Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Reply from the MPs!!!

pitbulliest
October 19th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Hey guys...the list of websites with the MP contact info that is on one of the threads..USE IT..I've contacted over 41 of the MPs and have gotten alot of replies back..they're asking for my contact information to keep in touch..and they're saying that they appreciate me sending them some information to look over...this has gotten me quite excited..so keep writing in..the more emails and letters they receive that tells them that we're agains the ban..the better..please guys..don't give up and DO NOT get lazy..lol keep on writing..it'll take 2 or 3 hours of your time..SO WHAT? Give them cold hard facts and win them over..

We can definately make Bryant look stupid.. :thumbs up

Again, here are the sites for the MP contacts:
http://leonarddomino.com/mpp_contact_list.htm
http://olaap.ontla.on.ca/laompp/daCurMbr.do?locale=en

If you have time, contact all of them.. a few a day and you'll be done in no time...I don't wanna sound stupid, but its definately something we need to be doing right now.. :love:

Dukieboy
October 19th, 2004, 09:02 AM
I emailed every last one of them. I haven't received any replies yet. Lets keep at it!!! Good story in the Star yesterday. "vets say they were not consulted".

Luvmypit
October 19th, 2004, 10:38 AM
I emailed about 15 of them and got one response asking me my location because they only deal with certain areas. Keep writing people all we need is a couple of them to look at the facts.

sammiec
October 19th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Is this the letter that you recieved?

Thank you for your e-mail regarding a province-wide ban of pit bulls in
Ontario.

The McGuinty government is concerned about community safety, in particular
the danger pit bulls pose to people and their pets. Letters and media
reports about pit bull attacks have raised questions about whether the
province should consider banning these dogs.

Some legal protections are already in place. Municipalities already can ban
pit bulls under the Municipal Act. For example, the City of Kitchener has a
bylaw prohibiting residents from owning pit bulls.

In addition, a victim of a dog attack can sue the owner, and owners of dogs
that attack individuals may be prosecuted under the Dog Owners' Liability
Act.

The McGuinty government wants to know if further steps should be taken to
keep our communities safe. That's why I've asked my Ministry officials to
look into this issue, in particular whether a province-wide ban of pit bulls
should be put in place. As you know, I want to hear the views of Ontarians.
Please be assured that your views will be taken into consideration in our
review of this important matter.

Thank you for your input on this issue.

Michael Bryant
Attorney General of Ontario
Minister Responsible for Native Affairs
Minister Responsible for Democratic Renewal

Luvmypit
October 19th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Best thing to do is when you have your email ready and all the addresses to the MPPS then copy and paste the addresses in this thread since you already have them in order. That way people don't have to type each and every one then can just copy and paste it.

mastifflover
October 19th, 2004, 10:46 AM
I sent emails to bunch of addys yesterday that I pulled off one of the posts for joe_tascona@ontla.ola.org
jmossop.mpp@liberal.ola.org
mcguinty.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
hhampton-qp@ndp.on.ca
these were all returned to me as failed are these the correct addys.

Dukieboy
October 19th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Cut and paste into the address field. Most of them are good, 10 returns

MPP's

bcrozier.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
bdelaney.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
bduguid.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
bill_murdoch@ontla.ola.org
bmauro.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
bradley.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
cam_jackson@ontla.ola.org
cbentley.mpp@liberal.ola.org
cdicocco.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
cmitchell.mpp@liberal.ola.org
cordiano.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
dcansfield.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
dcaplan.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
dduncan.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
dlevac.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
dmatthews.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
dorazietti.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
dramsay.mpp.kirkland@liberal.ola.org
dzimmer.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
elizabeth_witmer@ontla.ola.org
ernie_eves@ontla.ola.org
ernie_hardeman@ontla.ola.org
frank_klees@ontla.ola.org
garfield_dunlop@ontla.ola.org
gerry_martiniuk@ontla.ola.org
gilles@gillesbisson.com
gkennedy.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
gphillips.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
gsmitherman.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
gsorbara.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
hhampton-qp@ndp.on.ca
jbrownell.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
jerry_ouellette@ontla.ola.org
jgerretsen.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
jim_flaherty@ontla.ola.org
jim_wilson@ontla.ola.org
jjulia_munro@ontla.ola.org
jkcraitor.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
jkflynn.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
jkkular.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
jleal.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
jmossop.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
joe_tascona@ontla.ola.org
john_otoole@ontla.ola.org
john_yakabuski@ontla.ola.org
jwatson.mpp@liberal.ola.org
jwilkinson.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
kramal.mpp@liberal.ola.org
kwynne.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
laurie_scott@ontla.ola.org
lbroten.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
ldombrowsky.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
ljeffrey.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
lsandals.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
machambers.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
marilyn_churley-mpp@ontla.ola.org
marsales.mpp@liberal.ola.org
mbountrogianni.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
mbrown.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
mcolle.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
mgravelle.mpp@liberal.ola.org
milloy.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org(...)

mastifflover
October 19th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Thank You Dukieboy :crazy: :thumbs up Guess I have some more emails to get out.

Dukieboy
October 19th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Email for Mayor and City Councillors

Again, just highlight and paste the whole bunch of them in the address councillor_altobello@toronto.ca
councillor_ashton@toronto.ca
councillor_augimeri@toronto.ca
councillor_balkissoon@toronto.ca
councillor_bussin@toronto.ca
councillor_carroll@toronto.ca
councillor_cho@toronto.ca
councillor_chow@toronto.ca
councillor_cowbourne@toronto.ca
councillor_debaeremaeker@toronto.ca
councillor_delgrande@toronto.ca
councillor_digiorgio@toronto.ca
councillor_feldman@toronto.ca
councillor_filion@toronto.ca
councillor_fletcher@toronto.ca
councillor_ford@toronto.ca
councillor_giambrone@toronto.ca
councillor_grimes@toronto.ca
councillor_hall@toronto.ca
councillor_holyday@toronto.ca
councillor_jenkins@toronto.ca
councillor_kelly@toronto.ca
councillor_lindsay_luby@toronto.ca
councillor_lipreti@toronto.ca
councillor_mammoliti@toronto.ca
councillor_mcconnell@toronto.ca
councillor_mihevc@toronto.ca
councillor_milczyn@toronto.ca
councillor_minnan-wong@toronto.ca
councillor_moscoe@toronto.ca
councillor_nunziata@toronto.ca
councillor_ootes@toronto.ca
councillor_palacio@toronto.ca
councillor_pantalone@toronto.ca
councillor_pitfield@toronto.ca
councillor_rae@toronto.ca
councillor_saundercook@toronto.ca
councillor_shiner@toronto.ca
councillor_soknacki@toronto.ca
councillor_thompson@toronto.ca
councillor_walker@toronto.ca
councillor_watson@toronto.ca
councillor_davis@toronto.ca
mayor_miller@toronto.ca
councillor_stintz@toronto.ca

Luvmypit
October 19th, 2004, 11:30 AM
I know you already put them Dukie But just in case there are some missing. There are sometimes two email address per MP so I included both. Start Bombarding people!!!! :crazy:

ted_arnott@ontla.ola.org, warthurs.mpp@liberal.ola.org, warthurs.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, mailbox@johnbaird.com, toby_barrett@ontla.ola.org, rbartolucci.mpp@liberal.ola.org, rbartolucci.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, cbentley.mpp@liberal.ola.org, cbentley.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, lberardinetti.mpp@liberal.ola.org, lberardinetti.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, gilles@gillesbisson.com, mpp@liberal.ola.org, mbountrogianni.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, jbradley.mpp@liberal.ola.org, jbradley.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, lbroten.mpp@liberal.ola.org, lbroten.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, mbrown.mpp@liberal.ola.org, mbrown.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, jbrownell.mpp@liberal.ola.org, jbrownell.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, mbryant.mpp@liberal.ola.org, mbryant.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, dcansfield.mpp@liberal.ola.org, dcansfield.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, dcaplan.mpp@liberal.ola.org, dcaplan.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, machambers.mpp@liberal.ola.org, machambers.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, ted_chudleigh@ontla.ola.org, marilyn_churley-mpp@ontla.ola.org, mcolle.mpp@liberal.ola.org, mcolle.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, jcordiano.mpp@liberal.ola.org,
jcordiano.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, kcraitor.mpp@liberal.ola.org, kcraitor.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, bcrozier.mpp@liberal.ola.org, bcrozier.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, acurling.mpp@liberal.ola.org, acurling.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, bdelaney.mpp@liberal.ola.org, bdelaney.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, vdhillon.mpp@liberal.ola.org, vdhillon.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, cdicocco.mpp@liberal.ola.org, cdicocco.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, ldombrowsky.mpp@liberal.ola.org, ldombrowsky.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, bduguid.mpp@liberal.ola.org, bduguid.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, dduncan.mpp@liberal.ola.org, dduncan.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, garfield_dunlop@ontla.ola.org,
ernie_eves@ontla.ola.org, jim_flaherty@ontla.ola.org, kflynn.mpp@liberal.ola.org, kflynn.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org,
pfonseca.mpp@liberal.ola.org, pfonseca.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, jgerretsen.mpp@liberal.ola.org, jgerretsen.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, mgravelle.mpp@liberal.ola.org, hhampton-qp@ndp.on.ca, ernie_hardeman@ontla.ola.org,
phoy.mpp@liberal.ola.org, phoy.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, tim_hudak@ontla.ola.org, cam_jackson@ontla.ola.org, ljeffrey.mpp@liberal.ola.org, ljeffrey.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, gkennedy.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, gkennedy.mpp@liberal.ola.org,
frank_klees@ontla.ola.org, pkormos-qp@ndp.on.ca, kkular.mpp@liberal.ola.org, kkular.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org,
mkwinter.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, mkwinter.mpp@liberal.ola.org, jmlalonde.mpp@liberal.ola.org, jmlalonde.mpp.rockland@liberal.ola.org, jmlalonde.mpp.alexandria@liberal.ola.org, jleal.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, jleal.mpp@liberal.ola.org, dlevac.mpp@liberal.ola.org, dlevac.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, rmarchese@ndp.on.ca,
jmarsales.mpp@liberal.ola.org, jmarsales.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, shelley_martel-mpp@ontla.ola.org,
gerry_martiniuk@ontla.ola.org, dmatthews.mpp@liberal.ola.org, dmatthews.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, bmauro.mpp@liberal.ola.org,
bmauro.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, dmcguinty.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, tmcmeekin.mpp@liberal.ola.org, tmcmeekin.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, pmcneely.mpp@liberal.ola.org, pmcneely.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, mmeilleur.mpp@liberal.ola.org, mmeilleur.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, Norm_miller@ontla.ola.org, jmilloy.mpp@liberal.ola.org,
jmilloy.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, cmitchell.mpp@liberal.ola.org, cmitchell.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, jmossop.mpp@liberal.ola.org,
jmossop.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, julia_munro@ontla.ola.org, bill_murdoch@ontla.ola.org, john_otoole@ontla.ola.org,
dorazietti.mpp@liberal.ola.org, dorazietti.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, jerry_ouellette@ontla.ola.org, eparsons.mpp@liberal.ola.org, eparsons.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, rpatten.mpp@liberal.ola.org, rpatten.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org,
speters.mpp@liberal.ola.org, mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, tpeterson.mpp@liberal.ola.org, tpeterson.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org,
gphillips.mpp@liberal.ola.org, mprue-qp@ndp.on.ca, mprue-co@ndp.on.ca, spupatello.mpp@liberal.ola.org,
spupatello.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, sqaadri.mpp@liberal.ola.org, sqaadri.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, mracco.mpp@liberal.ola.org,
mracco.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, kramal.mpp@liberal.ola.org, kramal.mpp@liberal.ola.org, dramsay.mpp@liberal.ola.org,
dramsay.mpp.kirkland@liberal.ola.org, lrinaldi.mpp@liberal.ola.org, lrinaldi.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, rwrunciman@brockville.com, truprecht.mpp@liberal.ola.org, truprecht.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, lsandals.mpp@liberal.ola.org
lsandals.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, laurie_scott@ontla.ola.org, msergio.mpp@liberal.ola.org, msergio.mpp@liberal.ola.org,
msmith.mpp@liberal.ola.org, msmith.mpp@liberal.ola.org, gsmitherman.mpp@liberal.ola.org, gsorbara.mpp@liberal.ola.org,
gsorbara.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, norm_sterling@ontla.ola.org, htakhar.mpp@liberal.ola.org, htakhar.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org,
joe_tascona@ontla.ola.org, mvanbommel.mpp@liberal.ola.org, mvanbommel.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, jwatson.mpp@liberal.ola.org,
jwatson.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, jwilkinson.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, jwilkinson.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, jim_wilson@ontla.ola.org, elizabeth_witmer@ontla.ola.org, tcwong.mpp@liberal.ola.org, tcwong.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org,
kwynne.mpp@liberal.ola.org, kwynne.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org, john_yakabuski@ontla.ola.org, dzimmer.mpp@liberal.ola.org,
dzimmer.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org

pitbulliest
October 19th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Great job you guys..Sammiec..no that's not the email I received lol sorry..

Back to this topic...this is great..the more people that write in the better..I'm so very happy about this effort..I'm going to copy and paste these addresses into other forums so its easier for people. I know sometimes people get lazy and just never get around to it because it takes too much time.

A word of advice, if anyone DOES have any time, it would be a good idea to send letters by snail mail as well...I sent out 27 two nights ago..it doesn't take that long, I promise...

Anyways..thanks again you guys..and keep on passing it on.

sammiec
October 19th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Here's the letter that I just sent to ALL those addresses...

Dear Sir/Madame;

It's very important that all the facts be considered with this proposed ban on pit bulls. There are three sides to every story; it appears that there are only 2 sides that are presented through out this "investigation" into the ban; the citizens for the ban and the citizens against the ban. Where have the facts gone. I believe that the public is entitled to hear, and read the fact surrounding this proposed ban. Where is the scientific information? Why is it that the Attorney General can reiterate myths about the ban? There is no such thing as a "locking jaw mechanism" or if the pit bull tastes blood it will thrive for it! Where is this information coming from?

There are stats regarding bites and attacks, and the Attorney General, of all people, should be privy to that information to present his argument in a knowledgeable and informative way. We have heard nothing but him stating his personal opinions regarding the breed.

We as citizens deserve to understand how the government will fund the increase in officials to regulate the imposing ban. We deserve to know what will come of the animals sitting in shelters as I write this. We deserve an educated, informative and thought out plan, not a rash of emotional thoughts and opinions. That's not the Canada that I was born to love.

All the funding that will cover the officers to enforce the ban, shelter technicians to kill the homeless pit bulls, lawyers to carry these "charges" through the court system, law enforcement to hand out tickets and arrest people... these costs are enormous. Not to mention the small spaces already existing throughout the jail systems as is. Where will the offending pit bull owners do their jail time? What about the rapists and killers that are being shuffled through the system because of pit bull owners sitting in jail? Why don't we have answers to these questions?

With further investigation and a timely rational out come, we could see that this funding is put into place regulating breeding, as well as training and education of "dangerous" breed owners.

We deserve to know how the government plans to have criminals register and sterilize their dogs. How will they enforce the muzzle bylaw? How will they regulate the breeding of “dangerous” dogs?

Many organizations and citizens of both sides of the argument deserve a thought out and educated argument as to why we should ban these dogs. We deserve to know on what basis the Attorney General is pursuing this legislation.

A country so defined and set in their goals to achieving a freedom and lifestyle that our ancestors fought so hard for seems adamant in taking a step backwards and dictating a law without factual information. The information is out there and Mr. Bryant needs to look at it.

For this law to be just it needs to encompass all breeds. Discrimination is still discrimination, regardless of species.

It's very easy to make a popular law, but it take courage to make a just law.

Sincerely,
"Sammiec"
and Briggs, our "pet" bull.

pitbulliest
October 19th, 2004, 12:07 PM
excellent email.. :thumbs up

sammiec
October 19th, 2004, 12:07 PM
I have already received a number of them back saying that they are undeliverable... have others received this as well? I saw you have 4 - 5 Mastifflover, I've had 9!

Dukieboy
October 19th, 2004, 12:11 PM
You will probably have at least ten returns.

Luvmypit
October 19th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Good job. I like the last line. Well said and you asked alot of great questions...

sammiec
October 19th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Hotmail won't let me send anymore today, they think I'm spamming... I sent more from my work account... ;)

sammiec
October 19th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Are there addresses available for the opposition? What about the NDP and the PC Party? Do they have a site to collect their addies?

mastifflover
October 19th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Where did you leave off I can send from my work account I can do a cut and paste and send for you

sammiec
October 19th, 2004, 01:20 PM
I actually got the rest out through my yahoo account, thanks mastifflover!

Luvmypit
October 19th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Is this the letter that you recieved?

Thank you for your e-mail regarding a province-wide ban of pit bulls in
Ontario.

that attack individuals may be prosecuted under the Dog Owners' Liability
Act.

Michael Bryant
Minister Responsible for Democratic Renewal

That is the exact one I received. But I have gotten two or three responses telling me they will review my info I sent them. I hops osmething works....

seeker
October 19th, 2004, 06:53 PM
I am going to start emailing tonight and my wife will continue tomorrow . That letter you are receiving from Bryant looks very much like a form letter . I have sent him about 6 in the past 4 days at least 4 to McGinty and 2 to my local MPP . So far nothing back . Not to give up though, my dogs and the lives of the ones in the shelters have to be worth the effort to keep trying .
We must show these people that we will not sit back and watch them errode any more of our rights than they already have. Let's do this in a big way our pets and the homeless dogs need us like never before .

Sheriffmom
October 19th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Hi guys, I was going to post the cut and past list for MPPs... glad to see I was beaten to it :) .
Anyway, I have sent 2 letters to every MPP, and recieved quite a few letters back. Pitbulliest... since you actually own Pits, would you mind if I directed them to you? Or should I direct them to Barlee's? What is the best course of action?

Below are the letters I sent

Hello MPPs,
I am urging you all to take a look at this web site, in fact challenging you to do so.
http://www.deviantart.com/view/11454716/

Michael Bryant is proposing to extinct a breed of animal, due to it "being dangerous". Michael Bryant has, as far as we know, refused to speak with rescue organizations, the Dog Council of Canada and numerous other organizations regarding the proposed ban on Pitbulls. An example:
Public Statement

Dog Legislation Council of Canada
October 16, 2004

"The Dog Legislation Council of Canada was blind-sided yesterday as Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant announced that he is proposing a private bill to ban American Pit Bull Terriers in the province. What surprised the DLCC most was that we have been trying for months to present credible, current information on effective dog bylaws and Bryant has refused to include us in this process. The DLCC is a nation-wide organization that works with legislators by sharing an exhaustive body of information on the subject of creating dog bylaws that address issues such as community safety. If the AG has created a credible report based on facts, not sensationalism that draws headlines, it is being concealed from the DLCC and the public at large. Our organization questions the motives behind Bryant's decision. It appears this decision was reached without input from the public, recognized canine organizations, veterinary organizations, canine experts, health authorities, Statistics Canada or even law enforcement. The public is also being kept in the dark about the onerous financial implications of this decision that fails to realistically address the issue of dangerous dogs. Promoting fear through legislation based on lineage is, in our opinion, un-Canadian, but it successfully makes headlines."
www.doglegislationcouncilcanada.org

Currently Michael Bryant seems to be riding the wave of sensationalism, playing up to the fear of some people. He however, is completely ignoring the other side, and our opinions, facts, stats and ideas. This seems to be highly undemocratic, and very un-Canadian. The liberals, seem to be ramming through some very unpopular legislation, tax hikes etc... I think with the hope that we will forgive or at least forget by the time the next election comes around. They (you) are sadly mistaken. We will not forgive or forget the willful start to an EXTINCTION of an animal, and the euthanization of hundreds in shelters simply due to the fact that they were born to a breed.
Would the MPPs and media stand by and watch Michael Bryant extinct black bears in Ontario if a few of them cause fatalities?
MPPs should be looking at the legislation going on in Italy right now, after banning the more popular "dangerous breeds" they are now proposing to ban Corgi's and Collie's. Once one breed is banned, there will surely be more to follow.
There are many other options open to Michael Bryant and the rest of you, if you care to look.
I challenge all of you to take some time, and look at what some experts have to say about the effects of banning a breed. Also, look at some statistics involving breeds, fatalities, and major bites. Don't be railroaded into legislating the extinction of a breed of animals in Ontario, or the resulting hundreds of deaths of this breed in shelters who ae no longer able to adopt them out.
If you care to rise to the challenge here are some web sites to view, with a different slant on Breed Specific Legislation.
Thank you for your time, and hopefully your effort.
SincerelyHere is a list of websites to view, if you'd like to see the other sides opinion I encourage you to do so: http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.htlm - See if you can pick which dog is a Pit out of the 25 shown.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbites.htm - Dog bites from 1979-1996
http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/amstaff.cfm AKC- Breed standard
http://www.geocities.com/barleesangels/barleesresponse.html - Rescue group for Pits
http://www.barlees.org/cgi-bin/index.php - Rescue
http://www.ckc.ca/default-refresh.asp - Canadian Kennel Club views on BSL
http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/p...animal/bits.asp - Major dog bites, break down of breeds
www.doglegislationcouncilcanada.org.

Does ANYONE Support Breed Bans?

The Canadian Kennel Club:

· The Canadian Kennel Club supports dangerous and vicious dog legislation in order to provide the most appropriate protection for the general public and the innocent dog owner. We are opposed to breed-specific legislation in any form, anywhere in this country or internationally. It is both short-sighted and unacceptable, anywhere.

The Canada Safety Council:

· The Canada Safety Council does not recommend breed bans.

Canadian Veterinary Medical Association:

· The Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA) supports dangerous dog legislation provided that it does not refer to specific breeds.

The Centers for Disease Control:

· Breed-specific approaches to the control of dog bites do not address the issue that many breeds are involved in the problem and that most of the factors contributing to dog bites are related to the level of responsibility exercised by dog owners.

· Tethered dogs are more likely to bite than untethered dogs.

JAVMA (Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association):

· Because of difficulties inherent in determining a dog’s breed with certainty, enforcement of breed-specific ordinances raises constitutional and practical issues.

· Many practical alternatives to breed-specific ordinances exist and hold promise for prevention of dog bites.

The American Kennel Club:

· The American Kennel Club strongly opposes any legislation that determines a dog to be "dangerous" based on specific breeds or phenotypic classes of dogs.

GoodPooch.com:

· GoodPooch.com is against any restrictions of dog ownership based on a dog’s size, gender, reproductive status, breed, or phenotype.

Click here for information about dog bite prevention.

Dog Bites Not A 'Public Safety Issue', But a 'Domestic Issue'

Let's be clear what breed bans are about. Someone hears about a serious dog biting incident (whether or not it involves a specific breed) and decides "the public" must be "protected from these dangerous dogs". No one seems to care that "the public" is rarely involved in serious biting incidents.

For the most part, dog bite victims and the dog who bit them reside in the same home. Most dog bites do not involve people who don't know the dog. Most occur at a time when the dog is left unsupervised.

"The public" is rarely involved in a dog biting incident.

This information taken from the website www.goodpooch.com

Sheriffmom
October 19th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Hope this will be helpful, here are a bunch of media email addresses if you want to cut and paste.
chmorninglive@chtv.ca
youasked@chtv.ca
feedback@chtv.ca
newstips@chtv.ca
queries@nationalpost.com
editor@tor.sunpub.com
crush@thestar.ca
feedback@chtv.ca
newstips@chtv.ca
gord.walsh@tor.sunpub.com

ALso, at the Toronto Sun, they have a very easy, push and click to email every reporter there! I did.
Hope this helps
Jess

pitbulliest
October 19th, 2004, 08:11 PM
What do we write to the media emails?

Should we make them aware of our pit bull demonstration on Saturday?

Sheriffmom
October 19th, 2004, 09:34 PM
I'd say for sure make them aware of it.
Here is the letter I sent the media: Feel free to use it/ and or portions of it, if there is anything in it you like :o .
Hi,
Numerous organizations, and groups have tried to get a hold of M.Bryant in an attempt to give him facts, statistics, and problems regarding the breed ban. They have been trying to give him information regarding the "other side of the story". So far all groups to our knowledge have been denied any and all access to M.Bryant. He seems to be steaming full speed ahead, on only the sensational aspect of banning a breed, not the facts. He has not even given the time of day to people who do not share his views, respected organizations. This is so anti-democratic. M.Bryant seems driven to sensationalize fears, for his own public image.
The only responses any of us that I know of have gotten is a form letter :
(Thank you for your e-mail regarding a province-wide ban of pit bulls in Ontario.
that attack individuals may be prosecuted under the Dog Owners' Liability Act.

Michael Bryant
Minister Responsible for Democratic Renewal)

This is the position of the Dog Legislation Council of Canada:

"The Dog Legislation Council of Canada was blind-sided yesterday as
Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant announced that he is
proposing a private bill to ban American Pit Bull Terriers in the
province. What surprised the DLCC most was that we have been trying
for months to present credible, current information on effective dog
bylaws and Bryant has refused to include us in this process. The
DLCC is a nation-wide organization that works with legislators by
sharing an exhaustive body of information on the subject of creating
dog bylaws that address issues such as community safety. If the AG
has created a credible report based on facts, not sensationalism
that draws headlines, it is being concealed from the DLCC and the
public at large. Our organization questions the motives behind
Bryant's decision. It appears this decision was reached without
input from the public, recognized canine organizations, veterinary
organizations, canine experts, health authorities, Statistics Canada
or even law enforcement. The public is also being kept in the dark
about the onerous financial implications of this decision that fails
to realistically address the issue of dangerous dogs. Promoting fear
through legislation based on lineage is, in our opinion, un-
Canadian, but it successfully makes headlines."

Why is M.Bryant being allowed to ignore any information that opposes his position? What is he afraid of? Why is he refusing to meet with people( respected organizations) of opposing views?? What is he hiding?? Why is he purposely sesationalizing this issue ("BAN THEM"!!!)?

I am hopeing that a media outlet out there somewhere will choose to take a stand and not allow M.Bryant to railroad this legislation through, without any input from the opposing side. Hundreds if not thousands of dogs will be euthanized if M.Bryant is allowed to ramrod this through.
Why is he being virtually unchallenged in his position to basically extinct a breed of animal from Ontario? What would people's position be if he tried to have every Black Bear in Ontario neutered, therefore causing the extinction of that Black Bear in Ontario in a few short years?

Thank you for your time, and hopefully your assistance.
Sincerely

PS- I am not a Pitbull owner, just a citizen who thinks extincting an animal based on a few bad ones, is a terrible idea, and opens a Pandora's Box.

Akeeter
October 19th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Mcguinty. In the beginning all of the M.P.P.s' that got constituent's letters simply sent them on to Bryant, who fired back another form letter. It was like none of them wanted anything to do with Bryant's issue. I'm very glad to hear that they are now answering their own constitiuents. That is part of their job!

Subject: Kindly do not forward this to

our 'beloved' Att. Gen. We don't want any more 'form letters' back. We already have 8, thanks to elected people not wishing to hear what their constituents & member of the Ontario public think. If you as elected people don't wish to deal with this particular mess, kindly tell Mr. Bryant this in person.

As constituents, we wish to make this known to you, our elected representatives in the Ontario Legislature. We do not support Breed Specific Legislation, & we don't support Mr. Bryant's efforts to prove junk science & ban something that really doesn't exist. We do not support Mr. Bryant's efforts to create hysteria, cloud the issues, & spread misinformation . (No matter what his intentions were then, or are at present.)

We do not support blindsiding the very people (The Ont Vet. Assn, the OSPCA, the Canada Safety Council, the Dog Rescue groups across Ontario,& the public) that Mr. Bryant may need to be on-side in the very near future. We cannot support the present Att. General at all after what we have seen happen with this issue.

Dukieboy
October 20th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Dear Ms. *********,

Thank you for sending us your concerns regarding the Pit Bull Ban. As Mr.
Wilkinson's legislative assistant, I will make certain to share your
concerns with him. In the meantime, Attorney General, Michael Bryant has
asked the public to contact him and share their views on this issue. As a
result, I will be forwarding your e-mail to him for his consideration.

Again, thank-you for your e-mail.

Sincerely,

Richard Linley
Legislative Assistant
Office of John Wilkinson, M.P.P.

sammiec
October 20th, 2004, 10:11 AM
I haven't received one response to the letters that I wrote yesterday... nothing! Do you think that's good or bad?? :rolleyes:

Dukieboy
October 20th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Well, most of them are liberals and they are sort of required to support thier own. I think the only time they don't is if its clear personal political disaster is looming.

Writing4Fun
October 20th, 2004, 10:28 AM
I would reply with:
Dear Mr. Linley,
Thank you for your response. Please note, however, that I have already shared my concerns with Mr. Bryant, and received a form letter in response. Hence my letter to Mr. Wilkinson. I would appreciate it if you could ensure that Mr. Wilkinson reviews my concerns personally, as I am currently under the impression that Mr. Bryant is ignoring any input that does not concur with his views on the subject.
Thank you for your time.
...yadda, yadda...

Dukieboy
October 20th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Dear Ms. *******:

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Constituency Office of David
Caplan, M.P.P. regarding the proposed Pit Bull ban. I see that you have
already forwarded your concerns to the Office of the Attorney General.
Could you please send our office your address and phone number so that we
may discuss your concerns directly.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Twine
Outreach Assistant
David Caplan, M.P.P.

Sheriffmom
October 20th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Maybe, send a reply back to those stating that they will forward your email to M.Bryant, with the form letter M.Bryant sent you (all of us). Telling them you appreciate them sending you email to the AG, but don't think it will do any good, as Michael Bryant seems to have selective hearing on the issue. Maybe mention as well, that ### ppl have emailed the AG, and we ALL got standard form letters back, and if they talk to Michael Bryant, to let him know we would appreciate being heard.... not just having a stupid form letter sent back to us.
Michael Bryant.... poster boy for in one ear out the other :p

mastifflover
October 20th, 2004, 10:43 AM
I got the same one from David Caplan. I think this is going to get these MPs a little pissed at Michael Brant there offices are being hit with a barage of emails and this is what there staff are doing is just responding and getting nothing else done. I sent back a not saying that I do note need another form letter from MB and am not very pleased that our say means nothing in a supposedly democratic society. I also am sure everybody is being polite but just make sure so that they do respond and dont think that we are a bunch of fanatical animal rights activists and know that we are just concerned pet owners.

sammiec
October 20th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Huh, I guess it's another mass mailer... but we did get different Assistants....

Dear Samantha C*****,
Thank you for taking the time to contact the Constituency Office of David Caplan, M.P.P. regarding Breed Specific Legislation. Your concerns will passed onto the Office of the Attorney General for their attention. Could you please forward your address and phone number so that we may contact you to discuss your concerns.

Sincerely,

Jane Wu
Constituency Assistant
David Caplan, M.P.P.

here's my list of people emailed this morning....
marilyn_churley-mpp@ontla.ola.org <marilyn_churley-mpp@ontla.ola.org>; tcwong.mpp@liberal.ola.org <tcwong.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; mvanbommel.mpp@liberal.ola.org <mvanbommel.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; tpeterson.mpp@liberal.ola.org <tpeterson.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; kramal.mpp@liberal.ola.org <kramal.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; bill_murdoch@ontla.ola.org <bill_murdoch@ontla.ola.org>; gerry_martiniuk@ontla.ola.org <gerry_martiniuk@ontla.ola.org>; jleal.mpp@liberal.ola.org <jleal.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; gilles@gillesbisson.com <gilles@gillesbisson.com>; norm_sterling@ontla.ola.org <norm_sterling@ontla.ola.org>; julia_munro@ontla.ola.org <julia_munro@ontla.ola.org>; dzimmer.mpp@liberal.ola.org <dzimmer.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; lsandals.mpp@liberal.ola.org <lsandals.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; rpatten.mpp@liberal.ola.org <rpatten.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; bmauro.mpp@liberal.ola.org <bmauro.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; shelley_martel-mpp@ontla.ola.org <shelley_martel-mpp@ontla.ola.org>; jim_flaherty@ontla.ola.org <jim_flaherty@ontla.ola.org>; lbroten.mpp@liberal.ola.org <lbroten.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; ljeffrey.mpp@liberal.ola.org <ljeffrey.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; mracco.mpp@liberal.ola.org <mracco.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; ernie_hardeman@ontla.ola.org <ernie_hardeman@ontla.ola.org>; msergio.mpp@liberal.ola.org <msergio.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; Norm_miller@ontla.ola.org <Norm_miller@ontla.ola.org>; rmarchese@ndp.on.ca <rmarchese@ndp.on.ca>; bdelaney.mpp@liberal.ola.org <bdelaney.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; kcraitor.mpp@liberal.ola.org <kcraitor.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; dcansfield.mpp@liberal.ola.org <dcansfield.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; tim_hudak@ontla.ola.org <tim_hudak@ontla.ola.org>; ahorwath-qp@ndp.on.ca <ahorwath-qp@ndp.on.ca>; joe_tascona@ontla.ola.org <joe_tascona@ontla.ola.org>; dorazietti.mpp@liberal.ola.org <dorazietti.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; msmith.mpp@liberal.ola.org <msmith.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; laurie_scott@ontla.ola.org <laurie_scott@ontla.ola.org>; mgravelle.mpp@liberal.ola.org <mgravelle.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; eparsons.mpp@liberal.ola.org <eparsons.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; lberardinetti.mpp@liberal.ola.org <lberardinetti.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; cam_jackson@ontla.ola.org <cam_jackson@ontla.ola.org>; john_otoole@ontla.ola.org <john_otoole@ontla.ola.org>; jim_wilson@ontla.ola.org <jim_wilson@ontla.ola.org>; jmilloy.mpp@liberal.ola.org <jmilloy.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; pmcneely.mpp@liberal.ola.org <pmcneely.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; kkular.mpp@liberal.ola.org <kkular.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; cdicocco.mpp@liberal.ola.org <cdicocco.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; warthurs.mpp@liberal.ola.org <warthurs.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; phoy.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org <phoy.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org>; jwilkinson.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org <jwilkinson.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org>; mprue-qp@ndp.on.ca <mprue-qp@ndp.on.ca>; cmitchell.mpp@liberal.ola.org <cmitchell.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; jmarsales.mpp@liberal.ola.org <jmarsales.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; mcolle.mpp@liberal.ola.org <mcolle.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; toby_barrett@ontla.ola.org <toby_barrett@ontla.ola.org>; jmlalonde.mpp@liberal.ola.org <jmlalonde.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; vdhillon.mpp@liberal.ola.org <vdhillon.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; john_yakabuski@ontla.ola.org <john_yakabuski@ontla.ola.org>; lrinaldi.mpp@liberal.ola.org <lrinaldi.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; sqaadri.mpp@liberal.ola.org <sqaadri.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; jerry_ouellette@ontla.ola.org <jerry_ouellette@ontla.ola.org>; dmatthews.mpp@liberal.ola.org <dmatthews.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; bduguid.mpp@liberal.ola.org <bduguid.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; elizabeth_witmer@ontla.ola.org <elizabeth_witmer@ontla.ola.org>; pkormos-qp@ndp.on.ca <pkormos-qp@ndp.on.ca>; frank_klees@ontla.ola.org <frank_klees@ontla.ola.org>; kflynn.mpp@liberal.ola.org <kflynn.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; jbrownell.mpp@liberal.ola.org <jbrownell.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; mbrown.mpp@liberal.ola.org <mbrown.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; kwynne.mpp@liberal.ola.org <kwynne.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; tmcmeekin.mpp@liberal.ola.org <tmcmeekin.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; pfonseca.mpp@liberal.ola.org <pfonseca.mpp@liberal.ola.org>; ted_chudleigh@ontla.ola.org <ted_chudleigh@ontla.ola.org>; ted_arnott@ontla.ola.org <ted_arnott@ontla.ola.org>

Sheriffmom
October 20th, 2004, 10:57 AM
I got this back from MPP Caplan this am. I replied, urging them again to go to some of the web sites listed in my letter (and reposting a few for them). I also replied that M.Bryant is merely sending us Form letters, and that a lot of ppl have and will contine to email/mail letters to the AG, but that if he was ignoring Pit Rescue groups, the Vet Assoc., the Dog Council etc... that more than likely he would ignore the emails that are against his "master piece"

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Constituency Office of David Caplan, M.P.P. regarding Breed Specific Legislation. Your concerns will passed onto the Office of the Attorney General for their attention. Could you please forward your address and phone number so that we may contact you to discuss your concerns.

Sincerely,

Jane Wu
Constituency Assistant

sammiec
October 20th, 2004, 11:05 AM
here's the newest one. See they say that they are forwarding all this information to MB, well keep sending them emails on a daily basis. I'm sure they're getting frustrated and will have to do SOMETHING!!
John O'Tooles office:

Dear Ms. C*****:

Thank you for your email I received concerning the matter of breed specific
bans against dogs. I have written the Hon. Michael Bryant, Ontario's
Attorney General, on behalf of the Durham Riding residents who have taken
the time to share their views on this matter.

As you will know, the content of the legislation has not yet been tabled.
However, it is clear that Ontarians favour legislation that protects the
public against dangerous dogs by placing the onus on the dog owner to breed,
train and handle dogs responsibly.

I understand the concerns raised over breed specific bans, and trust that
Minister Bryant will take into account the advice of organizations such as
the Canadian Kennel Club, the Canada Safety Council, the Canadian Veterinary
Medical Association and others, when drafting legislation.

The input received from concerned citizens is greatly appreciated. It will
be most helpful as this issue is discussed in among my caucus colleagues and
in the Legislature.

Again, thank you for keeping in touch.

Yours truly,

John.

Dukieboy
October 20th, 2004, 11:12 AM
I got the same response from "John" "John" is a PC, opposition energy critic

sammiec
October 20th, 2004, 11:15 AM
LOL, I figure if they have these mass mailers, so will I! I'm gonna keep sending the same one over and over until I get blocked...

mastifflover
October 20th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Well Sammie I just emailed the whole list again. I did steal parts of your letter I hope you dont mind. I just put them on a group mail so one button and off they go. I can do this everyday just takes a minute

sammiec
October 20th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Well Sammie I just emailed the whole list again. I did steal parts of your letter I hope you dont mind. I just put them on a group mail so one button and off they go. I can do this everyday just takes a minute

I'm not mad, I told you too!!! I don't care, as long as the information gets read!! :)

mastifflover
October 20th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Wonder who the first one to get blocked will be they are bound to block us at one point.I guess then I will use another account.

sammiec
October 20th, 2004, 11:25 AM
I PM'd you Robin, I think... I got sent back to my mail box... not sure if it went out... :confused:

sammiec
October 20th, 2004, 11:42 AM
WTF?? I guess this means he answers his own mail?!?

Thanks for your thoughtful note.

Regards,
Ted McMeekin, MPP

Luvmypit
October 20th, 2004, 11:49 AM
I dont know if this is an MPP. I wrote so many people that I dont know where the replies are coming from. Atleast he wrote back.

Dear Ms. Shea:

Thank you for your email I received concerning the matter of breed specific
bans against dogs. I have written the Hon. Michael Bryant, Ontario's
Attorney General, on behalf of the Durham Riding residents who have taken
the time to share their views on this matter.

As you will know, the content of the legislation has not yet been tabled.
However, it is clear that Ontarians favour legislation that protects the
public against dangerous dogs by placing the onus on the dog owner to breed,
train and handle dogs responsibly.

I understand the concerns raised over breed specific bans, and trust that
Minister Bryant will take into account the advice of organizations such as
the Canadian Kennel Club, the Canada Safety Council, the Canadian Veterinary
Medical Association and others, when drafting legislation.

The input received from concerned citizens is greatly appreciated. It will
be most helpful as this issue is discussed in among my caucus colleagues and
in the Legislature.

Again, thank you for keeping in touch.

Yours truly,

John.

sammiec
October 20th, 2004, 11:50 AM
I posted that letter above... it's a mass mailer, he's an MPP.

Sheriffmom
October 20th, 2004, 11:57 AM
I got the same notes, the one from McMeekin and O'toole. I replied "Thank you for the form letter" "hopefully the reason all you MPPs are sending form letters, is because you are all so busy contacting Pitbull rescue groups, Dog council of Canada, Goodpooch, and the Vet assoc." :p

Dukieboy
October 20th, 2004, 12:10 PM
LOL, very good response

mastifflover
October 20th, 2004, 12:16 PM
How about this one, must be a friend of Michaels

Thanks for your thoughtful note.

Regards,
Ted McMeekin, MPP

sammiec
October 20th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Oh, Robin I got that one! I wrote back with:

Thanks to you for your generic response.

Sincerely,
Samantha

sammiec
October 20th, 2004, 12:44 PM
This is the response to the one I replied back to! LOL!!!

Thanks again for your note.

Regards,
Ted

mastifflover
October 20th, 2004, 12:56 PM
I sent a note back obviously this is not an issue that concerns your office. I will be sure to let the dog owners in your constituency know how much you care.

sammiec
October 20th, 2004, 01:00 PM
I just mailed the Canadian Civil Liberties Assoc.

Luvmypit
October 20th, 2004, 03:15 PM
I just sent the MPP's all a copy of that petition that has reached over 5000.... remember to sign if you haven't already. Please include your whole name or atleast first initial and last name.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?newban2&1

Sheriffmom
October 20th, 2004, 05:32 PM
I stole Mastiff's idea (sorry!! :o ) and sent all teh MPPs and newsoutlets stories about Hero/award winning/good media stories regarding Pitbulls. I got form letters from McMeekin, Sorbara, O'Toole, and Caplan. I have sent everyone a letter back, thanking them for the form letter, each time I get one, I reply with more good Pit facts, stats, and web sites.

mastifflover
October 20th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Go for it we are all doing this for the same reason I think it is a positive spin on it and they are great stories, unless you are totally heartless. Wont be sending one to MB he has no heart

pitbulliest
October 20th, 2004, 07:04 PM
You guys..I just got a reply from Councillor Ford..he has asked me for my phone number because he wants to speak with me about this issue (the pit bull ban)..

I'm kind of nervous...what if he asks me a question that I won't be able to answer? I dunno..this is weird..I've never felt so cared for by a politician lol

Sheriffmom
October 20th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Pitbulliest.... You will do fine! Your passion for the Pitbulls will ring loud and clear, and the fact you care sooo much about the issue will help your tongue get the right words out!!
Just Remember... no need to be scared of a little ol' politician , you already own a big bad scary Pitbull :p LOL
Good Luck... Let us know what happens..... YOU WILL DO GREAT!!! :thumbs up

seeker
October 20th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Pitbulliest , just be polite and do not rant . State your opinion and wait for a response . These politians are just other people that have different jobs than us , the hold no rank above us and are paid by our tax money remember they work for you and me somewhere in the conversation remind him of that fact, politely of course . Many do really care about our opinions , just relax and you will be fine .

sammiec
October 21st, 2004, 08:52 AM
Councillor Ford called me last night and said that we have to contact the MPPs as the city councillor can do nothing pretty much. And he said good luck!

sammiec
October 21st, 2004, 10:02 AM
Hahhaha, I got banned from sening emails to the MPPs!! I had to change accounts and change the title of my message! :p :angel:

Added: My Yahoo account was banned too! Is anyone else receiving a message saying that the email is undeliverable to ALL accounts?

mastifflover
October 21st, 2004, 10:11 AM
So now they are banning pit bull owners Sammie. Mayb you should set up an account for Briggs

Dukieboy
October 21st, 2004, 10:16 AM
I am making signs for the protest. Any suggestions?

Ban Bryant?

Ban Fascist Liberals?

Sheriffmom
October 21st, 2004, 10:28 AM
How about the names of "Hero" Pitbulls.
Or asking when Bryant will call the Vet Assoc, the Dog Council, Pit rescues
How about pics of families with their Pitbulls
How about "More bites from a Lab, then from a Pit"

Sheriffmom
October 21st, 2004, 10:30 AM
What about those signs that say "Don't Kill Me" with the pic of a cutie pie Pitbull. Or something infering that if the ban passes the MPPs should be responsible to euthanize all the shelter Pits.

kigaro
October 21st, 2004, 11:07 AM
I am making signs for the protest. Any suggestions?

Ban Bryant?

Ban Fascist Liberals?

tempting, very tempting. however, they are negative statements, and while i don't agree with the tabled legislation, the liberal are a far stretch from fascist. go for something positive or factual.

like 'promote resposible ownership', or 'the only loaded weapon is my tail' w/ a picture of a dog.

peace

ps. i emailed my letter to all mpp and councillors today.

Dukieboy
October 21st, 2004, 11:59 AM
ok. something positive, I hear ya

But just for your consideration:

Fascism depends on propaganda, rather than information. This stems, in part, from the discontinuity of its self-described features (conservative, traditionalist) and in part because its aims are often at variance with the public weal, and, quite simply, it has to lie in order to get any public support. Thus, it will corrupt the media if the media was free to begin with, and set about redefining public institutions and government apparatus and actions to suit itself, an activity made famous by the George Orwell term, "Newspeak". Definition seven: fascism depends on propaganda and lies for public support.

I kind a think this is exactly what Bryant has done.

I am leaning toward ban bryant.

pitbulliest
October 21st, 2004, 12:30 PM
Good idea you guys....signs are definately necessary for this demo...just keep it clean and try not to offend anybody that might be on our side...nobody cares about Michael Bryant...we've made that clear lol.

I'm thinking questions or positive info ...like...
PIT BULLS RECEIVED 84% BY THE AMERICAN TEMPERAMENT TESTING SOCIETY...HIGHER THAN GOLDEN RETRIEVERS...

OR..

PUNISH THE PEOPLE THAT EXPLOIT, ABUSE, AND NEGLECT PIT BULLS, NOT THE DOGS THEMSELVES.

Something like that..any other suggestions? I want to make a sign too.

Sheriffmom
October 21st, 2004, 12:33 PM
What about your saying Pitbulliest..."Punish the Deed, not the breed"

pitbulliest
October 21st, 2004, 01:17 PM
Yeah we could make some signs of that too...lol its not really my saying though...I got it from another forum..that got it from some other place..blah blah blah lol

What about:
BANNING BREEDS IS DISCRIMINATION, STEREOTYPING, AND RACISM ALL COMBINED INTO ONE.

MICHAEL BRYANT IS THRIVING ON YOUR FEARS OF INNOCENT DOGS. WILL YOU VOTE FOR SOMEONE THAT SUPPORTS MASS KILLINGS?

I dunno..lol I'm slow today.. *falling asleep at school right now...on her break*

sammiec
October 21st, 2004, 01:26 PM
They need to be quick and to the point. A long drawn out statement won't get read if it's on a sign.

Punish the Deed not the Breed.
Discrimination is Discrimination
Ban Bryant
Love my "Pet" Bull
Muzzles are a lazy person's training tool
Bryant - Banned
Petie was a Pittie!

That all I can think of right now! There needs to be signs with PB in their SAR "uniforms" - and say because of these dogs, people are alive!

Luvmypit
October 21st, 2004, 01:35 PM
How about the line you used in the letter published by the star. Its easy to make a popular law but it takes courage to make a just law. Probably too long.
Pit bulls need love too (include pic of starved or hurt animal)
Proven member of society (include search and rescue , seeing eye, therapy dog pics)

sammiec
October 26th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Got this letter today...I am feeling discouraged again...but this guy is from Windsor...

Dear Constituent,

Thank you for your recent correspondence to my office regarding the
government's proposed amendments to the Dog Owners' Liability Act.

I am pleased to inform you that the McGuinty government has taken another
step to make our communities and neighbourhoods a safer place for all
Ontarians. On Tuesday October 26, 2004, Attorney General, Michael Bryant
introduced legislation that, if passed, would make amendments to the Dog
Owners' Liability Act.

The proposed legislation would amend the Dog Owners' Liability Act to ban
pit bulls in the province of Ontario. If passed, the legislation would
allow existing pit bull owners to keep their dogs, however, these owners
would be required to comply with strict new requirements, such as leashing
and muzzling, and have their dogs spayed or neutered. Municipalities would
be able to use their existing animal control powers to add further
restrictions, specific to the needs of each community.

Additionally, if passed the legislation would toughen penalties for the
owners of any dog that poses a danger to the public, by doubling fines up to
a maximum of $10,000, and allow for jail sentences of up to six months for
individuals who own dangerous dogs that bite, attack, or pose a threat. The
legislation would also allow fines up to a maximum of $60,000 for
corporations who own such dogs.

The government's decision to ban pit bulls and place restrictions on
existing pit bulls is a direct response to the overwhelming desire of the
majority of Ontarians. In the past few months, Ontario has witnessed
numerous serious attacks on innocent victims and family pets by pit bulls.
As a result of these and previous attacks, the McGuinty government has
received thousands of letters, emails, faxes and phone calls from residents
across Ontario, sharing their stories and urging the government to act in
the interest of public safety and to protect the rights of Ontarians in
their communities.

The proposed legislation is designed to support municipal governments while
respecting their authority under the Municipal Act, and avoid a patchwork of
bans created by individual municipalities throughout the province. If
passed, the legislation would be the first of its kind in North America.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your views on this
important subject.

Yours truly,

Hon. Dwight Duncan, MPP
Windsor-St. Clair

Luvmypit
October 26th, 2004, 12:53 PM
got the same one and replied ok well I cannot support a government that basis legislation merely on emotion rather then fact. So come 3 years I will not vote liberal again. Have a nice day

Luvmypit
October 26th, 2004, 12:55 PM
I think it would help if you wrote back with your disapointment and say your never voting liberal again... That usually gets them to listen... soon as it effects them it matters. Even if you plan on voting for them again... Just put the scare in them

pitbulliest
October 26th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Why WOULD anyone vote liberal again? They're already messing everything up enough as it is...

Look at Western Canada (specifically Calgary)..majority conservative party..no pit bull problems, no breed bans, BUT strict legislation applying to ALL responsible dog ownership..that's what I call a responsible government.

SCREW THE LIBERALS...MY VOTE IS DEFINATELY NOT GOING TO BE FOR THEM FROM NOW ON! :evil:

mastifflover
October 26th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Funny I got the same lettter and sent him back a rather scathing letter. If he would have read my letter he would have known I oppose any ban. So I told him I will no longer be a supporter of the Liberal (Liars) party and will pass this on to all the dog owners.

Luvmypit
October 26th, 2004, 02:34 PM
i wrote another email telling them that I know of atleast 30 people who are vowing not to vote liberal ... I know im not ever again if this passes. Its so sickening... how can they be sooooooooooooo wrong??/

Akeeter
October 26th, 2004, 02:43 PM
this may be a political disaster for him! :evil:

Sheriffmom
October 26th, 2004, 08:42 PM
If you have kids in the age range that they will be able to vote for the first time in the next election, have their friends and themselves write to the Fiberals and tell them the up- and - comming voters will not be voting for a bunch of dog killing liars.
I know the Liberals like to target new voters in their campaignes, so this might get their attention.