Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Dog is peeing on carpet

SarahLynn123
October 19th, 2004, 10:17 AM
I am running into problems with my newly adopted dog Belle. A 6 year old ****erspaniel X. She will pee on the carpet on occasion. She goes outside a couple times every morning, at lunch then on a regular basis at night until we go to bed. Every now and then she will pee on the carpet. Its impossible to catch her in the act, so I cant punish her. I have tried locking her in the kitchen with her crate and toys and she crys and crys, I can hear her outside as Im leaving. Im not sure about leaving her in a crate while im gone to work and at night, because she was abused and neglected before I adopted her and I think it would scare and upset her even more. Is there anything I can do to stop her, and should I just lock her in the kitchen and let her cry or go about it a different way?
Thanks
Sarah

LavenderRott
October 19th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Quick couple of questions to help better answer your question.

When you put the dog in the kitchen before you leave, what is your attitude? Are you matter of fact and business like, or do you talk in either a sad voice or a happy voice?

Is she peeing in the house at night and that is why you can't catch her in the act?

Lucky Rescue
October 19th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Have you had her checked for any urinary tract or bladder infections?

If she is fine, the problem may be that she doesn't know how to ask to go outside!

I don't know what your idea of "punishment" is, but do not punish this dog in any way. Since she was abused and sounds submissive, this will make the problem much worse.

Here is a little article on teaching dogs to ask to go out. You can see if this sounds like your dog.

----------------------------------------------------

Some dogs haven't figured out how to ask to go out. They are probably giving you subtle body language that you don't or can't see. Perhaps they just walk around nervously; perhaps they sit quietly beside the back door.

The main symptoms of this are: you find the pile or puddle later. It is either right next to the door through which the dog usually goes out, or as far as possible from the main room (where you and the dog spend the most time). In the first case, the dog is trying to get it as close as possible to the "right" place. In the other, the dog is not hiding from you, as you might think, but keeping it as far as possible away from the main living area, in an effort to be clean.

Train the dog to ring a bell! Hang some kind of bell from the doorknob, at the dog's nose level. Every time you take the dog out, pat the dog's muzzle, then push the bell to make it ring. Immediately open the door. If your dog will not resist, gently push his/her muzzle into the bell. (Some dogs dislike having their muzzles handled.)

Once the dog learns that the door opens when the bell rings, you will have to be patient. There will be a period where the dog is experimenting, to see if it's really true that the door opens every time the bell rings. You will have to insure that it does, which means you will have to take the dog out a lot more than normal. Some dogs will keep this up much longer than others.

Listen to your instincts; let them tell you when it is all right to tell the dog, "Wait."

SarahLynn123
October 19th, 2004, 10:41 AM
I suppose its more like buisness when I put her in the kitchen, would it be better to be a little playful when I do it?

She pees either at night or when Im at work, Once she did it when I was in the next room.

I didnt mean punish her like hurt her in anyway, just catch her so I can say no and put her outside immediatly.

I will definatly give the bell a try and see how that works. I also took her for her first vet visit yesterday, and she seems to be quite healthy just skinny. The vet figures she may still be adjusting to the new home. Its only been 6 or so days since she has been with us.

Thanks for your help
Sarah

SarahLynn123
October 19th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Oh right and the longest she has to hold it for is through the night, we are up at 6am to let her out, she usually does her buisness when we are at work, and I come home every lunch to let her out, so its about 5 hours in the house to hold it during the day. Am I expecting too much?
Thanks

LavenderRott
October 19th, 2004, 11:04 AM
When you are leaving, it is best to leave as matter of factly as possible. No big fuss, no sweetness and lite. Just your standard, off to work, here is your toy kind of thing. Same thing when you get home. Come in, sort through the daily mail, kick off your shoes before greeting the pupper.

As for peeing at night, pick up the water dish a couple of hours before bed and a last walk before tucking in for the night.

Works well for my DH! LOL!

Lucky Rescue
October 19th, 2004, 11:07 AM
You've only had this dog 6 days. When I first adopted my dog, she was 2, and did have a few pee accidents in the house for the first 2 weeks. She just wasn't sure about things, didn't know how to ask to go out and was just generally disoriented.

Just keep your dog on a strict schedule and never put her out but take her out so that you can PRAISE like crazy when she pees outside.

Since she is not overly confident, I would not let her have the run of the house for now. It may be too overwhelming for her. Confine her when you go out. If she doesn't pee if she is gated in the kitchen, or a laundry room, then keep her there for now. Gradually give her more freedom in the house, one room at a time, if possible.

koda's Mom
October 19th, 2004, 12:13 PM
We also had the same problem with our dog Koda. He is almost 2, and we adopted him in July of this year. He would constantly pee on the carpet no matter what I did for about 1 month. We were all very upset about it and tried very hard not to show our distress to Koda. It was in the end just him getting use to us and us to him. Now he goes to the door everytime he needs to go out, and just recently he lets out a little bark, different then his other bark to tell us he is at the door. I don't know how that happened but it works for us. We did do a lot of the "crazy praise" dancing when he did go to the bathroom outside, also being very consistant about leaving through the same door everytime. I am glad that finally we all got it because I know how hard it is to be cleaning up pee on the carpet all the time. :crazy:

SarahLynn123
October 19th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Im sure she will come around eventually, she has made amazing progress in the last 6 days alone.
Thanks
Sarah

lilith_rizel
October 19th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Sarah, our dog Cano, 8 months old, still has accidents. He hasn't really learned how to ask to be let out, when he needs to go, yet. He is starting to get the drift to either go to the door, or whine, but he doesn't always remember to do this. It is something he has just started to figure out. We still take his water away a couple hours before bedtime, and if he gets super thirsty for some reason, we give him a couple ice cubes to chew on, he loves them, but we always stay right by him, to supervise him while eating them, just incase, he would get one caught in his throat, but it hasn't happend yet, and we give them to him as special treats now too. He goes nuts over them.

Give your dog some time. Praise her like crazy when she does good, and just a simple no when she does bad. Since she has been abused, she needs lots of loving. Show her that you won't harm her, and that she can trust you and love you, and that she can expect the same trust and love from you. punish her in any hurtful way, I know you said you wouldn't. Just a simple no should do. Once she has gained your trust, she will be so happy to have found someone that really loves her, that she should straighten right up, and want to please you in everything she does.

As far as the crating, put the crate right next to your bed at night. That way, you are still in the same room, and she knows that you are still there. Cano still sleeps in our room in his crate, and we have found out on nights that his crate is downstairs, out of our room, he doesn't sleep well, and the next day he is so dog-tired that all he wants to do is stay in his cage and sleep.

Writing4Fun
October 19th, 2004, 09:59 PM
He hasn't really learned how to ask to be let out, when he needs to go, yet.
Someone above mentioned teaching the dog to ring a bell. That's what we did with Phoebe, because her cues were so subtle that we missed them most of the time, resulting in accidents. :o It took about a week to get her to ring that bell consistently - what a joy when they finally figure out what you want them to do! party I highly recommend it to anyone whose dog doesn't know how to "ask" to go out. ;)

blaneykj
March 5th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Hi,

I am a new member. I have an 8 year old dog, Stix (Springer Spaniel Husky mix). He has always been great about his "habits", but lately has been ocassionally peeing (and sometimes defecating as well) in the house at night. Last night was another one.

I have been a single parent for 16 years, with two teenaged girls, who both used to live with me week-on-week off. So my dog is used to people coming and going. In the past year my 19 year old, went to live with her Dad full time (to be closer to university) and the other 20 year old spends the odd night sleeping at her boyfriend's house.

It seems like this problem with the peeing at night might have started when the first girl moved out. I have kept a log and noticed that it happens almost exclusively when the second daughter does not come home for the night.

On the surface, this seems nuts, but that is exactly what is happening. There really is nothing I can do about these living arrangements. I am at my whits end, when I get up in the morning and see what I now call "my little gifts", that my dog has left for me.

Any suggestions.....

Lucky Rescue
March 5th, 2005, 09:10 AM
It may just be coincidence that this started when the living arrangements changed.

An 8 year dog who suddenly loses his housetraining should be thoroughly checked out at the vet in case some physical problem is causing this.

blaneykj
March 5th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks for your feedback about the vet. We have an appointment with the vet this coming on Monday, to have his bladder etc. checked. I was also given a referral for an animal behaviour consultation, which I will use if his physical tests are OK. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Thanks,
K

WeeZee
March 6th, 2005, 08:17 AM
blaneykj - SarahLynn123 .. Would it help comfort your dog if you gave him a special people-stinky blanket to keep him near to who he is missing? (especially the kids gone to college, etc.)

The bell!
This is a fabulous idea! We share a house with my ma-in-law and when our pooch goes upstairs to visit, she rarely sees that she is there waiting at the door ... tries to 'knock' but Nanny doesn't hear her.
She has no problem letting us know if she needs to go out on her rope, so we are training her to buzz her way in ... we are installing a big rubber push button to buzz Nanny.

(saves from scratches & dog snot on the doors and windows too!)

Dogs are so smart :)