Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How much do I need to spend on a cat?

morexyz
October 17th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Hi, I'm about to buy a cat, but I have no clue how much will I have to spend on it. (I never had cats in apt before.). Not the actual cost of adopting, but rather ongoing expenses, such as litter, food, etc, whatever is it you normally buy for your cat on an ongoing fashion. It seems litter prices are exorbitant, what the hell, it seems to be almost as expensive as sugar !?

I just need to make up my mind if I really want to get a cat or not, or choose something else.

Roman.

anniebananie
October 17th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Cats are expensive creatures - plus the daily needs you also have to think about vet visits and paying or castrating when they are about 6 months old. If in doubt get a fish - they don't cost as much. Litter isn't that expensive - I get mine from Loblaws in 20kg bags for 5.99 per bag. Food isn't that expensive either for one cat. Cat toys though are expensive and you will need a good scratching post if you want to keep your furniture.

lilith_rizel
October 17th, 2004, 10:03 AM
I would say, give $25 for the cat each month, safely. just incase of a vet bill. Whatever you don't spend that month, add it to the next months available moneyo for the cat. It is what we do with our dog, and it seems to work out. We se aside $35 each month, his food costs $27 for a month, the extra $7, we use for treats, or save for the next month. It just seems so much easier to have a set amount to be able to spend on a pet, in your budget. It also will help if you have to take an emergency trip to the vet. :)

chico2
October 17th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Lilith,good idea,but I would say the cost is a little higher than $25/month,that is if you do not feed the crappy stuff from the grocery-store.
Between dry food,canned food and litter,plus yearly check-ups(not always necessary with an indoor cat)spay/neuter a must,food and litter alone probably more like $40/month+....but it's well worth it :thumbs up
Putting a little money away for emergencies is great!

lilith_rizel
October 17th, 2004, 10:44 AM
I was just figuring from what we spent each month on our lab. I guess after you mentioned all that, is a bit more spendy. But still not bad.

We have actually found some of the healthy brands at our grocery store, and for only $26 for 40 pounds. It is probably like that just because the store is for military families only. Everything is cheaper at military stores! and they tend to be better too. We can get a box of pop for $2. I love it.

Dwight Byrd
October 17th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Consider adopting a cat from a shelter instead of buying one. In terms of how much a cat will cost you, beleive me it is not much. You will get so much more in return for the little you spend. I have had my cadeau now for 14 years. I got her from the humane society when she was just a little waif. Cat food, litter costs, vet bills, I consider it just like having kids. you adopt them, you take care of them, for life. :rolleyes:

Lucky Rescue
October 17th, 2004, 11:03 AM
To get a healthy kitten from a rescue, figure about 100$. That INCLUDES spaying or neutering, dewormed and deflead and health checked. Kittens are also vaccinated.

If you get a kitten from anywhere else, you will still have to do that on your own, and it would probably be nearly double.

I get 18KG of cat litter for 5.99$. Walmart has it for even less usually.

Cat food might be 0.40 - .60 cents a can, depending, or you can buy dry. Canned is better if you get a male cat or you can feed a combination of both.

Beds, toys, scratching posts, a cat carrier, bowls etc will probably run another 100$+.

And putting away money every week for unexpected health problems is a very good idea.:)

lilith_rizel
October 17th, 2004, 11:06 AM
What a preetty kitty you have there. Looks like one my mother rescued when I was little, but much bigger. Ours was the size of a 4 month old kitty, but must have been older, because shortly after my mom saved her, she had kittens. 5 of them!! She was just so tiny, we couldn't believe it.

Dwight Byrd
October 17th, 2004, 11:17 AM
:) Thanks for the compliments on Cadeau. She really is a princess. Next July 1st, it will be 15 years we have had her .... where has the time gone. Every day with her is precious though. She does have a unique personality :evil: and is well known for her "hissy fits" with strangers. (But she is really an angel :angel: )She has all of her claws, which I have been trimming myself since she was a kittlen. She just lays back now and lets me do it. Personally, I could never declaw ... ouch! :eek:
Here is another cute pic.

tyr
October 18th, 2004, 03:01 PM
That kitty is a beauty. Looks like one of my cats from back home named Sparky. Only he is grey and maybe a little bit bigger - a huge suck. He is on my desktop right now. I will see if I can put his picture in - the faces are so close to identical - they could be siblings:)

As for the question at hand - as to how much to spend. Here is my (give or take a bit) usual expenses.

Cat Food: Friskies wet 0.65/ can
dry 4.49/ bag

* I feed my the big cats a tablespoon of wet 2X per day and the baby a tablespoon and a half. The dry food sits out all day.

Litter: 1.99 - 3.89 (depending on where I go). 99% Dust free and scented to control odor. I scoop everyday and clean the boxes about every 4-5 days.

Vet: Runs about 49.00 per cat. The older ones are recommened to only have to go once a year. The kitten once every month or two. This fee is for a regular check up and up-to-date vacinations and a rabies shot (even though they are indoors).

Like LR said earlier it is best to put aside for those rainy days that may occur. I have a seperate savings account just for things like that. You do not have to go to such extremes, but it is good to have a little bit saved.

You can make your own cat toys at home. Be creative, cats will play with anything! Just make sure that it is something that will not be dangerous to them.

I do not have scratching posts or anything like that. My husband and I do not really care if our furniture gets scratched up a little. They like to do it on the one side of both our love seat and couch.

Litter boxes range between 19.99 and up. I prefer to use the hooded boxes with the odor control as it keeps in the litter when they cover up, helps with the odor and gives them that little extra privacy that they deserve :D

Any little extras that you love to give your cats is a wonderful treat for them.

Hope that this was helpful:)

lilith_rizel
October 18th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Declawing is mean kinda mean, and I would never do it either.

JKC27
October 19th, 2004, 03:16 PM
The 1st year is the most expensive. The humane society of Windsor-Essex County charges $75 for a kitten adoption which includes first shots, microchipping. The couple vet visits and then *fixing* should be all the vet costs in the 1st year. After that, 1 annual visit. The food isn't too expensive, but I like getting Iams or Science Diet ($1.00/can). I made my own scratching post and climbing-jungle gym thing with scrap wood pieces I had laying around, as well as some scrap carpet remnants.