Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Digging

lilith_rizel
October 17th, 2004, 03:21 PM
My 8 month old yellow lab just aquired a new habbit. He has started to dig holes in our yard. We have him outside most of the day, otherwise, he goes nuts, wanting to be out. We have tried letting him out for short periods of time, and as soon as we let him in, he wants to go right back out. My husband and I would like to know if anyone knows of a method to stop his digging. We have tried giving him plenty of toys, and playing with him, while outside, and we have tried telling him no. So far, nothing we have tried has worked. He has had this habbit for about 2 or 3 weeks now, ans our yard is starting to look like a burial site. PLEASE HELP US!

Mysts38
October 17th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Hi

There are many tricks that work,but know that dogs dig for several reasons,its in their natures,they are bored,they want attention,or its just a pleasure habit

1.Put his poop in the holes where he digs and perhaps lace it with some hot pepper sauce

2.Put in chicken wire,cover that with dirt and let him try to dig that hole..dogs dont like the feeling of metal against their nails/paws

3.Keeps lots of interesting toys around so he can play with those..and when he starts to play with his toys,give him lots of praise

4.Give him his own hole to dig....place a fav toy in one area where you feel its OK for him to dig and let him go there.

5.Give him MORE structered exercise,walking,playing etc..dogs arent meant to be left alone for long periods of time on their own..they can get into trouble that way

6.Obedience classes

Good luck

lilith_rizel
October 17th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks myst, I will try them and see if any work.

Lucky Rescue
October 17th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Give him MORE structered exercise,walking,playing etc..dogs arent meant to be left alone for long periods of time on their own..they can get into trouble that way

Agree.

Labs are high energy working dogs, and your dog is probably bored out of his skull. With nothing else to do out in the yard alone, digging at least passes the time and releases some energy.

Your dog needs hard exercise, training and something constructive to do - agility, fetching, obedience, etc.

lilith_rizel
October 18th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Yeah, my husband and I found out really quick, just how much energy he does have. We didn't expect so much from such a little thing ( weighed only about 15 pounds at 4 months) We spend about 3 hours total, each day, playing frisbee. I break it up into 4 or 5 sessions, because it is really hard for me to be on my feet for long periods of time. It does seem to help some. I will have to try to get out some more during weekends, and days my husband gets home earlier.

What can I do to keep him occupied when he is stuck inside on days that it is icky, or the lawn care personnel are out? All he does then is whine, and run around the house like a maniac, knocking things over. It seems like the only thing he ever wants is to be outside no matter what.

Writing4Fun
October 18th, 2004, 01:22 PM
On icky days I give Phoebe an indoor "stair master" workout. I stand in the living room and take turns throwing her favorite rope toy up and down the stairs. One set of stairs goes up to the bedrooms, and the other goes down to the playroom/basement. Not much of a workout for me - I just stand there and toss up or down. But the running up and down stairs seems to tire her out nicely. :)

lilith_rizel
October 18th, 2004, 01:28 PM
We have steps like that. I will have to try that. He enjoys sneaking upstairs, when he isn't supposed to, anyways. :) Little rascal. He KNOWS he can only be upstairs if invited. Otherwise, I have to sweep upstairs everyday just like I have to vaccumm downstairs 2 times a day, just to keep his fur from getting on my hubby's work uniforms.

Lucky Rescue
October 18th, 2004, 02:36 PM
You better get used to this, since Labs can go on this way until they are 5 or 6. ;) This is easier to see if you look at what Labs were bred to do - jump into freezing water, swim and retrieve ducks all day - so high energy is a must.

Nothing occupies my dog and keeps her busy like a big marrow or knuckle bone. You might want to try that.

Obedience drills also seem to tire some dogs out as well.

lilith_rizel
October 18th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks Lucky. We bought Cano a big bone about 3 weeks ago, and it did occupy him for a while. He still has about 1/4 of it. I put it up on the table for a while, because he lost interest after the first week and a half. He would probably love me even more if I gave it to him right now.
I guess after you said everything that labs are used for, I can see why they have to have all that energy. My husband would like to train him to be a hunting dog. He has about 3 of 4 years to train him, before we move back into the country, and he starts hunting for our meat, instead of buying it from the store and spending tons of money on it. Do you know where we could find help on his training? Are there any books that we should buy? He is already great at fetching his frisbee, and dropping it right at your feet when he comes back. How much training does he still need?

alajoagra
April 14th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Hello everyone! I am just writing because my sister is having the same problem. When she got the dog ( he is about 6 months old now. ) they told her she should put the dog in a crate during the day to potty train him, which she did for a little while, but now the weather is starting to get nice and she feels bad for him in his crate all day long so she tried leaving him out side but now he is digging holes all over the yard. He is apit bull, lab mix, I told her labs are known for digging but, I have forwarded her this thread so she can see what everyone thinks, let me know if there is anything else I need to know as he is half pit bull! Thanks everyone! TGIF!

rainbow
April 14th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Nothing occupies my dog and keeps her busy like a big marrow or knuckle bone. You might want to try that.

Lucky, would you recommend those for aggressive chewers. I gave them to my last two siberians and both ended up with cracked/broken teeth. Therefore, I`ve not given them to my dogs now who are very aggressive chewers. What do you think?

tenderfoot
April 14th, 2006, 09:36 PM
lilith, It does sound like he keeps you pretty busy and you are getting lots of exercise tending to him. I am going to play devils advocate - how much is he in control of your day? Is he saying "Let me out NOW"... "Let me in NOW"..."Throw the ball NOW"..."Feed me NOW"...you get the picture.
There is balance in all things. He needs physical and mental and emotional stimulation, but at what point are you conditioning an athlete? Balance the outside with the inside time. Balance the exercise with the mental workouts. When he is inside have him connected to you and work his brain a lot. Trust me mental workouts are just as tiring, plus you get the added benefit of having a well mannered dog.

mafiaprincess
April 15th, 2006, 02:44 AM
This is a really old post revived.. I doubt lilith is still having these issues 2 years later.. it's the person who revived the thread..

Leaving dogs outside without supervision is bad news. There are far too many things for a dog to get into, hang their collar on, get stolen, depending upon the yard harassed by unhappy neighbours or passers by. A dog needs supervision outside.. and if being supervised you can correct behaviour like digging.

Prin
April 15th, 2006, 01:53 PM
No, she's definitely not having those troubles- Cano was rehomed.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14323&highlight=cano

On a lighter note, Boo LOVES to dig and can dig on command (we thought it would work out like the "teach them to bark and stop" thing for stopping barking). It's unbelievably handy sometimes. He can do an hour's worth of human digging in about 5 minutes.

Here he is helping his daddy dig up an old tree stump.

Lucky Rescue
April 15th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Hello everyone! I am just writing because my sister is having the same problem. When she got the dog ( he is about 6 months old now. ) they told her she should put the dog in a crate during the day to potty train him, which she did for a little while, but now the weather is starting to get nice and she feels bad for him in his crate all day long so she tried leaving him out side but now he is digging holes all over the yard. He is apit bull, lab mix, I told her labs are known for digging but, I have forwarded her this thread so she can see what everyone thinks, let me know if there is anything else I need to know as he is half pit bull! Thanks everyone! TGIF!

She was told to use the crate for housetraining, and not for the dog to live in it. AFter being left in a small cage "all day long" and now left out in a yard, no wonder he's bored, overcharged with energy and has no way to use it up except for digging.

Leaving him outside is not the answer. He needs exercise and stimulation. What exercise is he getting? He should have at least one long walk a day, plus playtime, fetching or whatever.

I also suggest highly obedience classes so your sister can learn how to train a dog and get tips about how to care for one.

meb999
April 15th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Boo LOVES to dig and can dig on command (we thought it would work out like the "teach them to bark and stop" thing for stopping barking). It's unbelievably handy sometimes. He can do an hour's worth of human digging in about 5 minutes.

What a great idea -- teach a dog to dig on command!!
Can I borrow him for an afternoon?? I need to dig a new flower bed ;)

Prin
April 16th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Sure! Just one thing- he has a little ADD, so you have to try hard to keep him focused.:D

meb999
April 17th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Sure! Just one thing- he has a little ADD, so you have to try hard to keep him focused.:D

What he lacks in attention, he makes up in unbelievable cuteness!!