be found in some yogurts, and other diet foods that normally contain sugar. If it is a big concern for you, I would just start checking lables and see if it contains it.

As far as splenda I am still looking to see if it has it in it or not.

lilith_rizel
October 19th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Splenda is sucralose. Try searching under that. You may come up with something.

lilith_rizel
October 19th, 2004, 03:44 PM
I just found out that another name for aspartame is nutrasweet.

He is a link to information on splenda. i will still search for more

http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/

http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/sucralose_dangers.htm

krdahmer
October 19th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Splenda is a derivitive of sugar...and supposed to be much better than the Nutrasweet and Aspertame. Some diet pops are already switching over. I have many diabetics in my family (I'm on the verge too) and it is great for baking etc.

Sneaky2006
October 20th, 2004, 01:38 AM
I've been using Splenda (recommended for a low carb diet) for a while now... I will never go back to nutrasweet, I just couldn't get over that aftertaste, it tastes just like what it is, a chemical.
It's great for baking because of the non-chemical taste but also because it measures cup for cup like sugar and can withstand the high temps.

Mysts38
October 20th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Aspartame is a nasty nasty chemical...when I started to use it as a replacement for sugar..it sent me into wicked headaches,nausea etc..and when I stopped using it I was fine..this is called an allergic reaction and its very common with aspartame

As for splenda..when I started the South Beach Diet over 6 months ago I started to use splenda..as the SBD restricts the intake of any sugars for 2 weeks..well Splenda sent my blood sugar soaring..its a sugar derivative,and the body doesnt know the diff between sugar and splenda...it will spike your insulin

I now use Stevia,which is an herb that has been used for hundreds of years by the natives of brazil.....it tastes like sugar and doesnt spike insulin..

Sneaky2006
October 20th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Splenda doesn't affect me that way... but I heard Stevia is better as far as taste goes and way more concentrated.

CyberKitten
October 20th, 2004, 11:22 AM
This does NOT apply to Splenda. Splenda is sucralose and significantly different than aspertame. I stopped using aspertame when I discovered it broke down in the body into fermeldehyde. I did not need THAT in my body. None of us do!!

Plus, you can cook with Splenda and it is much tastier than aspertame. Even before the advent of Splenda, I would drink regular soft drinks since I hated the taste of diet coke. (But I try not to drink too much of the stuff) Now if coke would only use Splenda, lol (Or is it in the C2 stuff? That did not taste too bad but I still like the real thing, pun intnded)

Aspertame has been linked to a plethora of problems, cancer being one of the more serious.

moontamara
October 20th, 2004, 08:15 PM
As for splenda..when I started the South Beach Diet over 6 months ago I started to use splenda..as the SBD restricts the intake of any sugars for 2 weeks..well Splenda sent my blood sugar soaring..its a sugar derivative,and the body doesnt know the diff between sugar and splenda...it will spike your insulin.

Really? Does that mean it isn't actually any better for you, just less calories than sugar??? How disappointing!

CyberKitten
October 20th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Hi again,

No, sucralose or splenda (Go to http://www.splenda.com for more info) has NO calories. It has been a great boon to diabetics. I only discovered it because a friend in the US was unable to get there until recently (if you were a diabetic you could get it directly from the company) so I used to send her some from Canada.

It has tested well in clinical trials and is so much safer than aspertame - which is linked all manner of problems and illnesses. It is available now in the US in retail stores. Its one downside is that it is a little more expensive than aspertame but the cost is not an insignificant factor in one's health!

I checked C2 today and it does have aspertame. So much for that!! Now if they'd only make a cola with splenda!!

The best part is you can male jam and use it in place of sugar in recipes.

Diabetics (and I am not one, just like to watch my sugar intake) are especially thrilled with splenda.

Hope this info helps.

Sneaky2006
October 20th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Diet Rite brand soda uses Splenda and they have cola.... Don't know if it's available where you are though.Really? Does that mean it isn't actually any better for you, just less calories than sugar??? How disappointing! I believe it goes by person to person... Splenda did not have the same affects on me as sugar (did not get a sugar high and had no cravings at all on it) but it did for my sister.

CyberKitten
October 20th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Re: Diet Rite

Where do you live? Sounds wonderful. <g> My parents winter in Florida, I wonder if they can get it there for me? Or if they have it in Maine which is close to me. (I am assuming you are in the US, lol)

I cannot say I experienced a sugar high from Splenda but it did taste great for me! In fact, it is so sweet that I use only half a tsp for coffee and the same amount if I remember to add it to cereal.

I like it best for cooking!

Thanks for the info!!

Sneaky2006
October 20th, 2004, 08:47 PM
I am in the US, Pennsylvania. :)
www.dietrc.com
I think there's a phone number in the FAQs... I can't copy from the page.

CyberKitten
October 20th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Thanks!! I did find a place in Calif where you can order it online but I will look for something closer! <g>

Ex: https://www.sodapopstop.com/home.cfm

Thanks again!!

CyberKitten
October 20th, 2004, 08:52 PM
I was searching since your post and also discovered this. Now I have been a coke person ALL of my life but I am definitely going to try this pepsi Edge stuff:

http://www.carbwire.com/2004/03/09/pepsi

I uses splenda!! Amazing! Perhaps I'll write to coke, lol

Thanks again!

Sneaky2006
October 20th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Since you're not in the US, I am assuming you can't call that number... I can call them tomorrow if you can give me a zip code in Maine, or Florida, where ever you'll be able to get it easier. They said it's shipped to stores all over the US, so maybe you can get it in Maine.

Sneaky2006
October 20th, 2004, 08:55 PM
I don't know your reasoning for choosing a low calorie/low carb soda but the pepsi edge will still have pretty many calories and probably 10-15 carbs per serving.

CyberKitten
October 20th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Oops, I did not notice (reading too fast as usual) that the Pepsi product still has calories, sigh!! But I'd like to try it just to see what it tastes like.

Zip in Fla is 32690 (Clearwater area)

I tend to stay away from too many calories but indulge with a coke now and then. I am not diabetic but am aware soft drinks are just water and sugar. Alas, I still like my coke, lol

Thanks again!

Sneaky2006
October 20th, 2004, 09:30 PM
No prob! I will reply tomorrow with an answer about availability in Fla.

If I drank soda (I drink presweetened icy tea, just as bad, believe me) I would go for pepsi... don't know why, just tastes better to me. :)

moontamara
October 20th, 2004, 10:22 PM
hmm, interesting thread.

Cyberkitten and Sneaky -- do you have to use special recipes when you cook/bake with Splenda? Or can you just substitute sugar with splenda? If my do just substitute, how much Splenda do you use (for example, if the recipe calls for one cup of sugar, do you just use a cup of splenda instead?) I'm not diabetic either, but I have noticed some terrible effects from sugar -- and I have a serious sweet tooth.

Cyberkitten, getting off soda completely would be even better for your health. It's not just the sugar that make soft drinks hard on your system. I used to have some good links about this... I'll try to find them. Of course, I'm not lecturing, just suggesting!!!

moontamara
October 21st, 2004, 12:01 AM
Here are some, but they aren't that great -- they wreak a little of hype... Notice though that phosphoric acid is the main dangerous ingredient after sugar, according to these sources. I can't vouch for their validity, and I do know that giving up soda pop is not much easier than giving up cigarrettes! Just something to keep in mind!

For me, my downfall is chocolate... sugar AND high fat, although the cocoa itself isn't supposed to be too bad!
http://www.thecompounder.com/SoftDrinksDanger.html
http://www.nutritionreallyworks.com/Soda.html
http://creativehealth.netfirms.com/soda_dangers.shtml

Sneaky2006
October 21st, 2004, 01:15 AM
Moon, Splenda measures cup for cup just like sugar. And it can hold up and act just like sugar under high temps.
If you haven't acquired a taste to these types of sweeteners I would suggest starting out by using half sugar/half Splenda and see what you think, from there use more and more Splenda till sugar is phased out completely.
You may also want to try Stevia, I am pretty sure you can use it for cooking as well, but it is very concentrated in liquid form (last I knew) and a few drops could very well equal a cup of sugar. I do not know the exact measurements. Hope this helped some. :)

CyberKitten
October 21st, 2004, 01:50 PM
Moontamara,

Thanks for the tips. I know all too well (I have an advanced degree in a medical profession though I am not practcing it at the moment - went off into another career direction <g>) but I think I may be addicted to coke. I once ran an addictions center and people can really be addicted. But I do not drink coke that often so do not worry too much about it. (Perhaps I should!) I always think of that old tale about coke eating rust! I hate diet stuff with aspertame and up will a few years ago, abhored water. I now drink bottled water much more frequently. I certainly always gave my pets bottled water. (I am between pets at the moment - my 13 year old bun died and I am in the process of adopting a Siamese cat)

AS for Splenda, I too use about the same amount as sugar but occasionally a little less, depending on the recipe. I find Splenda much sweeter than sugar and so you really do not need as much. You do need the amount for consistency and how the batter turns out though, if you are baking cookies for example. For cookies, only replace the white granulated sugar if brown sugar is called for.

Also watch the oven since cookies or baked goods with Splenda tend to cook a little faster.

I se splenda to make jam and it does come out just slightly thinner. The gel to make jam (can't recall the name just now, product that is 1/3 of regular calories) has a great recipe to use splenda with. There are also good recipes on the Splenda web site itself. (www.splenda.com)

There are also some recipes using Splenda here:

http://www.detour23.com/dietrecipes/

I hope this helps!

Sneaky2006
October 21st, 2004, 04:20 PM
CK, with that zip you gave me, it didn't come up at all. Not that they don't have it there but it seemed to not exsist. :confused:
But she did give me zips for Clearwater with 2 stores that carry it...

Cash and Carry
1861 North Highland Avenue
Clearwater, FL

Albertsons
1295 South Missouri Avenue
Clearwater, FL

Hope you know of these places :)

CyberKitten
October 21st, 2004, 04:55 PM
It is my faukt, I mistyped the zip. It was 34690 but I do know where at least one of those stores so perhaps I can get one of my folks to send me some of the stuff.

Thanks again!!!!

moontamara
October 21st, 2004, 07:07 PM
Thanks you two!

Cyberkitten, thanks for taking my suggestions in stride!

I'll check those recipes!