Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Biting puppy

Chihuahualover6
February 5th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Good am everyone! I wasn't sure where to ask this question so hope someone can help! I have a 9 wk old puppy who I hand raised and bottle fed since day three! She has quite a few minor problems such as blind in one eye, cleft pallette and crooked jaw! It's been a real struggle to keep her alive but she pulled through! Now she's doing great, eating well although she still looks like the size of a 3 week old puppy!
My question is her behavior! She bites badly! She looks likes she's playing but I don't think she is. She'll bite your face or nomatter what part of your skin she gets a hold of! I've tried putting chew toys ect... In her mouth to bite instead of me but she goes right back for the skin! I guess I'm worried that it might be a behavior due from the congential defects! (Left side of her face is effected)
Can anyone suggest anything I could do to stop her from acting like a vicious dog? I'm praying its just a puppy thing!!!
Thanks,
Jodi

Loki Love
February 5th, 2013, 08:43 AM
It's definitely a puppy thing -, but something you'll need to keep working on in order to get it under control. Most puppies learn bite inhibition from their siblings and momma, so you have a bit of extra work to do :)

My suggestion is to stop all play, altogether if she starts to nip and bite. Get up and walk away. She should soon learn that nipping/biting = play/fun ending. The trick is to be consistent and have EVERYONE on board.

Good luck! I'd love to see some pictures too :)

Barkingdog
February 5th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Marty was very mouthy when I brought him home. A dog trainer told me when Marty got mouthy with me I should push him away and turn my back to him , like his mother would do. I did this about 4 times and Marty got the message. I just gave him a light push , not one that would knock him over.