Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Childrens books.

lilith_rizel
October 17th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Does anyone know of any good, some what educational childrens books, up to age five. My husband and I want to start getting books before our baby is born, and we want some that have somewhat of an educational purpose.

melanie
October 17th, 2004, 07:00 PM
its not educational but really funny, there is an aussie book called

'Sharon, keep ya hair on'.

(aussie saying of 'keep ya hair on' in relation to someone in a worry or panic, etc) so very aussie book for kids of all ages.

its about sharon who has 3 kids and a hubby, one day sharons sister comes to stay with her husband jim who is a crim (criminal but in the book crim rhymes with jim), and they have to extend the house, then every one leaves and they pull the extension down. it is one of the funniests things i have ever read the kids, and every time somone else comes to stay, sharons husband says 'oh sharon, keep ya hair on'. it is very entertaining for adults also.

but im sure it would be hard to find as it is here, but do-able for a nice little collectors piece. :crazy:

and i used to read to my neice and nephew as new borns and they seemed to love it, i even read a book to one of them in my sisters womb, well it seemed a good idea, i also used to play hendrix and make her sit near the speaker so the kid came out with some good taste. :crazy: :love:

lilith_rizel
October 17th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Sounds funny, I may be able to find it on the net or something.

goldenblaze
October 17th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Grolier/scholastic books have great baby book for newborn to 1 yr called baby learn about books, they are made of cardboard pages and will not rip great for teething wipe clean but bright to get the child to notice the books. From ago two on "help me be good" and "my very first winne the pooh" pooh books deal with scary dreams, new babysitter, visiting the Dr everything thing new to children. Help me be good deal with being hurtful, telling the truth, fighting things that really start in school. I did this for a living for four yrs sold childrens books but my office closed friday and I am out of a job. Anyway they are some great books have a look. http://homeclubs.scholastic.com/

Mysts38
October 17th, 2004, 08:04 PM
We started to read to our kids when they were a year old...and they are all fantastic readers..

Here are some of my personal suggestions

Good night Moon

I Love you forever

Any thing "Little Critters" is fantastic! My daughter still loves these

I love you the Purplest

ANything "Robert Munsch"

Berenstein Bears

lilith_rizel
October 17th, 2004, 08:11 PM
thanks everyone, keep me posted on any others.

Mel, do you know the author of that book?

melanie
October 17th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Sharon Keep Your Hair On!
by Gillian Rubinstein and David Macintosh

Publisher: Random House pb
ISBN: 91831601
Recommended Retail Price: AU$14.20 (which is $12.80 canadian and $10.23 in american dollars)
Categorized as: PictureBooks

use the isbn, you can get anything book wise in the world if you have the ISBN number. with an isbn you are set to get anything you want, they are all global.

it is such a cool book, great rhymes and oh so funny and it is very aussie, with a distinct aussie accent and flavor, you will love it.

another of my nephews all time favs as a babe was the classic 'green eggs and ham' and anything by Dr Zeus, but be warned, after the 4000th time you read it to them you will be able to recite it better than your national anthem. and he is 10yrs now and i havent read it to him for a few years but i still know it off by heart, hey it makes for a great party trick :crazy: :crazy:

meggie1425
October 17th, 2004, 08:29 PM
When i was little, i LOVED all Robert Munsch books!! they were SO funny!!I also loved Clifford, Franklin, and Dr. Souse :thumbs up

goldenblaze
October 17th, 2004, 08:42 PM
classic 'green eggs and ham' and anything by Dr Zeus Good old Begining Readers Program from Grolier/scholastic. Still sell them today by the thousands great books .

lilith_rizel
October 17th, 2004, 08:50 PM
My grandfather is giving us all the dr. suess books. He has the entire collection. We want to get a whole selection of books.

Does anyone know of a big oversized yellow book, that has numbers, letters, colors, words, shapes, ect which the characters are Zoe and Alex. It was printed sometime around the 1980's. My husband had it as a kid, and he can't remember what it was called, and his mom can't find where she put it. He said that he would really like to get it for our child, since it had everything in it.

lilith_rizel
October 17th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Mel, I found that book.

lilith_rizel
October 18th, 2004, 12:31 PM
How about nursery rhyme books, are there any amazing ones out there that you guys know about.

jackieb
October 18th, 2004, 12:38 PM
my son is 4 and half at england they expected them to write there own name he couldnt manage this and it wasnt a issue to me.

But to try and help him we bought joly phonics books and they did hand writing books teaching them to write the letters even videos with rymes and phonic sounds.

I have alot of books and find that whatever you read them is a real plus Ive always read to mine and now my eldest loves books which apparantely is rare so his j.k teacher hear said.

lilith_rizel
October 18th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Writing their name at 4 1/2, I couldn't write mine until I was a year older.

Do the phonics books really help? I should look into them. I have seen them advertised on television before. And if our baby is anything like me, she isn't going to take to reading all that well. I still don't like reading all that much today, atleast books that aren't children's books, I love those.

jackieb
October 18th, 2004, 12:59 PM
In england they expected alot
The phonic books helped my son also the videos with sounds were a great help as he struggles with sounds like sp gr etc he finds it difficult to say theese and they were good as they start off with the easier letters.

I read alot to my children as i was read to by my dad and i enjoyed it the boys are into books which is nice. I also have childrens ryhme books etc all good and rhymes are good also singing nursery rhymes to them i used to when mine were babys and read to them from a early age.

If your having a baby soon might be worth thinking of a baby massage course we had theese in england not sure if there done over here but that was great we sung ryhem whilst massaging great way to help you unwind and the baby unwind found it really useful sorry for straying off the subject
i have 3 boys the eldest is 4 and half the middle one will be 3 in November and the baby is 15months nearly.

lilith_rizel
October 18th, 2004, 01:19 PM
I am attending a baby boot camp class on the 19th of November. It is an eight hour class, that explains infant care and developement, maternal nutrition, shaken baby symdrome, and alot more, from what the flyer says. And each registered family gets a baby boot camp bundle that includes diaperbag, bibs, blanket, bottles, and a couple other things, i can't remember what they are. My friend went to it a few months back, and said it is well worth spending the entire day there. She said she would have spent a whole week, if she had to, just because the information she got was so useful.

The class is through the US Army, and is only for Army families. The military is really caring about the soldiers' families. Atleast they are at the base we are at.

I am also trying to find other classes for infant care as well. I will be attending a postpartum care class, when I am able to find and opening that is in our area.
Thanks for the info on the books.

Sneaky2006
October 18th, 2004, 03:43 PM
I don't know if anyone mentioned this or not, I kinda skimmed the thread.
I got my son the leap pad learning system, it worked great! I wouldn't use it till they're 3ish? It helps identify, words, numbers and counting, instruments, parts of the world... it has everything (the books do, you buy the system and then the books for each thing), you can pin-point what you want the child to learn by what books you put in it. It's awesome.
You touch the 'pen' to the words or objects that the child doesn't know and the book says it for you.

jackieb
October 18th, 2004, 03:46 PM
its really good isnt it i also have a childs computer which plays games and they get mouse skills it teaches letters etc.

Vtech used to be a good educational make in england dont know if you get it here. Also i have found that been around children helps them to devolpe my third boy is so advanced into everything already and hes 15 months he runs climbs and does alsorts the others didnt at his age so mixing does help.

Sneaky2006
October 18th, 2004, 03:48 PM
It is good, he has a computer like that too, although I think the leap pad was more useful to him. It seemed like he learned to read over night with that thing, I was really impressed.
I'm not saying he wouldn't have learned to read without it but I do think he's advanced in his reading class because of it. I believe it helped a lot.

jackieb
October 18th, 2004, 04:10 PM
my eldest hasnt learnt to read from it but he has learnt letters and different things we got a book on phonics to go on it to help his speach.

melanie
October 18th, 2004, 05:19 PM
funny, we had one of those computers for my nephew (sister single mum so we lived to gether for long time). when he was real little we would do the hang man games and what not. we used to use words like dog, cat, cow, cot etc. by the time he was 7 the words changed dramatically to real boy words, he started using words such as bum and smelly. it was so funny the transition form sweet babe to normal boy stuff. ah boys ya gotta love em :crazy: :love: :love:

lilith_rizel
October 18th, 2004, 05:52 PM
My husband and I were hoping we would have a boy, but the doctor says it is a girl. :love: We will just have to try harder next time. We really want to have a boy, because it is up to my husband to carry on the last name. He is the last male in the entire family with it. Plus, all either of us had were sisters. He had 1, and I had 5. So a boy in the family will be really nice.

lilith_rizel
October 18th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Does anyone know of a big oversized yellow book, that has numbers, letters, colors, words, shapes, ect which the characters are Zoe and Alex. It was printed sometime around the 1980's. My husband had it as a kid, and he can't remember what it was called, and his mom can't find where she put it. He said that he would really like to get it for our child, since it had everything in it.