Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

First car ride!

lilith_rizel
October 16th, 2004, 05:57 PM
I took our 8 month old yellow lab, Cano, for his first car ride about half an hour ago. I kept him on his leash, and tied it of the bottom of the seat in the back of the car. I drove to the gas station and back (4 miles) and he was great. Most of the time he just sat and looked out the window! He didn't try to get up front until I parked the car to go and get a Sobe from the gas station. When I got back out, a couple minutes later, he was still in the back seat , but had managed to untie his leash from the seat.
I thought that his first car ride would have been a little more hectic than it was. He was such a good boy!! I have no doubt that the long car ride to our new home will be any problem. The only thing he really needs to learn, is how not to sit in the middle of the back seat, and to sit on the outside, or lay on the floor, but we have plenty of time for that!! :D

BamaRama
October 17th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Hey;

My parent's got a wonderful thing for their dog (a German shepherd/greyhound mix) which I'm sure you can find in any pet supply store such as Petsmart or Petcetera. It's a harness that you put on the dog that is padded and has a loop in the back which you put the back seat seatbelt through and then close the seat belt. So, it's a doggie seat belt, and it's great in case of accidents or whatever, so your dog won't go flying through the windshield. Anyways, Daisy (my parent's dog) still has plenty of room/leeway to move around the backseat, but she can't get to the front seat, and she is safe, so really it's a dual purpose type thing.

Definitely look in to it, I think it's a great invention!

Plus, seeing your dog in the harness and putting it on and him/her with them knowing that they're going for a car ride is priceless as well;) hehe.

Dwight Byrd
October 17th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Hi,

My "Buddy" (4 year old Golden Retreiver) is great for short car rides, but if he is in the car too long, he will usually get sick to his stomach. I suspect that this is not something he may easily, or every overcome. Any suggestions? :eek:

lilith_rizel
October 17th, 2004, 11:11 AM
I guess we may be in the same position. I am hoping that Cano won't have problems with long car rides. Because in a few months he will have to go on a car ride that is 1300+ miles to move to our new home. Plus having to take care of a newborn at the same time, it will one long ride. Luckily, my husband will be the one driving, so I will be able to do my best. I am going to start looking for things that may help, if I find anything I will send you a message.